Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with dog

Moving to Spain with dog

Old Jan 26th 2014, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

MillerPOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain with dog

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice. We are moving out to Southern Spain in November. We are thinking this would be a good time as this would give our (long haired) Border Collie some time to adjust to the heat. However, we are still a little concerned about bringing him out. It can get very hot out and when we had a heat wave in Ireland during the summer he was quite lethargic at times (he was out during the day though). Obviously, we wouldn't have him out in the midday heat in Spain - two long walks in the morning and evening and shorter ones in daytime. I would love to hear some stories of other big dogs or border collies that have been brought out to Spain and how they got on. Are there any other forums that we should be on that discuss this? Also, is there other advice anyone could give us, please do!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 5:14 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain with dog

Originally Posted by MillerPOB
Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice. We are moving out to Southern Spain in November. We are thinking this would be a good time as this would give our (long haired) Border Collie some time to adjust to the heat. However, we are still a little concerned about bringing him out. It can get very hot out and when we had a heat wave in Ireland during the summer he was quite lethargic at times (he was out during the day though). Obviously, we wouldn't have him out in the midday heat in Spain - two long walks in the morning and evening and shorter ones in daytime. I would love to hear some stories of other big dogs or border collies that have been brought out to Spain and how they got on. Are there any other forums that we should be on that discuss this? Also, is there other advice anyone could give us, please do!
I am sure that there will be many members who have dogs, unfortunately I only know of IamStu, who has two dogs and lives in southern Spain. As an owner of two dogs myself I applaud your careful consideration of you dog's welfare.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I brought two dogs over from England.. one is a long haired lurcher... they both seemed to adapt quite well... the good thing about spanish houses is the cool tiles instead of carpets... when the dogs get hot they lay on the tiles... I would say be careful of the "short" walks in summer... it only takes a little while to burn their pads off if walking on tarmac.. many people have found this out the hard way.. but I have found my dogs have settled well to the climate... We have since rescued two abandonees... and being Spanish dogs.. when it rains wild horses won't drag them outdoors... good luck with your move x
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillerPOB
Hi all,

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

One tip I was given years ago for the summer months was to soak a couple of old towels in cold water, wring them out, put them in plastic bags and then place in the fridge.
When ever the dog gets too hot take out a towel, spread it on the floor and let him lay on it.
I have never had to do it for our Spanish rescue pooch as he can stand the heat better than me.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

My Mutt is normally very active, but once the hot weather comes he doesn't like it one bit and much prefers the night-time.
However that brings forth it's own problems with the dreaded sandfly.
Fortunately I'm normally in N.Europe during the worst of the Summer heat.

My Spanish neighbour has two small dogs, he takes them to the Vet to get a complete shave apart from a tuft on their tails and top of their head which makes them look comical.
If the Summer continues long and hot he has them shaved a second time.
He has a very shaded garden so I don't suppose there's too much risk of sunstroke/sunburn.