Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to spain with children

Moving to spain with children

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Estybelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to spain with children

Hi There Everyone, My Husband and I have been seriously considering moving to spain with our 2 children who are 13 and 7. Our concern is naturally, their schooling. can anyone advise me on the schooling situation? Also, do we get a mortgage in spain or with a british bank?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to spain with children

Originally Posted by Estybelle
Hi There Everyone, My Husband and I have been seriously considering moving to spain with our 2 children who are 13 and 7. Our concern is naturally, their schooling. can anyone advise me on the schooling situation? Also, do we get a mortgage in spain or with a british bank?
hiya and good luck, i am sure you will get lots of advice here. As far as the kids, well they will certainly have a better and safer life here than the UK. Your 7 yr old is a perfect age but you may have issues, based on other peoples experiences, with the teenager, spanish schools are VERY different than uk ones!

good luck
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
hiya and good luck, i am sure you will get lots of advice here. As far as the kids, well they will certainly have a better and safer life here than the UK. Your 7 yr old is a perfect age but you may have issues, based on other peoples experiences, with the teenager, spanish schools are VERY different than uk ones!

good luck
well yes, but the biggest problem will be the language, of course

a 13 year old has little to no chance of learning Spanish well enough to graduate on time or go onto higher/further education at all

the OP should look into international/british schools
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing regarding schooling is what language is used. I was told this week by a teacher that around our area everything is taught in Valenciano apart from one lesson per week in Castellan and for some one lesson in English.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:16 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get one, a mortgage from a Spanish bank is probably best, altho I think they want you to have lived in Spain for a year (something like that???). British banks are reluctant to issue mortgages on properties outside of Britain

Jo xxx
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Another thing regarding schooling is what language is used. I was told this week by a teacher that around our area everything is taught in Valenciano apart from one lesson per week in Castellan and for some one lesson in English.

Rosemary
yes, my 15 year old does everything in Valenciano except for German & Castellano - but she chose to transfer to the linea valenciana in secondary school

however my 11 year in primary does most of her subjects in castellano -about 60%, & the rest in Valenciano

next year she will be in secondary, but will stay in the linea castellana, so the majority of her classes will be in Castellano
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
If you can get one, a mortgage from a Spanish bank is probably best, altho I think they want you to have lived in Spain for a year (something like that???). British banks are reluctant to issue mortgages on properties outside of Britain

Jo xxx

We bought our villa with a mortgage from a spanish bank and we were not living in Spain
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find it very difficult to get a Spanish mortgage even if you are resident and even more unlikely to get a UK mortgage on a Spanish property - they won't even lend to properties in the UK!

Things have changed somewhat in the last two years!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

pablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant future

Hi Estybelle,

Firstly, have you decided on where you will be relocating to in Spain? Is there an International school there?
It has already been commented that your 13yr old may find it difficult to adapt, especially if they don't speak Spanish. Have you spoken, to him or her about the move? What was the reaction?
It is hard enough, to have to leave all their friends and family behind, but starting in a foreign Country with a different language, is difficult for teenagers.

With regards to getting a mortgage, I would seek professional advice but why not think about renting somewhere, before you burn all your bridges!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes, my 15 year old does everything in Valenciano except for German & Castellano - but she chose to transfer to the linea valenciana in secondary school

however my 11 year in primary does most of her subjects in castellano -about 60%, & the rest in Valenciano

next year she will be in secondary, but will stay in the linea castellana, so the majority of her classes will be in Castellano
Just goes to show that each area is different. Majority of lessons in valenciano around here but a more equal divide and even a choice where you are.

Rosemary
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Just goes to show that each area is different. Majority of lessons in valenciano around here but a more equal divide and even a choice where you are.

Rosemary
I think it might be because there are more 'non-locals' here, by which I don't really mean non-Spanish

there are a lot of Spanish people living here from all over Spain who don't have any background in Valenciano

that said, in the primary school in the port, and one of them in the 'old town', where traditionally more 'locals' live, there is more bais towards valenciano

but there is still (sort of) a choice
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Our daughter is in a castellano class but is taught in valenciano in everything except castellano and of course english.

Already she speaks some "churro" which is a dialect and not a donut.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer

I never thought of a churro as a doughnut, though I guess it kind of is, except for the shape that is
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:13 pm

Our daughter is in a castellano class but is taught in valenciano in everything except castellano and of course english.

How on earth did she manage when you first moved here. Did the school provide additional language lessons for her?

rosemary
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

According to wikipedia, "churro" is basically Castellano/Spanish with some very small grammar changes and is spoken only in the North West of Valencia. Valenciana is a different language altogether.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castellano_churro

Very interesting. Make sure you daughter doesnt get confused with regular Castellano though and then get marked down in her exams!