Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving spain on benefits

moving spain on benefits

Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:06 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 4
sjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question moving spain on benefits

hi, currently in the uk i receive for myself, husband & son contribution based ESA, PIP & mobility component & my husband gets carers allowance, i am toying with the idea of moving to Spain but am trying to find out whether i would still get my benefits, Direct Gov site says i would need to apply for benefits when i move, but how long does this take, as i cant work i would need to be sure i would still be in receipt of benefits as neither of us stands to get any state pension.
also could i get any rent paid abroad, hopeing an ex pat may be in simillar situation and can advise
Sue
sjones1 is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:26 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 48
Justaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

I know some benefits can be exported, I'm sure which ones.
i can't imagine any benefit would be paid for rent in a property in Spain.
I dont understand when you say you have been told to apply for benefits when you move.
Does that mean reapply for the benefits you already receive or apply for benefits that will be paid by the Spanish system.
If it is the latter, you won't any help, its nothing to do with brexit, help for the vulnerable in Spain is a complete non-starter.
Justaskin is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:30 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
el collado kid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Location: jalon valley costa Blanca
Posts: 4,283
el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by sjones1
hi, currently in the uk i receive for myself, husband & son contribution based ESA, PIP & mobility component & my husband gets carers allowance, i am toying with the idea of moving to Spain but am trying to find out whether i would still get my benefits, Direct Gov site says i would need to apply for benefits when i move, but how long does this take, as i cant work i would need to be sure i would still be in receipt of benefits as neither of us stands to get any state pension.
also could i get any rent paid abroad, hopeing an ex pat may be in simillar situation and can advise
Sue
Hi sue. in my opinion i would not even think about it. can you speak Spanish. The system in spain is if you don,t pay in you get nothing,i found this out personal.and if you don,t speak Spanish the system is horrendously difficult. you are better off where you are. i,m sorry if i,m blunt but in my opinion this is the truth. Of course i don,t know your full circumstances from this post.
el collado kid is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:46 pm
  #4  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,944
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by sjones1
hi, currently in the uk i receive for myself, husband & son contribution based ESA, PIP & mobility component & my husband gets carers allowance, i am toying with the idea of moving to Spain but am trying to find out whether i would still get my benefits, Direct Gov site says i would need to apply for benefits when i move, but how long does this take, as i cant work i would need to be sure i would still be in receipt of benefits as neither of us stands to get any state pension.
also could i get any rent paid abroad, hopeing an ex pat may be in simillar situation and can advise
Sue
I would suggest you phone DWP and ask which if any of the benefits you currently receive are transferable..

You are required to tell DWP that you are leaving UK. I do know some do not, but if and when DWP find out ………………….

Last edited by missile; Sep 4th 2019 at 2:21 pm.
missile is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:58 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Granada Province
Posts: 549
lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

You need to get your position sorted with the DWP, Spain will not help you at all (not suggesting you expect that, but that's the score here)
What about gaining residency? Post Brexit 'below the radar' will be a non starter. Will the DWP give you transferable health care, will your income be sufficient to satisfy the requirements? Otherwise it could be private healthcare.

The BIG thing you will have to show is that your family will not be a 'burden on the State' which are their words, not mine.

Please do your research carefully in all aspects before you make the jump, post Brexit your freedom of movement will be in question, get it all together with proper advice and further guidance from the DWP.
lurchio is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:21 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Retired in Euskadi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Elorrio, Bizkaia
Posts: 1,030
Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by sjones1
hi, currently in the uk i receive for myself, husband & son contribution based ESA, PIP & mobility component & my husband gets carers allowance, i am toying with the idea of moving to Spain but am trying to find out whether i would still get my benefits, Direct Gov site says i would need to apply for benefits when i move, but how long does this take, as i cant work i would need to be sure i would still be in receipt of benefits as neither of us stands to get any state pension.
also could i get any rent paid abroad, hopeing an ex pat may be in simillar situation and can advise
Sue
We have lived in the Basque country for 10 years, retired with our eldest son who has Down's syndrome, aged 42. We worked for about 35 years in UK, hence paid into the system.
My wife is Basque, so understands Spanish!! Our son gets Disability Living Allowance from the DWP that is paid into our account in England. If you move to Spain, do NOT close your UK bank account as you wouldn't be able to open another one in the UK later.
He also gets paid another allowance from Spain, paid into our account here. This is instead of us receiving the full amount from England. In other words, he gets half from UK and half from Spain. The DWP would need to be informed prior to your moving to Spain. If you can, start before 31st October, just in case!!

In order to get the allowance from Spain, you need to "jump" through lots of hoops in order to get what is known here as a % disability, which means the person concerned has to go through various assessments by physiologists, psychologists, audiologists, occulists and uncle Tom Cobbly! He/she is then given a % disability; that doesn't exist in UK, unless things have changed. You are then assessed according to the % disability and paid accordingly. Our son's is 89%.

If you prefer to keep it simple and go through the DWP only, fine. the money will then be paid into your UK account and you can periodically transfer a given amount via one of the various currency exchange services (eg Moneycorp, Currency Fair, HiFx), rather than through a UK bank, which normally charges more.

We are blessed here with support for our son. He goes to work at a special centre 10km away, gets paid a small amount monthly (about €70) and belongs to a local "club" for the "disabled", which organises weekly get-togethers, annual holidays, periodic outings, etc. All in all, a great life!
However, things in Spain vary from province to province. The Basque country is pretty well off whereas other regions such as Andalucia, Extremadura may not offer the same services.
Hope that helps you a little.

Last edited by Retired in Euskadi; Sep 4th 2019 at 3:26 pm.
Retired in Euskadi is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:26 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
el collado kid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Location: jalon valley costa Blanca
Posts: 4,283
el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
We live in the Basque country with our eldest son who has Down's syndrome, aged 42.
My wife is Basque, so understands the language! Our son gets Disability Living Allowance that is paid into our account in England. If you move to Spain, do NOT close your UK bank account as you wouldn't be able to open another one in the UK later.
He also gets paid another allowance from Spain, paid into our account here. This is instead of us receiving the full amount from England. In other words, he gets half from UK and half from Spain. The DWP would need to be informed prior to your moving to Spain. If you can, start before 31st October, just in case!!

In order to get the allowance from Spain, you need to "jump" through lots of hoops in order to get what is known here as a % disability, which means the person concerned has to go through various assessments by physiologists, psychologists, audiologists, occulists and uncle Tom Cobbly! He/she is then given a % disability; that doesn't exist in UK, unless things have changed. You are then assessed according to the % disability and paid accordingly. Our son's is 89%.

If you prefer to keep it simple and go through the DWP only, fine. the money will then be paid into your UK account and you can periodically transfer a given amount via one of the various currency exchange services (eg Moneycorp, Currency Fair, HiFx), rather than through a UK bank, which normally charges more.

We are blessed here with support for our son. He goes to work at a special centre 10km away, gets paid a small amount monthly (about €70) and belongs to a local "club" for the "disabled", which organises weekly get-togethers, annual holidays, periodic outings, etc. All in all, a great life!
However, things in Spain vary from province to province. The Basque country is pretty well off whereas other regions such as Andalucia, Extremadura may not offer the same services.
Hope that helps you a little.
wow great post.
el collado kid is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:29 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Retired in Euskadi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Elorrio, Bizkaia
Posts: 1,030
Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by lurchio
You need to get your position sorted with the DWP, Spain will not help you at all (not suggesting you expect that, but that's the score here)
What about gaining residency? Post Brexit 'below the radar' will be a non starter. Will the DWP give you transferable health care, will your income be sufficient to satisfy the requirements? Otherwise it could be private healthcare.

The BIG thing you will have to show is that your family will not be a 'burden on the State' which are their words, not mine.

Please do your research carefully in all aspects before you make the jump, post Brexit your freedom of movement will be in question, get it all together with proper advice and further guidance from the DWP.
Spain will not help you at all (not suggesting you expect that, but that's the score here)
That's not entirely true according to our experience.
Retired in Euskadi is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:50 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 4
sjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
We have lived in the Basque country for 10 years, retired with our eldest son who has Down's syndrome, aged 42. We worked for about 35 years in UK, hence paid into the system.
My wife is Basque, so understands Spanish!! Our son gets Disability Living Allowance from the DWP that is paid into our account in England. If you move to Spain, do NOT close your UK bank account as you wouldn't be able to open another one in the UK later.
He also gets paid another allowance from Spain, paid into our account here. This is instead of us receiving the full amount from England. In other words, he gets half from UK and half from Spain. The DWP would need to be informed prior to your moving to Spain. If you can, start before 31st October, just in case!!

In order to get the allowance from Spain, you need to "jump" through lots of hoops in order to get what is known here as a % disability, which means the person concerned has to go through various assessments by physiologists, psychologists, audiologists, occulists and uncle Tom Cobbly! He/she is then given a % disability; that doesn't exist in UK, unless things have changed. You are then assessed according to the % disability and paid accordingly. Our son's is 89%.

If you prefer to keep it simple and go through the DWP only, fine. the money will then be paid into your UK account and you can periodically transfer a given amount via one of the various currency exchange services (eg Moneycorp, Currency Fair, HiFx), rather than through a UK bank, which normally charges more.

We are blessed here with support for our son. He goes to work at a special centre 10km away, gets paid a small amount monthly (about €70) and belongs to a local "club" for the "disabled", which organises weekly get-togethers, annual holidays, periodic outings, etc. All in all, a great life!
However, things in Spain vary from province to province. The Basque country is pretty well off whereas other regions such as Andalucia, Extremadura may not offer the same services.
Hope that helps you a little.
Thanks for reply, was thinking Alicante area, as i said i get ESA & PIP so will have to check, it would be great if i can just get my benefits still paid into uk bank but if i have to apply for benefits like it says on direct gov, it says i need to make a claim to these:

You must write to the Exportability Team Co-ordinator to make a claim or change any personal details, for example your address or bank account.
They deal with:
  • the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
If you’re making a claim, your letter should say:
  • what benefits you want to claim
  • where you live
will need to look into it more

thanks again
Sue
sjones1 is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 8:36 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Granada Province
Posts: 549
lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
That's not entirely true according to our experience.
Okay, so can you expand and inform the OP of your experience?
lurchio is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2019, 11:17 pm
  #11  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,803
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by lurchio
Okay, so can you expand and inform the OP of your experience?
Isn't that what they did in their long post above?
Pollyana is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2019, 12:40 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Granada Province
Posts: 549
lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Isn't that what they did in their long post above?
Doh!!!🙄
lurchio is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:56 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Retired in Euskadi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Elorrio, Bizkaia
Posts: 1,030
Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

I did, see above!
Retired in Euskadi is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:28 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
bob_bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: South Wales and abroad
Posts: 788
bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Good informative post Euskadi (the long one)

As I understand it, the OP can't work, her husband can't work, no idea how old her son is but given the level of mass youth unemployment its extremely doubtful he will work?

What happens when ATOS want to see you for a PIP assessment, won't be cheap to fly the family back to the UK, provide a hotel then fly them back to Spain.

So broadly speaking we have a family who can't work wanting to move to the sunshine and continue not working and to have it all funded by the UK taxpayer...would that be the situation in a nutshell or have I missed something?
bob_bob is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:40 am
  #15  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,944
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by bob_bob
…. So broadly speaking we have a family who can't work wanting to move to the sunshine and continue not working and to have it all funded by the UK taxpayer...would that be the situation in a nutshell or have I missed something?
That seems to be the situation in a nutshell. I am aware of at least one family i.e. my next door but one neighbours who have done exactly that for nearly twenty years.
missile is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.