Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving spain on benefits

moving spain on benefits

Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by missile
That seems to be the situation in a nutshell. I am aware of at least one family i.e. my next door but one neighbours who have done exactly that for nearly twenty years.
Therfore defrauding the British government. When we moved to Spain my wife lost all benefits, but a few years later the EU told the UK they had to pay DLA, so that was what we got, other benefits were lost like Mobility Allowance. Your neighbours are obviously telling the DWP that they are living in the UK.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving spain on benefits

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Good informative post Euskadi (the long one)

As I understand it, the OP can't work, her husband can't work, no idea how old her son is but given the level of mass youth unemployment its extremely doubtful he will work?

What happens when ATOS want to see you for a PIP assessment, won't be cheap to fly the family back to the UK, provide a hotel then fly them back to Spain.

So broadly speaking we have a family who can't work wanting to move to the sunshine and continue not working and to have it all funded by the UK taxpayer...would that be the situation in a nutshell or have I missed something?
Originally Posted by missile
That seems to be the situation in a nutshell. I am aware of at least one family i.e. my next door but one neighbours who have done exactly that for nearly twenty years.
Idid not want to say it like this, as my post. but the nutshell is getting bigger. totally agree Euskadi good informative post the long one.sorry forgot you too mike

Last edited by el collado kid; Sep 5th 2019 at 3:26 pm. Reason: forgot mike
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The real point is that the UK pays some disablilty benefits to people in Spain because the EU forced them to, once we are out they will be an easy target for them to save money.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose if the OP is entitled to the benefit, where they spend it and what on is their choice?
Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The real point is that the UK pays some disablilty benefits to people in Spain because the EU forced them to, once we are out they will be an easy target for them to save money.
Wait for it, wait for it!
Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving spain on benefits

this is what i mean that they would be better to stay put and keep what they have got the future is uncertain and once in spain they will be on there own i think
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:34 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by el collado kid
this is what i mean that they would be better to stay put and keep what they have got the future is uncertain and once in spain they will be on there own i think
I totally agree, I wouldn't consider moving to another EU country till after Brexit now, with all the recent political shenanigins
Old Sep 5th 2019, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Justaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree, I wouldn't consider moving to another EU country till after Brexit now, with all the recent political shenanigins
Especially if one hasn't got the financial capacity to self-fund the move.
One thing is using your own money, as opposed to relying on the government maintaining the status quo as regards benefits.
Benefits, which I am sure were devised to make life more comfortable for recipients who actually reside and spend their income in the UK.
Benefit recipients who live in other countries would be the first to be deprived of their income if push came to shove.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

sjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Good informative post Euskadi (the long one)

As I understand it, the OP can't work, her husband can't work, no idea how old her son is but given the level of mass youth unemployment its extremely doubtful he will work?

What happens when ATOS want to see you for a PIP assessment, won't be cheap to fly the family back to the UK, provide a hotel then fly them back to Spain.

So broadly speaking we have a family who can't work wanting to move to the sunshine and continue not working and to have it all funded by the UK taxpayer...would that be the situation in a nutshell or have I missed something?
my son has a job lined up with a friend over there, i would love to work, but as i suffer from many conditions, cant, please do not accuse me of being a sponger as myself and husband have done our share of hard work and paying into the system
Old Sep 12th 2019, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

sjones1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i do not intend to sponge, i have worked hard over the years & after surgery left me in a wheelchair i have fought hard for the benefits i receive, i have never claimed anything i didnt need.
i would inform DWP if i did decide to move abroad & yes i realise that Bretix will affect things.
i was after advice, not to be slagged off
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Justaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond reputeJustaskin has a reputation beyond repute

The general advice seems to be to get registered in Spain as soon as possible.
that may be good for some people depending on their situation.
As for hoping that all rights to non-pensioner aged benefits to be honoured for people who haven't arrived or registered in Spain yet, I think that is being way too optimistic.

Nobody knows what will happen to Brits in spain and Spanish in the UK.

A dirty tit for tat war might happen.
When the dust has settled after Bojo's deadline tgat would be the best time to get an answer as to what benefits etc would be claimable in the EU.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justaskin
The general advice seems to be to get registered in Spain as soon as possible.
that may be good for some people depending on their situation.
As for hoping that all rights to non-pensioner aged benefits to be honoured for people who haven't arrived or registered in Spain yet, I think that is being way too optimistic.

Nobody knows what will happen to Brits in spain and Spanish in the UK.

A dirty tit for tat war might happen.
When the dust has settled after Bojo's deadline tgat would be the best time to get an answer as to what benefits etc would be claimable in the EU.
All fair to say. Wait until the current storm is over, you may or may not be pleasantly surprised. Even those of us who are established here do not really know what will happen, especially healthcare. On Brexit , you will probably lose your free movement here as a non EU citizen and will have to get through the hoops from the off. Impossible if the UK change their stance on benefits overseas, and ANYTHING is currently possible. If your Son has a job offer, as long as its a proper Contract and paying contributions here, get him over first! If its 'black money'.......forget it until the dust has settled, you could be heading for disaster and no doubt that will make things worse.
Keep an eye on Brexit DEFINITES
Old Oct 4th 2019, 8:32 am
Just Joined

jonnymc is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot advise on benefits and the like, but if you wanted to sample the life here wouldnt it be best to get say a 6 month flat rental and not being officially registered until you can figure out the financial side?

That way you can always return to the UK if you want to or if the Brexit thing blows up. Have you looked at any of the websites for rentals? (Plus there are alot of off season flats from September to June which you could grab a bargain on.