Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Old Jan 20th 2023, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain

Originally Posted by Moses2013
This is another good point and while Spain might have been cheaper many years ago, I don't find this to be the case with everything (depends on location). Of course I can only compare with how we live in Ireland (Galway) and where we have property in Spain (Girona), but for me moving permanently would not mean my money would go further. In any case I enjoy both Ireland and Spain, so for me it's more about giving up one lifestyle and not about cost savings.
Exactly hence I said its Horses for Courses as everyone is different with their own circumstances, likes and dislikes. Main thing is being happy in your choice and making it work. We retain a property in the UK rented out as one never knows what the future holds and how ones circumstances could change.
Old Jan 20th 2023, 11:29 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Exactly hence I said its Horses for Courses as everyone is different with their own circumstances, likes and dislikes. Main thing is being happy in your choice and making it work. We retain a property in the UK rented out as one never knows what the future holds and how ones circumstances could change.
Far too often people presume that all Brits who choose to live in Spain are sun worshipers and live in areas where there are loads of Brits, eat mainly English food, watch English TV etc, etc. As you so rightly say, every one is different and will want to live their lives according to their own likes and dislikes. Personally I much prefer to be fully integrated with the Spanish in a small town so my choice suits me perfectly but I know that a lot of people would absolutely hate it. Each to their own. I do not knock the UK or any other country. did not leave for any other reason than following my husbands dream. To be honest neither of us thought that I would last here and when my husband died my family thought that I would return to the UK but I had put down very firm roots so stayed and never regretted it.

Rosemary
Old Jan 20th 2023, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

I not sure how much this is helping the OP or the wider audience ie the many people who read these threads but don't join the forum.

Beware the rose tinted glasses in both directions. We first bought land in Spain in 1998 and have seen plenty of people fail and forced to return to the UK and also seen the effects of homesickness (not something my partner and I have ever suffered with) with people rushing back to the UK and later regretting it. It's similar in Portugal but I would say the success rate is higher.

​​​​​​We do not have children meaning we have found it very easy to slot in as residential tourists in Spain and Portugal. My advice is keep it simple, take the easiest options and don't get involved with complicated business ideas/plans. We met someone years ago who sold an investment flat in London and then started letting out holiday accommodation in Spain. Basically, they made roughly the same amount of money but with barrel loads of hassle and much harder work.

We have done very well out of the whole experience and don't have any regrets. I detest Brexit and I think it's tragic that the loss of EU freedom of movement has left UK nationals scratching around for visas and that people will no longer be able to do what we did in the way that we did.

Old Jan 20th 2023, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
I not sure how much this is helping the OP or the wider audience ie the many people who read these threads but don't join the forum.
Those who don't want to hear the truth are probably wrong here anyway. I know it sometimes sounds negative, if it was so easy there are 460+ million native Spanish speakers who could run a B&B or Bar.
I'm not totally against it, but the banks would be handing out loans to everyone if that was the way forward. I suppose the OP has her answer anyway and the easiest option is the Polish passport.