Reload this Page >

Moving to spain

Moving to spain

Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

babytams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to spain

Hi I'm new to this site.
I'm from America my fiancé is from England we plan on getting married in the fall of this year.I am retired and he working part time.we are thinking about moving to Spain.
We would appreciate any information and advice on
Healthcare,citizenship.
Also as i am from America how long can i stay in Spain at one time .
Here on England it's 6 months.
Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to spain

Access to healthcare is via working and paying contributions or paying as you go or taking out insurance (So much like USA I guess) You will not qualify for citizenship for 10 years under current rules. Suggest you research Spanish government sites and or obtain some up to-date books. Obviously most of your rights will come via him (being Uk/EU citizen, at least until Brexit takes hold) Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babytams
Hi I'm new to this site.
I'm from America my fiancé is from England we plan on getting married in the fall of this year.I am retired and he working part time.we are thinking about moving to Spain.
We would appreciate any information and advice on
Healthcare,citizenship.
Also as i am from America how long can i stay in Spain at one time .
Here on England it's 6 months.
Thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 19th 2017, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary
My name is Myra and my fiance is Steve we are new to this site and the Internet as well.
We appreciate all the advice we and get .
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babytams
Hi Rosemary
My name is Myra and my fiance is Steve we are new to this site and the Internet as well.
We appreciate all the advice we and get .
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.
If you are married, then once your fiance reaches UK retirement age he an get form S1 from the DWP and that will allow both of you to get Spanish healthcare in the same way that retired Spanish people get. One caveat is that the UK is leaving the EU, so the rules may change.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The rules WILL change. Judging by the number of people posting on this forum about moving to Spain soon, I would say that the implications of Brexit have not hit home yet. Our rulers in London are intent on us leaving,. They say they have a cunning plan.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

with Tony Blair keep on saying "British people have the right to stay in the EU & they should be allowed to vote again because they were mislead" - of course he is totally bonkers & has is own agenda

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rise-up-brexit
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you are married, then once your fiance reaches UK retirement age he an get form S1 from the DWP and that will allow both of you to get Spanish healthcare in the same way that retired Spanish people get. One caveats that the UK is leaving the EU, so the rules may change.
I'm 62 and he's 66 still self employed at the moment. What is the S1 froum and what is DWP.
Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
with Tony Blair keep on saying "British people have the right to stay in the EU & they should be allowed to vote again because they were mislead" - of course he is totally bonkers & has is own agenda

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rise-up-brexit
Not counting on that vote.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

the S1 (E106)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

retired receiving state pension, then the following

Apply for a free EHIC card - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices

'DWP" is the UK department of works and pensions

https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The rules WILL change. Judging by the number of people posting on this forum about moving to Spain soon, I would say that the implications of Brexit have not hit home yet. Our rulers in London are intent on us leaving,. They say they have a cunning plan.
Yep, people don't seem to realize that they will lose their right to work and live in EU countries once the UK leaves. Yet they go on planning as if Brexit won't happen. I am baffled.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion, but perhaps if we Brits stopped referring to ourselves as "ex-pats" and used the term "migrants" instead, people might get the point. I've never understood why any foreigner who comes to the UK (whether from EU or elsewhere) is a migrant, whereas when Brits move abroad they are "ex-pats". This is something that has always puzzled me.

"Migrant: a person who moves from one place to another in order to find work or better living conditions"

Like I say, just a thought.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Yep, people don't seem to realize that they will lose their right to work and live in EU countries once the UK leaves. Yet they go on planning as if Brexit won't happen. I am baffled.
One may lose the RIGHT to move to, work or live in another European country but you do not lose the ability to APPLY to move to, work or live in another European country.

The only change is the administration and of course the chance of the host country to refuse you residency, based perhaps on you being undesirable.

No need to be baffled, that is exactly why many UK people voted to leave the EU. So that sovereignty over migration returned to the host country and away from the needs of the individual, particularly when the UK seems unable to limit welfare to migrants so lower paid workers were being undercut by cheap labour who then in turn became burdens on the taxpayer.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Back to the OP's question

Married couple - one is a UK citizen, the other American (non EU citizen)

Under the current rules the UK citizen can take the non EU spouse to live in another EU country

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country - Your Europe

Pensioners abroad in the EU: residence rights - Your Europe

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...n/index_en.htm

After the minimum required settlement in Spain the American spouse can apply for a "Residence card" - EU national family member card

If the UK spouse first wants to go to the UK with the American spouse, it might be an idea for the UK spouse to go register with a NHS doctor, make sure that he has his 'UK state pension (if he qualifies), then within a few months apply for his EHIC health card so that when he gets to Spain (under current rules) he would have some health coverage.

Healthcare insurance cover in your host country - Your Europe

Last edited by not2old; Feb 19th 2017 at 9:26 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by not2old
Back to the OP's question

Married couple - one is a UK citizen, the other American (non EU citizen)

Under the current rules the UK citizen can take the non EU spouse to live in another EU country

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country - Your Europe

Pensioners abroad in the EU: residence rights - Your Europe

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country - Spain

After the minimum required settlement in Spain the American spouse can apply for a "Residence card" - EU national family member card

If the UK spouse first wants to go to the UK with the American spouse, it might be an idea for the UK spouse to go register with a NHS doctor, make sure that he has his 'UK state pension (if he qualifies), then within a few months apply for his EHIC health card so that when he gets to Spain (under current rules) he would have some health coverage.

Healthcare insurance cover in your host country - Your Europe

Does anyone in spain have news on England leaving the EU and what will change. Not sure if it is wise to buy in spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.