Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to spain

Moving to spain

Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:27 am
Just Joined

wizard1948 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to spain

Hi folks we are in the process of looking for a property in the albox area , we had a home in jamaica but the travelling got to much for us we are now retired and still very healthy and fit we have sold our jamaican property and have decided to move to spain we do have a good income and will not need any kind of mortgage . what we would like to ask is any of you folks whom may live in the albox area could you give us advice on what % to offer below asking price is reasonable .we have found a property we like part renovated but still needs things doing pool ect but does have land with it with fruit and olive trees on .would it be best to buy a vehicle in the UK and drive it back to spain or buy local we would buy a LHD in the uk any and all advice would be most welcome . i have read to get things done its best to employ a local who knows how things work paperwork ect but we would appriciate any and all advice things like would it be best for us to have a generator as we may be out in the country side . any companies members would recommend to get a pool quote from yes still endless questions !
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to spain

Originally Posted by wizard1948
Hi folks we are in the process of looking for a property in the albox area , we had a home in jamaica but the travelling got to much for us we are now retired and still very healthy and fit we have sold our jamaican property and have decided to move to spain we do have a good income and will not need any kind of mortgage . what we would like to ask is any of you folks whom may live in the albox area could you give us advice on what % to offer below asking price is reasonable .we have found a property we like part renovated but still needs things doing pool ect but does have land with it with fruit and olive trees on .would it be best to buy a vehicle in the UK and drive it back to spain or buy local we would buy a LHD in the uk any and all advice would be most welcome . i have read to get things done its best to employ a local who knows how things work paperwork ect but we would appriciate any and all advice things like would it be best for us to have a generator as we may be out in the country side . any companies members would recommend to get a pool quote from yes still endless questions !
Firstly get a good solicitor and ensure that they check that the build is legal, and that any alterations have got legal permissions, part renovation properties may well be a minefield, the current owners may have decided to sell because the .local council was unhappy with the alterations and wanted them changed. In Spain ALL modifications to a building have to be approved by the local council, and done by people who have the correct licensing to do them. As to cars, buy one locally and from a dealer, not just from an advert, once you have bought it you are liable for any fines, charges outstanding on the vehicle, buying from a dealer would sort that out.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Hi mikelincs thank you for your reply and do agree with what you say having brought a property abroad before have experienced most of the pitfalls !
and very sound advice to anyone about the attorney would never dream of buying without one whom i feel i can trust ! i always tell them how high your fees are depends on how good you are !
Old Nov 6th 2016, 9:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mikelincs thank you for your reply and do agree with what you say having brought a property abroad before have experienced most of the pitfalls !
and very sound advice to anyone about the attorney would never dream of buying without one whom i feel i can trust ! i always tell them how high your fees are depends on how good you are !
Spain has a huge problem with illegal builds, which is why I gave that advice, this is especially true in rural areas where houses may have been built on rural land without legal permission, just by the owner knowing someone at the local town hall. There have even been programmes on UK television about people who have lost their property and everything due to just those problems, Spain now realises that it is so much better for houses to be built legally so they can extract the maximum money from the builders and maximum taxes as Spain is so much in debt.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:31 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Why Albox?
We did not but ....... would suggest it is sensible to rent before you buy.
You may save a few pounds buying in UK, but I would suggest you avoid the hassle and buy a Spanish car from a reputable dealer.
There is no % below. Some properties will be overpriced, some are priced to sell. Offer what you think the property is worth to you.
Do not assume you will make money on fruit trees. Many orchards go un-harvested as the produce is often not worth the cost of collection.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are probably more illegal builds in the Albox area than in any other area of Spain.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your kind replies , yes we have seen the programs on tv about the builds !
we do intend to rent first and to have a very good look around , i tend to like the older more spanish type properties but would like somthing a little out in the wilds done all the beach stuff years ago

I would like to know what folks think about the renovated places that are up for sale i do not mean those that have had major building work done just internal upgrades and modernisation .
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Thank you all for your kind replies , yes we have seen the programs on tv about the builds !
we do intend to rent first and to have a very good look around , i tend to like the older more spanish type properties but would like somthing a little out in the wilds done all the beach stuff years ago

I would like to know what folks think about the renovated places that are up for sale i do not mean those that have had major building work done just internal upgrades and modernisation .
Even those alterations do require permission from the town hall, even repainting the outside of your house does, to abide by the regulations, require relevant permissions, to be legal.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks we are in the process of looking for a property in the albox area , we had a home in jamaica but the travelling got to much for us we are now retired and still very healthy and fit we have sold our jamaican property and have decided to move to spain we do have a good income and will not need any kind of mortgage . any companies members would recommend to get a pool quote from yes still endless questions !
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary