Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with 4 children!

Moving to Spain with 4 children!

Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain with 4 children!

One third of Spanish children actually go to fee paying schools, either private schools or "concertados" where parents have to make a monthly contribution

State schools vary greatly in quality mainly depending on the area they take the children from (just like in the UK, except in Spain most middle class parents send their children to fee paying schools)

Even in state schools, you will need to pay for school books - around 500 euros per year per child, and lunches - around 5-8 euros per day per child

You get a school designated based on your residential address. And normally you must apply on a certain week in the spring or you can miss your chance until the following year

Please beware that schools with lots of English speaking kids in usually do not well, as the kids dont pick up Spanish as quickly and hang around with each other. Also beware of state bilingual schools that profess to teach 50:50 in English and Spanish, but the lessons in English can be given be seriously under qualified teachers or teachers who donĀ“t understand a word of English

All in all, schooling in Spain is a minefield!
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish state schools are pretty much free. You may have to pay for school lunches. Similarly with concertados (state subsidised private schools). I think all you need to do is register (empadronar) as a resident in the catchment area and apply to the school.

Sorry I can't help regarding areas with large numbers of expats: probably best to start with Andalucia and Valencia/Alicante regions (not exactly rounding it down, I know)
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Spanish schools are state funded as in the UK, so all teaching is free.. HOWEVER.. you do need to pay for excercise books, text books etc. and all out of hours activities.
Yes, often schooling until 2pm is free, but the optional classes after lunch must be paid for - around 50-80 euros per hour each month

Obviously if you need to go out to work then the school finishing at 2pm is a big problem

So if you want your kids to go to school from 9am until 4pm including lunch, then even at a state school it can cost 200-300 euros per month for each child

Last edited by cricketman; Dec 29th 2015 at 2:18 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes, often schooling until 2pm is free, but the optional classes after lunch must be paid for - around 50-80 euros per hour each month

Obviously if you need to go out to work then the school finishing at 2pm is a big problem
yes in that sense concertados often work out cheaper because they teach until maybe 4pm or 5pm.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Nicrob3011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how the state school los dolces in playa flamenca is supposed to be?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicrob3011
Does anyone know how the state school los dolces in playa flamenca is supposed to be?
When we lived in Playa Flamenca thee school had a good reputation, at least according to the young couples whose children attended it. On young boy spoke no Spanish when he first attended, and by the time he had been there a term the was acting as translator for his parents.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
When we lived in Playa Flamenca thee school had a good reputation, at least according to the young couples whose children attended it. On young boy spoke no Spanish when he first attended, and by the time he had been there a term the was acting as translator for his parents.
Something worth thinking about... the studies I have read show that the immigrant children who do best at school are those whose parents have also learnt the native language

As parents with children in the Spanish system, please learn Spanish! Otherwise it will be so much harder for your kids
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Nicrob3011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
Something worth thinking about... the studies I have read show that the immigrant children who do best at school are those whose parents have also learnt the native language

As parents with children in the Spanish system, please learn Spanish! Otherwise it will be so much harder for your kids
I am almost certain the majority of Brits moving to Spain are at least going to TRY learn the language!
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Jlb29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant info everyone thanx. Yes we would be learning Spanish. I will look into the contribution paying school.
I've looked on govuk website for info on health insurance aswel, as I have a few medical conditions.its so much to consider. Especially sorting out the income/job side of it
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jlb29
...Especially sorting out the income/job side of it
here we go...
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Here we go??? I'm a staff nurse and hubby has his own online business. So obviously I cannot do my job until I'm fluent spanish
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here we go??? I'm a staff nurse and hubby has his own online business. So obviously I cannot do my job until I'm fluent spanish
So you won't be needing to sort out the income/job side of it then?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Well its ensuring my hubby can continue his business which although online he gets his customers from the uk. Once that is verified we will be fine
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well its ensuring my hubby can continue his business which although online he gets his customers from the uk. Once that is verified we will be fine
Glad you clarified that It sounded like you needed to find work in Spain.

Your husband will probably have to register his business in Spain, and pay tax in Spain. But it should be possible.

BTW I imagine (and hope) that being a staff nurse in Spain requires a very high level of Spanish, something that is difficult to obtain if you live surrounded by expats. However I take it that's just a long term plan as you'll have plenty of children to keep you busy anyway.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Yes it would be the long term plan. My best friends first language is Spanish, even though she was born in uk so would be skyping her for lessons when we had moved.
But I'm sure there are lots of people who go out with the plan to find work in Spain. I would be quite happy working in a bar on one of the holiday resorts that's Brits go to. That's what my bro in law does.goes out for the summer seasons and works in bars/restaurants. But I'm not too worried

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.