British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Spain with 4 children! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-spain-4-children-869755/)

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 12:55 pm

Moving to Spain with 4 children!

Hi everyone. My husband and I are considering moving to Spain with the next year. We have only just started researching the idea so I apologise for my naieveity (spelling is not my strong point) lol. Anyway I'm 29 years old and have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and feel the warm weather will do me good.....among lots of other reasons for the move. We have 3 children aged 7,5 and 2, and are expecting no4 in June so wouldn't want to move before baby arrives.
I guess my first question is where..... We would want to be around as many expats as possible so the language isn't such a shock to the children. We would be looking at a long term rent. Also schools are a massive issue as children don't speek Spanish.
Any advice on where to start would be great. Thanx :)

snikpoh Dec 29th 2015 1:02 pm

Re: Moving to Spain with 4 children!

Welcome.

Firstly - your children will cope just fine with the language(s), you however may not!

Our youngest were 7 when we came out knowing zero Spanish. They have coped wonderfully and now speak Spanish, Valencia and English.

With 3 or more children, it's worth getting a "familia numerosa" card. This is for 'large' families and entitles you to discounts in a number of places - well worth investigating.

Nicrob3011 Dec 29th 2015 1:21 pm

Just wrote a post very similar myself my partner and 2 sons are looking to move within the year. We have picked where we are going however just want to gain as much info on the move as possible!

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 1:22 pm

Thanku for replying. I'm worried about our 7 year old as he is dyslexic and although we only speek English at home, the go to a welsh language school! But I'm sure they will be OK. Do u know if there are areas where a lot of the children in the schools are from English speaking backgrounds? Thanx

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 1:24 pm

Nicrob where r u moving to? I'm so stuck for ideas on where would be best for the children :)

Nicrob3011 Dec 29th 2015 1:24 pm

I am looking at villamartin to move too and it's an international school 80% of lessons are in English 10% Spanish and 10% either Chinese French or german

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 1:29 pm

Ow lovely. I've looked at international schools but unfortunately we could aford to send 4 children to them so they would have to go to a Spanish school. Would love to be kept up to date with how your moving plans are going :)

Nicrob3011 Dec 29th 2015 1:31 pm

I'm looking at both schools to be honest in a way I think I would prefer to send the kids to a Spanish school that way they are growing up with the language from there young age because my boys are 3 and 12 weeks old! Is there any way to message privately on this just I have millions of questions lol :)

chopera Dec 29th 2015 1:41 pm

If you are planning on a permanent move then really you should push for your children to go to a Spanish school. Top priority for them is to make long term friends, and that can only really be achieved by speaking fluent Spanish. Yes there'll be a few kids around the expat areas who speak fluent English as well, but if they're long term residents then they'll probably use Spanish as their first language anyway. Children of that age really shouldn't have a problem with picking up Spanish, but if in doubt you could target parts of Spain where only Spanish is taught in schools rather than Spanish plus a local language as well.

Apart from that, sending 4 kids to an international school will cost a lot. Many give discounts for the third child on, but even so I imagine you'll be looking at over €2000/month all in.

snikpoh Dec 29th 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jlb29 (Post 11823275)
Thanku for replying. I'm worried about our 7 year old as he is dyslexic and although we only speek English at home, the go to a welsh language school! But I'm sure they will be OK. Do u know if there are areas where a lot of the children in the schools are from English speaking backgrounds? Thanx

My daughter is dyslexic in both numbers and letters - she's coped fine and is now more Spanish than English.

As @chopera says, don't look for English speaking areas, immerse them in the language and the culture and they will do just fine.

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 1:55 pm

Yes that is way out of our budget.lol!
Does anyone know what areas have a large community of expats, especially families?

Nicrob3011 Dec 29th 2015 1:57 pm

How does funding for Spanish schools work?

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 2:01 pm

OK I will take that on board thanx. :)

Jlb29 Dec 29th 2015 2:03 pm

From what I've read nicrob they r pretty similar to British one. I may be wrong though

mikelincs Dec 29th 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nicrob3011 (Post 11823307)
How does funding for Spanish schools work?

Spanish schools are state funded as in the UK, so all teaching is free.. HOWEVER.. you do need to pay for excercise books, text books etc. and all out of hours activities.