Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain

moving to spain

Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:59 am
Banned

utookmylove will become famous soon enoughutookmylove will become famous soon enough
Default moving to spain

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a van hire company in england that we can use to drive our stuff over,
i dont want full removals as im not taking everything just a transit van and myself to drive it and i did not know if they have a drop of in spain where i can leave it.

Also if there is such a company how much would it be for a week hire.

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain

Originally Posted by utookmylove
Hi can anyone tell me if there is a van hire company in england that we can use to drive our stuff over,
i dont want full removals as im not taking everything just a transit van and myself to drive it and i did not know if they have a drop of in spain where i can leave it.

Thanks
If you look at other moving threads, then a number of people have recommended Thrifty van hire, but apparently you should contact the branch direct as some say you would not be covered for driving in Europe. Several people have used them and say they are OK.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:09 am
Banned

utookmylove will become famous soon enoughutookmylove will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you look at other moving threads, then a number of people have recommended Thrifty van hire, but apparently you should contact the branch direct as some say you would not be covered for driving in Europe. Several people have used them and say they are OK.
Thanks for the advicex
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Yes I have my van booked with Thrifty for September (Coventry depot)
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:56 pm
mr cid

cidshock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Depends where you are in the country.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes I have my van booked with Thrifty for September (Coventry depot)
Hi,
With there van hire do you drop it of in spain or do you have to bring it back to the uk
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
With there van hire do you drop it of in spain or do you have to bring it back to the uk
Thanks
You won't find any UK company that allows you to do a one way trip because they would then have to pay to get the vehicle all the way back to the UK. My Luton Van is costing £732 including a second driver for 10 days.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:39 am
Just Joined

paulio will become famous soon enough

You won't find any UK company that allows you to do a one way trip because they would then have to pay to get the vehicle all the way back to the UK. My Luton Van is costing £732 including a second driver for 10 days.

hi
Im moving out next week,, i phoned all the hire companys and found Barford hire the cheapest,, £766 for a week, for a 7.5 ton lorry with a tail lift...they even supply a sack barrow and blankets for packing, also included was a second driver and millage to southern spain.....you must bring the lorry back though...
I dont know if this company is all over the uk ,, im getting it from the norwich branch.....
Good luck to you all......
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by paulio
hi
Im moving out next week,, i phoned all the hire companys and found Barford hire the cheapest,, £766 for a week, for a 7.5 ton lorry with a tail lift...they even supply a sack barrow and blankets for packing, also included was a second driver and millage to southern spain.....you must bring the lorry back though...
I dont know if this company is all over the uk ,, im getting it from the norwich branch.....
Good luck to you all......
Hi Thanks for that, good luck with your move and i hope all goes well i bet you are excited i cant wait till we go in april, well our house should be done around october because all the lawyers and everone else is on holiday till september lucky them but good luck to everyone who is moving out soonx
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
hi yes THRIFY you can hire a van with taillift 9 days hire £700? thinks it was £87 days? plus £500 deposit to go to spain.

paris

europcar is cheaper! by £250
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:04 am
Just Joined

sarahbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

We used 1 car 1 and for a week the cost was £500 for a large van. We then used a company who flew someone over and drove the hire van back for us. My contact was Phil and his number is 07830 357896. Don't know how that will work in the current climate but suited us and meant we didn't have to drive back from the south of spain!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:44 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by sarahbrown
We used 1 car 1 and for a week the cost was £500 for a large van. We then used a company who flew someone over and drove the hire van back for us. My contact was Phil and his number is 07830 357896. Don't know how that will work in the current climate but suited us and meant we didn't have to drive back from the south of spain!
Well thats quite amazing, as I've never heard of this before.

So this company hired you a van for a week for £500 (about the going rate) then within that price paid for someone to fly out to Spain with all the associated costs, and then drive the van back to the UK paying for the fuel and ferry costs. By my reckoning that would have cost them at least £300 in fuel and ferries forgetting any misc costs, so they hired the van to you for £200 .... Wow
Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:39 am
Just Joined

sarahbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thats quite amazing, as I've never heard of this before.

So this company hired you a van for a week for £500 (about the going rate) then within that price paid for someone to fly out to Spain with all the associated costs, and then drive the van back to the UK paying for the fuel and ferry costs. By my reckoning that would have cost them at least £300 in fuel and ferries forgetting any misc costs, so they hired the van to you for £200 .... Wow
Or am I misunderstanding you?

hired the van from 1 car 1 for £500. Paid seperate company to drive van back. The quotes i had received were mainly around the £2000 mark for a company to do it, doing it myself here's the approx costs :-
Van Hire - £500
Ferry - £100 (norfolkline)
Fuel and tolls - £500 (there and back)
Driver £500

Total cost £1600 give or take a few quid

saving of approx £400 plus I new exactly what was happening to my stuff on way there and I didn't have to drive back from the south of spain and then fly back to spain. Van got delivered back exactly when it was due to be delivered back and we were left happy and relaxed.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving to spain

Hi sarahbrown,

Who was the company you hired to drive the van back? Useful contact for the future!

Did van hire company understand the arrangement and were they happy with it insurance wise and sure of getting the van back in UK in one piece!

Regards,

John.

hired the van from 1 car 1 for £500. Paid seperate company to drive van back.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:10 pm
Senior Moment

hired the van from 1 car 1 for £500. Paid seperate company to drive van back. The quotes i had received were mainly around the £2000 mark for a company to do it, doing it myself here's the approx costs :-
Van Hire - £500
Ferry - £100 (norfolkline)
Fuel and tolls - £500 (there and back)
Driver £500

Total cost £1600 give or take a few quid

saving of approx £400 plus I new exactly what was happening to my stuff on way there and I didn't have to drive back from the south of spain and then fly back to spain. Van got delivered back exactly when it was due to be delivered back and we were left happy and relaxed.
I'm with you now .... doing it myself on a round trip will work out as less than that, but I want to come back to the UK so circumstances are different. Also, am bringing something back to help with the costs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.