Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain

moving to spain

Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to spain

Originally Posted by JonA
Since I'm following ScotInSpain's advice and renting before buying, I was wondering:
Do you pay the security deposit to your (or their) lawyer. I'm guessing that if you pay it to the agent, the chances of seeing it again after the end of the rental would be, shall we say slim...

Also, do you need a notary to complete the tenancy agreement, or is it just done between the lawyers?
The rental agreement is usually done between yourself and the owner or the owners agent. When you leave forget to pay the rent for the last month cos like you say you will have a job getting the full amount back.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

ivel barbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to Barcelona or nearby

Originally Posted by David Owsley
Will be moving to Barcelona in the New Year to live and work - any advice would be appreciated. Am 41 with 4 children and a soon to be X (still on A1 terms) who will remain in UK (nuff said). I will not pick up any reply until next week but I would like news of cost per month (€) etc for a small apartment this is all I need at present. Thanx
hi dave found you need to talk clint rugby tour
Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:40 am
Just Joined

ariston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default trying Alicante

Going to Alicante for 10 days, Feb 5th onward. Have thought about moving but never got round to the nitty gritty. Got a cheap flight and am going to spend time looking around, with the wife. Am a self employed domestic appliance engineer, in my early fifties. Will have small amount of capital for property. Any body any ideas of area and work prospects, would idealy like to stay self employed. Also having watched channel 4 tonight is Alicante area safe if tenerife falls into the sea.

p.s. am in my second year of elemental spanish, if that would help.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trying Alicante

Originally Posted by ariston
Going to Alicante for 10 days, Feb 5th onward. Have thought about moving but never got round to the nitty gritty. Got a cheap flight and am going to spend time looking around, with the wife. Am a self employed domestic appliance engineer, in my early fifties. Will have small amount of capital for property. Any body any ideas of area and work prospects, would idealy like to stay self employed. Also having watched channel 4 tonight is Alicante area safe if tenerife falls into the sea.

You might get more response if you start your own thread on your subject
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trying Alicante

Originally Posted by ariston
Also having watched channel 4 tonight is Alicante area safe if tenerife falls into the sea.

Alicante is still on the Medeteranian...and The Canaries are still in the Atlantic, near Africa. If you are talking about the dange of a Tsunami...I believe North, Central and South America are in the path if the slab slides off.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to spain

Originally Posted by Dolphingirl
When you are reading ads in the paper often the same number will come up more than once if they are an agent. I´ve come across some agents who dont charge the person looking, depending how desparate you are, personally after getting ripped off by one when I first arrived, is putting an ad in the paper stating what you want and "no agents" you may find the owner will contact you direct. But some owners do advertise and when you telephone an ad ask if they are an agent or an owner, and if an Agent what the fees are involved, you then have a choice in avoiding them if you are careful. I´ve only had to pay commission once, but got half of it back as the Agent found me another temporary appartment and once found they had nothing to do with the owner I refused to pay for the appartment and that it would have to come out of her commission.

This is something you have to watch, sometimes the "Agent" doesnt have anything whatsoever to do with the owner and once the commission is paid you will be on your own and have to deal with the owner direct..... See also if the Agent is registered, although not mandatory you will see if they are a fly by night also....and always go to their office. I got caught out on this one, told me that I needed to "hold" the appartment until we got to the office......of course when we got to the office she was nothing to do with the owner but was helping the tenant who wanted to move on out.

Another tip is DO NOT SIGN anything without Legal Advice........ I have just brought a house here and...........the Agent told me I had to pay the commission which was 6 grand........this was signed very quickly on the first day.......luckily for me the Agent has screwed up on the contract, and both me and the seller had signed....which was in Spanish and could have been viewed as an Agreement of offer.......

When it came to signing at the Notary........the Agent became quite vocal as I wouldnt pay the commission, in fact they said they would take the seller away if I didnt sign a piece of paper saying I would pay the commission.......My Spanish lawyer advised me not to and the original contract did not STATE who had to pay the commission.......The seller still wanted to sell to me and in private both the Sellers and my Lawyer tore up the orginal contracts.......it was agreed also that we would pay half each....however the Agent refused their half and wanted me to fork out the whole lot.......because he refused that offer........now he gets nothing from me as he can´t prove that I should pay and the orginal contracts no longer exist in the legal eyes........so I dont have to pay anything!!!!

This has been my experience, so I hope someone learns from it.......DO NOT SIGN anything without getting advice..... I was lucky....

Hope it helps .......
Dolphin Girl....
Not all Estae agents are the same, we moved to Spain 8 month ago, we are very happy here, my youngest who is just 15 has settled in welll and is speaking basic Spanish, my eldest is 23 started work in a bar and learned basic spanish and she now works in an Estae agents and would be very upset that she would be ripping people off!, we bought a property which has a three bedroom apartment which is soley short let exactly for people who want a taste of living in Rural Spain we do not go through agents, do not hold huge deposits or rip of the ''new boys on the block''