Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to spain

moving to spain

Old Nov 14th 2003, 11:57 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice from Dolphin Girl.

A sad fact of life in moving to Spain is that there a lot of people who smell fresh meat and want to rip you off. Not everyone is like that, but there are enough of them for it to be a problem.

Agents aren't regulated by a governing body, people move over, set up offices or work from home with little or no experience and people really get caught out.

As DG said, legal advice all the way, is the only way. And always get a Spanish lawyer, not one based in England.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sibsie. I do speak Spanish, well.......like a two year old , but I seem to understand it better....

I´ve been here about 4 years so know there a number of sharks around, but even when you smell a fish.....that time in the Notary was very unpleasant and if you unsure of the law here, it understandable how easily people can be ripped off...... even moreso when everyone around is speaking Spanish and you are the only English speaking person in the room. I had a translator for my signing as my lawyer didnt speak English. So when someone is being vocal and making a scene.........

The Agent who was German, had advertised in the local English newspaper. He also told me I didnt need a lawyer as the process was quite simple, luckily I hadnt just got off a banana boat and was recommended to a very good lawyer.........apparently one of the top lawyers here.......who re-read the contract, this Agent worked from home and wouldnt have surprised me if previously had worked in Timeshare, very much a hard sell technique....... Wanted me to sign at the Notary the following week, I hadnt put a deposit down, but my terms where that I wouldnt sign until I knew I could get a telephone in........another problem here......it was put in within the week......then I signed (Something else to check out when buying a house.......can you get a telephone line)

Makes life interesting,

DG.

Originally posted by sibsie
Great advice from Dolphin Girl.

A sad fact of life in moving to Spain is that there a lot of people who smell fresh meat and want to rip you off. Not everyone is like that, but there are enough of them for it to be a problem.

Agents aren't regulated by a governing body, people move over, set up offices or work from home with little or no experience and people really get caught out.

As DG said, legal advice all the way, is the only way. And always get a Spanish lawyer, not one based in England.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:58 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The Notary is a great day out isn't it DG?! I had about 15 people in my room . It was a bit like going to a wedding at a registry office.

Buying here is very much a hands on experience.

Oh and a word about buying trips from agents you meet at exhibitions. Don't do them. I've heard some nightmare stories. There are plenty of houses to buy and enough decent agents for people not to have to go on them.

There was a really interesing article in The Times a couple of weeks ago when an undercover reporter dealt with Ocean Estates. You know it's bad news when The Times resorts to undercover reportage for home buying.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I don´t think my visit was as pleasant as a wedding more like a war.....but the Germans lost again

The other thing is buyers of property should always add at least 12% on top, as it is not often calculated in the cost......Another interesting thing is that you may also be expected to take cash which is not declared on the property title and the lawyers will count this privately before signing...... The downside is that you can´t get a receipt!!! However dont go any lower than a 80% declaration and 20% tax otherwise you may pay later on.....your lawyer should advise you on this.....it is regarded as illegal however it also an accepted practice and banks, lawyers etc seem to accept it as the norm!!!.....It you need a receipt get your lawyer to give it to you in writing that you have used the money for property purchase it hopefully avoids you getting in trouble with your own country authority..... The other tip is if you go down this route go into the Bank managers office to have the money checked, as often it is done in Bank foyers with every tom dick and harry watching........and it has been known for people to be robbed shortly after leaving the bank.....

Right I´m off "home" my telephone wasnt working for a short while last night and today my electricity went off.......well I´ve got the torch.....tommorrow I´m buying a generator and some pigeons....:and a gas fire.... and if my car doesnt start I live on a side of a mountain so will have to practice my handgliding p

The Notary is a great day out isn't it DG?! I had about 15 people in my room . It was a bit like going to a wedding at a registry office.

Buying here is very much a hands on experience.

Oh and a word about buying trips from agents you meet at exhibitions. Don't do them. I've heard some nightmare stories. There are plenty of houses to buy and enough decent agents for people not to have to go on them.

There was a really interesing article in The Times a couple of weeks ago when an undercover reporter dealt with Ocean Estates. You know it's bad news when The Times resorts to undercover reportage for home buying.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

oops made a mistake 20% cash not tax....got it on the brain I think I need a beer:

However dont go any lower than a 80% declaration and 20% tax ::
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:08 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
Right I´m off "home" my telephone wasnt working for a short while last night and today my electricity went off.......well I´ve got the torch.....tommorrow I´m buying a generator and some pigeons....:and a gas fire.... and if my car doesnt start I live on a side of a mountain so will have to practice my handgliding p
Ahhh the great Spanish infrastructure. It seems to hang by a very delicate thread.

My water went off every single day last week without warning. Great when you're locked in the bathroom with Novo Virus!
:scared:

Another note with underdeclaring, it is a really common practice but bear in mind, all that you're really doing is deferring tax that will have to be paid when you sell later.

If you go too low the Hacienda Office will take a look as well.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

The water should be okay......I´ve got a well........but I think the pumps electric, LOL........okay wheres my bucket....

(Quote)Great when you're locked in the bathroom with Novo Virus!

Ummmmm better borrow one of those chemical hazard warning signs to stick on the door..

Ahhh the great Spanish infrastructure. It seems to hang by a very delicate thread.

My water went off every single day last week without warning.
:scared:

Another note with underdeclaring, it is a really common practice but bear in mind, all that you're really doing is deferring tax that will have to be paid when you sell later.

If you go too low the Hacienda Office will take a look as well.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

willmags is an unknown quantity at this point

Most ads (99%) in SurInEnglish are placed by agents. All charge 1 months rent as their fee. These range from those with kosher offices to those with just a mobile phone. A few ads will state "no commission". Some owners pose as agents themselves, thus getting an extra month´s rent out of you.

Of course if you manage to get in touch with an honest owner, you avoid the commission. You will also tend to find that their rental prices are lower.

Finally beware telling an agent how much you are willing to spend on rent. If you do this, they will show you properties which are usually at a lower rent, arrange to collect the rent from you, and they pocket the difference each month.

You are most vulnerable if time is not on your side e.g. you have come for a week/fortnight to check out places. If ast all possible, try and get a friend or relative already living in the area to check out some places for you. You will then know if the rent being asked for are average for the type and standard of the property.

They will also have a better chance of tracking down an owner.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

David Owsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking moving to Barcelona or nearby

Will be moving to Barcelona in the New Year to live and work - any advice would be appreciated. Am 41 with 4 children and a soon to be X (still on A1 terms) who will remain in UK (nuff said). I will not pick up any reply until next week but I would like news of cost per month (€) etc for a small apartment this is all I need at present. Thanx
Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Jimbo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to spain

Does anyone know which are the best reference books to get on living and working in spain.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Does anyone know which are the best reference books to get on living and working in spain.
David Hampshire's "Living and Working in Spain" seems to be the one that's most often recommended. I have it and it seems to not be too idealistic and warns you of potential pitfalls - but whether it is indicative of real life for a British expat in spain, I have yet to find out. But I found it pretty useful in telling me the basics of what I needed to do to buy a property. But what do those of you who actually live there think? Or once you are living there, do you ditch all thoese books and just get on with it?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
try Amazon.co.uk and do searches on books on 'living in spain' 'working in spain' etc and you can read the reviews that people have submitted about various books - that might help you decide which books are the most likely to help.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:37 pm
C.G.D.S

You may want to check for updated editions of any books. Spanish law has a tendancy to change rather a lot.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 7:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
You may want to check for updated editions of any books. Spanish law has a tendancy to change rather a lot.
Too true....
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

JonA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmags
The security deposit is separate. All the agents from whom I have received info state 1 months rent in advance, 2 months rent security deposit, and an additional 1 months rent for their commission and legal work.

I was surprised by this extra months charge, as here the landlord/lady will pay the agents commission (although this simply means higher rent)
Since I'm following ScotInSpain's advice and renting before buying, I was wondering:
Do you pay the security deposit to your (or their) lawyer. I'm guessing that if you pay it to the agent, the chances of seeing it again after the end of the rental would be, shall we say slim...

Also, do you need a notary to complete the tenancy agreement, or is it just done between the lawyers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.