Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area

Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area

Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

davyrowy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that are

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
Is plymouth really that bad now , i was thinking of moving back home after 17 years away ! i guess everywhere is going down the pan .good luck in Spain.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

JO71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that are

Great advice, I do worry for my eldest, she has done a little spanish, she doesnt know enough to get her through a school day, is there an adult in classes to translate for new pupils? She will have a lot of catchup to do.

I have heard through speaking to expats in La Romana about being held back a year and think this will help, as it happens throughout the school indeed the country there is no stigma attached to it, if that happened in the UK it would be a bit embarassing for the bairns as it isnt the "norm" - I do think this will help a great deal as there will probably be other children in the same situation.

I so want this to work, the bairns are very excited about it and I think they will have a much better childhood than they have here.

Thanks so much
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Why would there be an adult there to translate? Who would pay for the translator? In my experience here, foreign children in primary education may be given additional tuition in Spanish for maybe a couple of hours a week, but that's about it. Sometimes a councillor is available to help them adjust. My two eldest (now 9 and 5) were thrown in at the deep end at ages 3 and 4, both speak Spanish better than they speak English. They are also both the only English kids in their classes which also helps. Often if there are several other English kids, an us and them situation develops
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:39 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=JO71;7705291]We aren't entirely sure where abouts in Aspe....

My hubby has been reading this thread and has suggested Hondon.../QUOTE]

Hello, I know of a couple in the Hondon area moving back to UK very soon and would love to rent their villa long term - it's gorgeous and on the nearby Urbanisation which is a quiet place with is lots of ExPats and so you'll not be short of advice and help + there are a few other families with children in local Hondon schools so would be able to befriend / be advised by them. You'll probably feel safer too if you are on your own. There are quite a few others too who have husbands working off-shore / uk I believe. In fact, there is a family who live a few houses away from the one I mentioned.

If you are interested I can PM (Personal Message) you the web site address which has their contact details on. You can then ask what rent they want. Let me know.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

well as you are very intelligent i wish you and your family all the best and really hope i dont meet you in plymouth in a year or two(which by the way is a great city),has good and bad areas like all cities,no one gets stabbed knifed or has to put up with abusive youths on dartmoor/exmoor,i suggest you move there,spain is not a great place atm
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:23 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog
well as you are very intelligent i wish you and your family all the best and really hope i dont meet you in plymouth in a year or two(which by the way is a great city),has good and bad areas like all cities,no one gets stabbed knifed or has to put up with abusive youths on dartmoor/exmoor,i suggest you move there,spain is not a great place atm
Lesson: this thread should have been "Moving to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area" to save the defenders of Plymouth hi-jacking the main point of your question !!

Never slag off a place - if you want peace! Someone will always get on their high-horse and charge in with a counter argument !!

Keep it simple on here or the "poke-fun meisters" will have a field day or probably will anyway !
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=GrapeEater;7705697]
Originally Posted by JO71
We aren't entirely sure where abouts in Aspe....

Hello, I know of a couple in the Hondon area moving back to UK very soon and would love to rent their villa long term - it's gorgeous and on the nearby Urbanisation which is a quiet place with is lots of ExPats and so you'll not be short of advice and help + there are a few other families with children in local Hondon schools so would be able to befriend / be advised by them. You'll probably feel safer too if you are on your own. There are quite a few others too who have husbands working off-shore / uk I believe. In fact, there is a family who live a few houses away from the one I mentioned.

If you are interested I can PM (Personal Message) you the web site address which has their contact details on. You can then ask what rent they want. Let me know.
Excellent advice, it does worry me having to leave the family there while i go off and work. I hope I am correct in assuming which web site this is, in which case their phone should be ringing around now . PM JO71 though grapeeater as I cant always access from here

Last edited by leckytech; Jun 28th 2009 at 5:14 am.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:42 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Can I point out that usually in Valencia, children are enrolled in school in March or early April! The schools normally have a two week window in which this needs to be done. You will also need your NIE numbers, Empadronomiento from the Town hall and most likely proof of medical cover for the kids along with their medical records from the UK that the school will want to see to ensure that jabs etc are up to date. The children will also probably need a medical exam at the local GP.
There are several previous threads on here about it.
Hope this helps.

this is true - in our town, if you want your child to go to a certain school, you need to enrol early - and still may not get your school of choice

also correct about all the paperwork

Originally Posted by painterhombre
thats a good point but surely if theres a spare place at a school, and were all signed up and on the padron, it should be no probs? .......and yes i have researched a great deal on the spanish bureaucracy so i know things, er, take time (!). Getting a good school for our daughter is so important but its hard to do it from here in the uk!!!

also true - if there is a place available you can enrol at any time of year
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for pointing this out to me ... I never new about the enrolment dates..... excellent advice

As the schools are closed for the summer holidays when we arrive, I will have to wait until the new term to enrol ..... such a shame, it would be nice for bairns if they started with all the other children.

Do you know whether my daughter who is in 1st year senior, will be able to start at primary level rather than secondary, am I right in thinking that children start at the level they were in the UK? at present she is in 1st year senior, she is 11 and 12 in July, I would prefer her not to start secondary.

You have helped a lot
so she was born in 1997?

if so she would be starting secondary in september

however - it's not uncommon for kids to be 'held back' a year if they don't pass all their exams, so you could ask for her to go into primary for a year - I have known of cases where this has been allowed
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Lesson: this thread should have been "Moving to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area" to save the defenders of Plymouth hi-jacking the main point of your question !!

Never slag off a place - if you want peace! Someone will always get on their high-horse and charge in with a counter argument !!

Keep it simple on here or the "poke-fun meisters" will have a field day or probably will anyway !
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:48 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=GrapeEater;7705697]
We aren't entirely sure where abouts in Aspe....

My husband read your message from offshore and e mailed me the villa you were talking about, I have contacted the owners - thanks so much for the heads up, very kind of you.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
so she was born in 1997?

if so she would be starting secondary in september

however - it's not uncommon for kids to be 'held back' a year if they don't pass all their exams, so you could ask for her to go into primary for a year - I have known of cases where this has been allowed
Yes you are right my daughter was born 1997, the thing I am unsure of is whether the kids start where they left off in the UK, or, do they start where the Spanish teachers feel best for child.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right my daughter was born 1997, the thing I am unsure of is whether the kids start where they left off in the UK, or, do they start where the Spanish teachers feel best for child.
Normally they will start in their relevant age group. You really need to contact the school asap, or delay your move until you have sorted it out. It may sound harsh, but it is your childrens' lives you are playing with here!
Many families have had to return to the UK because their kids cannot settle, simply because they left it too late to make the move over. Starting a new life in Spain is harder than most people imagine anyway with the red tape, employment issues etc. Worrying about the kids settling down can only add to those problems.

Last edited by valenciatim; Jun 28th 2009 at 9:14 am.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Re: Moving (!) to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that are

blimey! I go to bed, wake up today and there's loads of posts!....er.........ok.........i'll try and work thru some of them

1) Yes, i should not have included Plymouth and didnt know why i did and i cant edit it!!!! Plymouth is a violent scum hole but yes, some people would feel strongly against that, so as from NOW, no more mention or discussion about plymouth, its irrelevant.

2) Thanks for all the great info sharing, its good to be prepared. (And ill have to check out this HONDON place, sounds great

3) We have already chosen our house in Aspe (partida Alcana, which i think is just on the outskirts) , albeit from photos and conversation with the estate agent and all seems above board, and theres no commitment as we are renting. We just couldnt afford to come over, just to look at houses, as it would have eaten too much of our savings, so we thought taking a gamble would the best bet and fun too! You never know the hosue miight be perfect, or just a stop gap, but we needed to choose someone .......

4) yes, this is well researched and has been in the planing for about 3 years. If anyone else is considering the move, research is the best advice i can give: You're not moving to England in the sun. (!)

5) The wife used to live in Valencia (city) before she met me 10 years ago. She speaks almost fluent Spanish, and i'm learning the lingo, so thats good too, plus the little one speaks a bit too (un poco)

6) I am in a unique position as i work on the internet so my wages etc and what i do for a job wont change, but our outgoing will be cut by more than a half! However i very much need to find a gestor to sort some business stuff in spain. As i have a uk business i will be taxed in the UK, but it would appear that i will have to pay national insurance in Spain, which is expensive. I would be very worried however if i was moving to Spain to find work, theres not much about and what is there goes to a spaniard 1st.

7) Yes, it is common for a british kid to go down a year when they start but they soon pick up, and no, theres no stigma, Spanish kids are in general more respectful and friendly that english kids. My step daughter (who is now 20 and is staying in the uk), went to a spanish school for a year in valencia city when my wife did her "sandwich year" at valencia university when she was 9 and she loved it. (Also the hours change in the year. Quite often they do 8am until 5pm most of the year and then 8am to 1pm during the hot summer months, plus its a 2 hour lunch break and kids either go home and eat with the WHOLE family, or eat in school, which is more like a restaurant than a school canteen.

8) SCHOOLS: You have to pay for ALL the kids books too, i do mean ALL. even the paper they write on. A book list would be available from your childs new teacher.

9) I agree with valenciatim too, many people move and dont kid the kids a second thought. Its got be planned wisely as yes its their life too. and yes JO71, they WONT start where they left off in the UK as the kids will be following a different curriculum, for example, history lessons, no "battle of hastings" or "british trenches in ww1", plus the child has to "orientate" themselves, it can be confusing to look at a UK map on the classroom wall your whole life and suddenly its a spanish one.! Dont worry about them though, they will be fine, although its tricky at 1st (i have this yet to come), but they soon settle in.

Last edited by painterhombre; Jun 28th 2009 at 9:32 am. Reason: spellcheck
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Re your point numbers..........

6) If you live in Spain, you will be liable to pay tax in Spain on your earnings! See numerous other threads

7)The hours usually only change in June and September due to the heat when the kids do half days. The length of the school day seems to vary from one school to the next as do meal times.

8)Depends on the age of the children. The Valencian Government are issuing grants for books for some age groups which NEARLY covers the cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.