Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area

Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area

Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area

Hola! We are a professional family (Myself, the good wife and our 8 year old daughter Lucie) and are Moving from the hell hole of Plymouth UK to Aspe near Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area as we wont know anyone! we’re both hovering each side of 40 (!) so still VERY young people (ha ha ha!) tongue rolleye

We have done lots of research (and have been learning the lingo) so we THINK we know what we are getting into (!), and are just renting to start with, a large finca with land and pool, on the outskirts of Aspe, i think the area is called “partida alcana” or so the estate agent said?? Apparently its quiet, i bliimin hope so too!

. . I work on the internet so i dont have to worry about work (check my profile for exactly what as i dont think i am allowed to post a link, not sure?) but we can get by ok, and the wife will probably end up teaching English as she has done before, and yes we are well aware of “la crisis” at the moment.

We are looking to get to know a few people as we are arriving “blind” so to speak, plus it would be great if anyone has any kids similar age to lucie to play with as she wont know anyone either. We are specifically also looking for a bit of info from people who have already made to move to the Aspe or Elche Area. ..such as................

What are the schools like specifically in ASPE ?(state schools not international ones)

What shops, bars or facilities are there around that area?

Any car boot sales or charity shops to keep Amanda (mi mujer) happy?

Are there any horse riding schools or horse stables in or around Aspe or Elche for my horse-mad little one who has been riding for 4 years now!?

Are there many english clubs and or societies one could look at joining? (no religious cults please) snake

Hopefully the area is away from the “union jack shorts wearing, beer swigging, beetroot red (dont speak a word mate)” type of people? (Yes a stereotype but you know the type of person i mean)

and what is there to do around that area, any suggestions?

Hope you all dont mind me asking grin

......and thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:27 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that are

You won't find many union jacks around Aspe at all, nor many local expats of any description, there's not much for them. Aspe in a rather unattractive Spanish town and has a large Gitano quarter, and the surrounding countryside is largely rocky and uninspiring, criss-crossed by two badly built motorways, where the few local farmers have to fight over their yearly irrigation water licences.

Elche is much nicer, but it's an industrial town (Shoe manufacture), with a sizeable Chinese population and considerable racial tension between the locals and the Chinese, which led to riots a few years ago when locals set fire to Chinese businesses. (The Spanish make excellent shoes, which they sell at around £30, the Chinese make perfect copies which sell at £5 a pair, or less).

I'm sorry to appear negative, but that's how it is. Alicante is only a short drive away, and has the usual city attractions and a beautiful port. To be near to any English clubs and the like, you've got to travel the 20 to 30 miles to the sea, and there you will see the Union Jack.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving from Plymouth to Aspe nr Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that are

Originally Posted by HBG
You won't find many union jacks around Aspe at all, nor many local expats of any description, there's not much for them. Aspe in a rather unattractive Spanish town and has a large Gitano quarter, and the surrounding countryside is largely rocky and uninspiring, criss-crossed by two badly built motorways, where the few local farmers have to fight over their yearly irrigation water licences.

Elche is much nicer, but it's an industrial town (Shoe manufacture), with a sizeable Chinese population and considerable racial tension between the locals and the Chinese, which led to riots a few years ago when locals set fire to Chinese businesses. (The Spanish make excellent shoes, which they sell at around £30, the Chinese make perfect copies which sell at £5 a pair, or less).

I'm sorry to appear negative, but that's how it is. Alicante is only a short drive away, and has the usual city attractions and a beautiful port. To be near to any English clubs and the like, you've got to travel the 20 to 30 miles to the sea, and there you will see the Union Jack.
where did you get this info ,ok Aspe aint spectacular but it is not that glum ,also 12 kms in reverse you have the two Hondons which has expats not all pissheads ,there are 2 horse riding schools that I know of which OP has asked about.There are loads of good restaurants etc in these areas also .I think this was a very over negative response to OP .
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with Plymouth.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from Union Street at night.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

hi to both of you and thanks for taking the time to reply.

and well, no, its ok, i need to know exactly whats its like and if i had all positive from people i would be worried!

To be honest we realise not much goes on in aspe, but we are used to driving everywhere so we will look around.

We had to choose SOMEWHERE to make a start, and we are only renting, so i dont know, maybe we'll stay in aspe, maybe we will find somewhere better , i dont know, but like i said, we had to choose a house somewhere, to actually make the move, and i guess we will take it from there.

as far as the gitanos, well, being a self confessed snob, i'm not too keen on that but theyre nothing like the british or irish gippos, so we'll see what happens.

......but i'm very much looking forward to having a look around and who knows, maybe after a while we will find somewhere better, but until then, aspe it has to be!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Nothing wrong with Plymouth.

....er. sorry i would strongly disagree with that!!!!!!!!! (but i wont go into it, i cannot be assed to speak about the place, we're off!!!!!!!!)

(I see youre in chiclana, i presume thats the same place near cadiz? We went there last year and had a very nice time
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Hola! We are a professional family (Myself, the good wife and our 8 year old daughter Lucie) and are Moving from the hell hole of Plymouth UK to Aspe near Elche, would love to hear from anyone in that area as we wont know anyone! we’re both hovering each side of 40 (!) so still VERY young people (ha ha ha!) tongue rolleye

We have done lots of research (and have been learning the lingo) so we THINK we know what we are getting into (!), and are just renting to start with, a large finca with land and pool, on the outskirts of Aspe, i think the area is called “partida alcana” or so the estate agent said?? Apparently its quiet, i bliimin hope so too!

. . I work on the internet so i dont have to worry about work (check my profile for exactly what as i dont think i am allowed to post a link, not sure?) but we can get by ok, and the wife will probably end up teaching English as she has done before, and yes we are well aware of “la crisis” at the moment.

We are looking to get to know a few people as we are arriving “blind” so to speak, plus it would be great if anyone has any kids similar age to lucie to play with as she wont know anyone either. We are specifically also looking for a bit of info from people who have already made to move to the Aspe or Elche Area. ..such as................

What are the schools like specifically in ASPE ?(state schools not international ones)

What shops, bars or facilities are there around that area?

Any car boot sales or charity shops to keep Amanda (mi mujer) happy?

Are there any horse riding schools or horse stables in or around Aspe or Elche for my horse-mad little one who has been riding for 4 years now!?

Are there many english clubs and or societies one could look at joining? (no religious cults please) snake

Hopefully the area is away from the “union jack shorts wearing, beer swigging, beetroot red (dont speak a word mate)” type of people? (Yes a stereotype but you know the type of person i mean)

and what is there to do around that area, any suggestions?

Hope you all dont mind me asking grin

......and thanks in advance.
From what I can gather Alcana is on the road from Aspe to La Romana, so in that area you are about 4 kms from La Romana, 6 from Hondon de las Nieves and 12 from Hondon de los Frailes, and near to an urbansiation which is under construction. All have quite a large expat community including Dutch, English and German. The local town halls all run free spanish classes (pay for materials, books only.) Aspe which is mainly a spanish town and really quite nice (in contradiction to what the OP has said)with a beautiful square, church and lots of cafes bars including 2 or 3 English ones. It has a Mercadona supermarket, quite a few shops, boutiques and banks.
There are around 10 schools, primary and secondary, a couple of which are fee paying. Although my daughter goes to secondary the standard of education is acceptable, lots of homework.
There is a car boot sale once a month in Salinas which is past Novelda off the A31. There is a charity shop in Hondon de los Frailes. Also animal rescue centres run fund raising days. 3 horses riding schools, one in Hondon de las Nieves, one near Novelda and the other between Hondon de las Nieves and Crevillente.
British Legion Club in Hondon de las Nieves. Golf course at Alenda which is about 10 kms from Aspe. Loads of mountains around if you feel energetic and want to go climbing. Hope this information helps a little.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muchos gracias! That info is very helpful. I did try and search online and found only ONE horse riding school, and it seems its up for sale, so i dont know if its still going?

Anyway, like i said above, i very much appreciate the info as we quite simply arriving blind , although very well researched, up to speed (sort of) with at least enough of the lingo to get by, plus we've been to spain loads of times before so were not going green, but these answers from everyone are so helpful and i would be suspicious if everyone painted such a rosy picture of the place, i would think you were all estate agents!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:02 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I should apologise for being a bit too negative about the town of Aspen, in my defence I can only state that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, and I've also got some stunning photographs in my album taken from the high point overlooking Plymouth Sound, so there.

And, we've got friends living in the Hondon Valley, and that is a truly beautiful location. And another thing about Aspen. You can get to the airport in ten minutes.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hey thats col. like i said, i would be WORRIED if everyone described it as heaven on earth, but its a start and i'm looking forward to it and our outgoings will be cut by more than half, but my wages stay the same, so quids in really!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre

as far as the gitanos, well, being a self confessed snob, i'm not too keen on that but theyre nothing like the british or irish gippos, so we'll see what happens.
I am interested in this statement, not trying to cause a fight or owt, just interested in what you mean by this statement.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I am interested in this statement, not trying to cause a fight or owt, just interested in what you mean by this statement.
hmmmmmmmmm
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
hmmmmmmmmm
I find it interesting this kind of thing, maybe its because i am such a mixed mongrel myself, but its something I find fascinating.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I find it interesting this kind of thing, maybe its because i am such a mixed mongrel myself, but its something I find fascinating.
so do I tbh - I'm told I have romany in me some way back (apprently on both parent's sides)

maybe explains the itchy feet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.