Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving my horses to Spain?!?!

Moving my horses to Spain?!?!

Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving my horses to Spain?!?!

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I've never really understood the need for horses to go on the road?
I never imagine it to be a pleasurable experience - for rider or horse?
I totally agree.... but they haven`t got a `beam me up Scotty` from Star Trek to get from A to B. My OH says they should all stay in the field and never move.... BUT..... we all can`t have everything. I`m struggling, to be honest at the moment, to be very understanding... never bothered me before but these kids need a bloody good slap.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

I've never really understood the need for horses to go on the road?
I never imagine it to be a pleasurable experience - for rider or horse?
no it not nice, but sometimes you have to ride on the road to get 'off road'
after having mine killed on the road, then having a VERY near miss with an arctic lorry over here, I vowed never to ride on the road again, im lucky here, as I dont have to ride on a proper road, its tracks that you get the odd car up,

though I get peeved now as quads and motorbikes are not allowed on them, (being national park) but we get plenty at the weekends, though when my horses hear a quad, and think its dinner coming, as I use mine to take the feeds to them
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
I totally agree.... but they haven`t got a `beam me up Scotty` from Star Trek to get from A to B. My OH says they should all stay in the field and never move.... BUT..... we all can`t have everything. I`m struggling, to be honest at the moment, to be very understanding... never bothered me before but these kids need a bloody good slap.
Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
no it not nice, but sometimes you have to ride on the road to get 'off road'
after having mine killed on the road, then having a VERY near miss with an arctic lorry over here, I vowed never to ride on the road again, im lucky here, as I dont have to ride on a proper road, its tracks that you get the odd car up,

though I get peeved now as quads and motorbikes are not allowed on them, (being national park) but we get plenty at the weekends, though when my horses hear a quad, and think its dinner coming, as I use mine to take the feeds to them
Fair points - yes I suppose limited road use is inevitable - therefore training is a must. Vicious circle innit?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Fair points - yes I suppose limited road use is inevitable - therefore training is a must. Vicious circle innit?
The older, much more experienced, riders are fine. Training is a must. Shouldn`t have a group of three or four teenagers on horses on the roads... would be like under-age vehicle driving.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

I can assure you that none of us out of choice would ever go on a road. Even in the rural areas now there is so much traffic. I am always courteous to anyone that slows down for me. Unfortunately in order to get to a bridle path and there on not many of them around nowadays you have to go via a road. And as these said "bridle paths" are now classed as "byways" we have motorcross bikes, quads and even four wheel drive cars coming though them. And, that is an accident waiting to happen!!!!!!! I will only go out hacking once a week now because of this situation.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:11 am
diddleydee

diddleydee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Janinem

Anyone who likes horses deserves the thumb up sign.

Things to consider re horses here

1 Choose a good transporter when you send them over we use John Parker they stick to the regulations re rest periods on route.
2 Select the time of year to arrive to allow for climitizing to the heat.
3 Be prepared to supplement grass feed with hay as the pastures burn off round about July onwards if not irrigated.
4 Be prepared to stable the horses during daylight hours as the heat is intense during the summer months.
5 Dont house the horses in stables with corrugated roofs as they will just cook the horses.
6 Inland temperatures are much hotter than the coast during the summer months and colder in the winter.

Regards

Diddleydee

Last edited by jdr; Apr 21st 2008 at 3:31 am. Reason: rule 9.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Duh!! Whats rule 9. And where do you find all the rules??
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trentino
Here
http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

(at the bottom of the page there os a link)
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:13 am
diddleydee

diddleydee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Trentino

Never mind about rule 9, included in my post was a reference to Reiki this service I give free of charge so I do not consider it as advertising.

The gift that I have cannot be charged for, and with regards to reiki for animals I have many case's that have been assisted to regain perfect health.

Regards

diddleydee

Neil Rodgers
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Neil, whereabouts are you based?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddleydee
Hi Trentino

Never mind about rule 9, included in my post was a reference to Reiki this service I give free of charge so I do not consider it as advertising.

The gift that I have cannot be charged for, and with regards to reiki for animals I have many case's that have been assisted to regain perfect health.

Regards

diddleydee

Neil Rodgers
If everybody never minded the rules I am afraid it wouldn`t be a very good site. If you join a site you should look through the rules as a courtesy before you post.
As far as I was concerned it was the same as someone putting plumber or electrician after their name.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

To be honest JDR whats wrong with putting a plumber or whatever behind your name. And, I am not be provocative here, just wondered why not. Lots of worse things are said!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest JDR whats wrong with putting a plumber or whatever behind your name. And, I am not be provocative here, just wondered why not. Lots of worse things are said!!
The rule was brought out because where would it end ?
The next one would be we fit blah de blah and only charge blah de blah call now and get a free blah de blah.
People do not join to read adverts on the forums there is a classifieds forum set up for that.
If people read through the rules they would find out there is an inconspicuous way of letting people know these things if you have a website.

Rule 9.
The forums, (including the private message and email systems), are not a venue for advertisements in any way. Please do not post promotional/advertising messages, urls, nor specifics that would lead people to your site/product/service. However, a single line in your signature with a link to your site is allowed. (For signature guidelines please read Rule 18.) It will be the sole discretion of britishexpats.com and its moderators as to what constitutes an advertisement.

Last edited by jdr; Apr 21st 2008 at 7:31 am.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:46 am
Just Joined

janinem1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by janinem1974
HI.
Im intending to move to Spain next year and have started the long process of selecting an area to settle.
Whats making it very difficult is that im bringing over my horses!
They are the priority as i need land for them - i can adapt to anything!

1. What areas should i be considering ( i have been considering Catalonia or
Valencia - is this good or bad?)
2. Is there anyone over that has already done this move? how did it work out?

I intend to be inland, about 1hr from coast.
I am planning a fairly tight budget and am looking at renovating or building from scratch.

ANY advice, info or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Janine

:curse: if anyone has PM me, please can you post on here as i cannot access my messages - it states restricted access to anyone with more than 3 posts??
thanks all
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:47 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janinem1974
:curse: if anyone has PM me, please can you post on here as i cannot access my messages - it states restricted access to anyone with more than 3 posts??
thanks all
and thankfully you now have made 3 posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.