Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to malaga. HELP!!!

Moving to malaga. HELP!!!

Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:47 am
Just Joined

lee1911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to malaga. HELP!!!

Me and my partner are relocating to malaga next summer. We could do with a little advice. Is this a good area to find work in hospitality. Is the rental market cheap. A nice place to live.
Any advice would be excellent.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to malaga. HELP!!!

I think there will be a flood of people telling you that work will be very hard to come by so if you are relying on finding work to fund yourself you may like to think again. If you have no work and no income you could live in the best place in the world and be very unhappy.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, people with property to rent will be hoping for weekly rents rather than over a month at a time in the summer. They can make enough money in 3 months to covers their bills for the year in some cases.

If you are looking to relocate permanently then you really do need to search for the latest requirements required to live in Spain. You have to prove to the authorities you won't be a drain on the country.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

We plan on taking enough money to see us through 6 months incase I struggle to find work. Hopefully with over 15 years chef experience I should be able to find something but if I'm honest I'd be happy cleaning toilets to make our dreams happen. My partner is an English teacher with a TEFL course under her belt so apparently she should be ok finding work. We are planning on staying there permanently so I'll have a good look in to that.
Thanks for the advice. Very useful .
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

We plan on taking enough money to see us through 6 months incase I struggle to find work. Hopefully with over 15 years chef experience I should be able to find something but if I'm honest I'd be happy cleaning toilets to make our dreams happen. My partner is an English teacher with a TEFL course under her belt so apparently she should be ok finding work. We are planning on staying there permanently so I'll have a good look in to that.
Thanks for the advice. Very useful .
Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lee,
Good luck with your move.
We´ve often used these guys when looking for rentals ...
alquiler Pisos Málaga y entorno | Fotocasa.es
The link should take you directly to rentals in Malaga.
Prices will vary by a huge amount as in the UK. Usually for good reason so get yourself over to check the areas.
As someone has already said, properties that haven´t been rented will be flipped over for holiday rentals during the summer. Try to find something before "high" season and agree a price and contract length.
Malaga, being a big City, likewise Fuengirola which is just next door, both have a lot of bars/restaurants but I have no idea what it´s like finding work. The situation has been pretty poor at best for a few years now!
Again, get yourself over and go and chat with business owners etc.
There are plenty of English schools about the place but your partner would have to enquire directly. There are a lot of English "teachers" chasing the same boat!
Whatever the case, good luck!
Regards
Stu
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Stu big help