Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Donation of body to medical science...

Donation of body to medical science...

Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:27 pm
ESB
Just Joined

ESB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Donation of body to medical science...

...Hello all.
I am a new member of the forum and joined because I am researching what my wife and I are to do with ourselves when we die.
We've decided that we prefer not to have the usual cremation or burial and would prefer to donate our bodies to medical research via a local hospital.
Google pointed us to a posting, made early last year on this forum, by ionie who had done exactly what we wish to do. Others on the thread wanted details. However the thread does not show ionie's posted details as they were most likely sent direct to those who requested the details.
Would anyone have information or details as to how this could be done. Perhaps ionie is still an active member or those who may have received the details from ionie.
We live in Almeria province, Spain.
Thanks in anticipation. Tony.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Donation of body to medical science...

Hi...welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to one of the Spain forums. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help you.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we have done this but live in a different area to yourselves.

when you have (I believe 5 postings) you can send/receive private messages and I am willing to give more info on how we went about it as I guess it might differ from area to area.

We have recently had a chat about this in our local hospital with one of the doctors and were told that they wished more people would do this.

Welcome to here btw.

Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESB
...Hello all.
I am a new member of the forum and joined because I am researching what my wife and I are to do with ourselves when we die.
We've decided that we prefer not to have the usual cremation or burial and would prefer to donate our bodies to medical research via a local hospital.
Google pointed us to a posting, made early last year on this forum, by ionie who had done exactly what we wish to do. Others on the thread wanted details. However the thread does not show ionie's posted details as they were most likely sent direct to those who requested the details.
Would anyone have information or details as to how this could be done. Perhaps ionie is still an active member or those who may have received the details from ionie.
We live in Almeria province, Spain.
Thanks in anticipation. Tony.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Jerseygirl kindly moved this thread into Siesta time but I think that it should be in the main Spain forum so I will also move it.

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:14 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

They cant take anymore here in Gran Canaria as a lot of spainsh give there bodys to the hospital and they are full up..
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might do well to read this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...orrors-834280/
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:49 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think you might do well to read this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...orrors-834280/
yes i read it and they can still have my body if they want it..
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Well, my wife was accepted by San Juan University Hospital last year, having signed both of us up some while ago. This is in Alicante province of course, so I cannot offer any view on other areas.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:07 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

We had a talk by the British Consulate a couple of years ago on this subject; on the day you die, the scientific research unit may not want more bodies, or they may have too many. If you have had an operation in the last two years, then they can not accept your body.

That´s about all I can remember of the talk apart it was not a definite solution.

Davexf
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Another story

The dirty money hidden beneath a pile of bodies at Madrid’s top university | In English | EL PAÍS