Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to La Linea/Gibraltar

Moving to La Linea/Gibraltar

Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:09 am
Just Joined

scotty74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to La Linea/Gibraltar

Myself and my girlfriend are considering upping sticks from Dublin and heading to work in Gibraltar. I have tried to research the job market there and with our lines of work it doesn't seem like we'd have to much trouble getting work.

The cost of renting property(if you can find any) is very expensive in Gibraltar and if we did move we would like to live across the border in La Linea where things are cheaper.

Does anyone on here do this? commute between La Linea and Gibraltar each day, is it easy enough?

also, if we're working and paying taxes in Gibraltar, we would be liable for any residency tax in Spain if we were living in La Linea?

thanks
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:16 am
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to La Linea/Gibraltar

Hi Scotty - it wont be too hard to communte athough unless you need a vehicle I would recommend leaving a car outside Gib and walking across the border - otherwise the traffic jams are huge. You will need to carry your passport with you as well. There are numerous taxis and buses in Gib so getting around is easy.

Re the taxes it will depend on where you declare residency and in Gib you will find loads of advisors perfectly capable of telling you the best way to set up, although residency is usally deemed to be the place in which you live permenantly. Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:15 am
Just Joined

scotty74 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks Rixxy

do you live in Gib/La Linea?

how do you find it?

it will depend on where you declare residency
If we were living in Spain would we be allowed to declare residency in Gib?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:29 am
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Hiya - I live about 40 mins away in Marbella. I love it, go to Gib rarely.

I dont really know if you can declare residency in Gib if you are actually living in Spain, but there may be a way around it. I think you need good advice and a gib lawyer would be able to help.