Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Javea

Moving to Javea

Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:34 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Javea

Originally Posted by JLFS
Good point about moving to the UK, it is done for different reasons, ie escaping poverty war etc, not in search of the sun and sangria.

The opposite moving to Spain, usualy worse financial situation and job prospects.

Guatamala....Guatapeor......springs to mind.
I spoke a couple of Spanish chaps where I work last night who had come from Spain to the UK for work - none in spain, they were desperate, came to England and found fairly good jobs, with good pay and prospects and they were thrilled - they did complain about the weather tho lol!!!

jo xxx
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:31 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivaJavea
I am a great believer in giving children "choices"
From an early age she makes choices in what she wants for example....

If you don't do this homework then you won't see your friends on Friday

you make it sound as though your daughter is the driving force behind the move.......but choosing between homework and mates is a minor matter.

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I dont disagree with the choices thing, altho I call it consequences for actions! However, having had five children, the eldest being 29, I do know that childrens choices arent geared for the long term. Thats why they have parents - to guide them and make sure they have the best possible choices when they're grown up!!! I always say, every failed exam is a door closing

Jo xxx
Good one JO

All well and good giving them choices, but like you say who would rely on the wisdom of a 14 year old to make a life changing choice for the family....... that is what the parents are there for.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:34 am
Just Joined

VivaJavea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well how things sound and reality are 2 different things!
Agreed that 14 year old are not wise,
The thing I have learnt from this forum is that people can also come across as judgemental and I'm sure that isn't intended!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I spoke a couple of Spanish chaps where I work last night who had come from Spain to the UK for work - none in spain, they were desperate, came to England and found fairly good jobs, with good pay and prospects and they were thrilled - they did complain about the weather tho lol!!!

jo xxx
I was talking to a British woman I know in the supermarket yesterday. Her 18 year old daughter's Spanish boyfriend has gone to England and found a job (also could not find anything here), and on his last visit home brought an engagement ring for his girlfriend and is full of plans for them both to work in England, rent a flat together, and has even been picking out the furniture he'd like! Isn't it nice to hear about foreigners wanting to move to the UK who are so keen to work, and about young people taking that opportunity to be able to start their adult life in the way we all took so much for granted. Just such a pity that they are having to leave their homes and families behind to do it because of the economic disaster in their own country.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Isn't it nice to hear about foreigners wanting to move to the UK who are so keen to work, and about young people taking that opportunity to be able to start their adult life in the way we all took so much for granted. Just such a pity that they are having to leave their homes and families behind to do it because of the economic disaster in their own country.
On the one hand it's nice, yes ....... but on the other hand the financial and social consequences eventually could be a disaster for the unemployed of the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
On the one hand it's nice, yes ....... but on the other hand the financial and social consequences eventually could be a disaster for the unemployed of the UK.
I'm not someone who believes that all unemployed people in the UK are lazy benefit scroungers who don't want to work, but even I have to wonder how it is that the well motivated people who travel there to find jobs are seemingly finding them quite easily? And it's not because they are all happy to pick cabbages for tuppence an hour and live indefinitely 12 to a room in some slum landlord's property, either.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

They could always come to Spain and work in a bar

Over a million Brits moved to Spain and France over the past 10 years or so, so they can hardly complain when it works the other way

I read something I couldnt believe the other day though. Apparently 16 food banks have opened up in Coventry over the past 2 years when previously there were none. Can people in Britain no longer feed themselves? Coventry is hardly a big city.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
They could always come to Spain and work in a bar

Over a million Brits moved to Spain and France over the past 10 years or so, so they can hardly complain when it works the other way

I read something I couldnt believe the other day though. Apparently 16 food banks have opened up in Coventry over the past 2 years when previously there were none. Can people in Britain no longer feed themselves? Coventry is hardly a big city.
Hold on though ...... many of those people I am sure moved to France and Spain as pensioners, thereby spending their dosh and being a benefit in that way to the country they moved to, yet not costing those countries a great deal (health costs are recovered).

I wonder how many Spaniards you would find in the UK that have moved there to retire??

Anyway, we digress ........ the OP's moving to Javea, and as far as I can see is in a lot better position than many that have come on here have been in
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on though ...... many of those people I am sure moved to France and Spain as pensioners, thereby spending their dosh and being a benefit in that way to the country they moved to, yet not costing those countries a great deal (health costs are recovered).

I wonder how many Spaniards you would find in the UK that have moved there to retire??
Thats some strange kind of morality

Those going to work will be paying taxes and spending their money in the UK. By working in Britain they will be contributing to the productivity of Britain and creating wealth and even more jobs within Britain

And even saying that, there are thousands of British families living on the CDS, there are probably hundreds of thousands across Spain. It is not just British pensioners living in Spain!

You either have freedom of movement or you do not. You can't have it one way only to Britain's benefit. I'm surpirsed of you Mitzyboy!

Last edited by cricketman; Jul 25th 2012 at 11:18 am.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 11:36 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by cricketman
Thats some strange kind of morality

Those going to work will be paying taxes and spending their money in the UK. By working in Britain they will be contributing to the productivity of Britain and creating wealth and even more jobs within Britain

And even saying that, there are thousands of British families living on the CDS, there are probably hundreds of thousands across Spain. It is not just British pensioners living in Spain!

You either have freedom of movement or you do not. You can't have it one way only to Britain's benefit. I'm surpirsed of you Mitzyboy!

No .... you were comparing apples and oranges, hence my comment to balance the scales. Spaniards tend not to move to the UK for retirement I would guess, but rather for work. I would also hazard a guess that some of those earnings return straight to Spain. However an awful lot of UK pensioners move abroad to retire and contribute to the local economy whilst not taking jobs from the locals.

Spaniards taking jobs in the UK detract from the job market for UK citizens and in effect increase the UK jobless (even though, as you say, they are presumably paying taxes). It's easy maths, and I wasnt suggesting freedom of movement should be one way .... just that it is probably weighted in one direction now.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Well after a meeting with the lovely Lynn I don't think that she will be going to XIC..............so many issues with the schoool,
Now it will be Laude, so a whole new issue of where to live now arghhh
But at least our options are a bit wider re locations for rental,
Does anyone of you fine Expats know of any 4 bed houses to let by any chance?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Well after a meeting with the lovely Lynn I don't think that she will be going to XIC..............so many issues with the schoool,
Now it will be Laude, so a whole new issue of where to live now arghhh
But at least our options are a bit wider re locations for rental,
Does anyone of you fine Expats know of any 4 bed houses to let by any chance?
it was good to meet you too - I feel you/she has made the right decision
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Yes me too, thank you so much for your time and wise word of wisdom, it really was great to meet you x
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes me too, thank you so much for your time and wise word of wisdom, it really was great to meet you x
no problem - you know where to find me
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

A great example of just how useful BE can be for those that really want to know as opposed to the dreamers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.