Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Javea

Moving to Javea

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Just is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Javea

Hi VivaJavea, I love Javea and I'm in the process of buying a place there to move into permanently in around two years time. My wife grew up there and lots of her family are there so let us know if there's anything in particular you need to know.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:12 am
Just Joined

VivaJavea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, thanks for response, I really appreciate it.
I think my main concern is that most of rental properties have holiday let's in and am unable to secure a place on this visit. I am going to have to take a chance I guess and then come end aug there will be lots more about. Is this wise?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:00 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivaJavea
Hi There,
I am moving to Javea with my 14 year old daughter.
She will start at XIC in September and am hoping for kind words of encouragement as apposed to "are you bonkers!"
Currently we are here untill end July and are looking at places to rent.
I speak some Spanish and the only issue is that I don't drive but it may be a blessing in disguise as most parents seem to spend a lot of time as taxi services!
I have an idea for a new business but I need to find my feet first and get settled here for a bit first.
I would really welcome any thoughts and advice anyone might have especially re renting and utilities etc etc
Thanks
14 is a tricky age, I know a few who made the move, education and job prospect wise things turned out bad for the kids.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:15 am
Just Joined

14 is definatly a tricky age!
That said she is really up for the experience/ challenge.
In London she went to a really big roughneck girls school and the new experience of this mixed school the new friends/ challenges she just can't wait.
We both believe in if you work hard you can truly do what you want.
I am not doing this move with rose tinted glasses and we all know horror stories of kids not liking it etc etc however even if worse case scenario that she wants to go back for 6th form in England then she will. But she will have a new experience learn a bit of Spanish and really if she was a insecure child who couldn't cope with change I would not consider it.
She is one of those out there kids who loves new challenges.
In fact when I was doing some work in Jamaica she went to school ther for a month! She was at primary then and she was in a local school and she still talks about how brilliant it was
I do appreciate replies but I have considered carefully all angles
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I am not doing this move with rose tinted glasses and we all know horror stories of kids not liking it etc etc however even if worse case scenario that she wants to go back for 6th form in England then she will.
I assume you will be sending your daughter to a private English international school?

If not then you are frankly crazy. Sorry but there is no way your daughter can learn Spanish and do exams in that language in 2 years. And thats not saying what the teachers and other pupils will think of having a classmate who cant even understand them

Would you be happy to send your daughter back to the UK on their own at 16? Again, sounds crazy to me. Where would they live for one?

Its up to you of course, but making sure you have thought it through. A 16 year old with no Spanish and no education in Spain has zero opportunities
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I assume you will be sending your daughter to a private English international school?

If not then you are frankly crazy. Sorry but there is no way your daughter can learn Spanish and do exams in that language in 2 years. And thats not saying what the teachers and other pupils will think of having a classmate who cant even understand them

Would you be happy to send your daughter back to the UK on their own at 16? Again, sounds crazy to me. Where would they live for one?

Its up to you of course, but making sure you have thought it through. A 16 year old with no Spanish and no education in Spain has zero opportunities
she is - she said so in her first post, though I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing that XIC is private 'international'

you do have a point though - I'm worried enough about my 16 year old who IS fluent in Spanish, English & Valenciano (with reasonable German & a bit of latin ) - I'm glad she is doing Bachi & intending to go to uni, which I'm realistic enough to realise might just be delaying the inevitable by a few years

whether she'll do uni here in Spain or elsewhere reamins to be seen - but after uni? Unless things improve dramatically I sincerely doubt her short term future after uni is here in Spain
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
she is - she said so in her first post, though I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing that XIC is private 'international'

you do have a point though - I'm worried enough about my 16 year old who IS fluent in Spanish, English & Valenciano (with reasonable German & a bit of latin ) - I'm glad she is doing Bachi & intending to go to uni, which I'm realistic enough to realise might just be delaying the inevitable by a few years

whether she'll do uni here in Spain or elsewhere reamins to be seen - but after uni? Unless things improve dramatically I sincerely doubt her short term future after uni is here in Spain
Given that the Valencian government is bankrupt then yes the future of education, health and almost everything else is in the balance..

The good news is it is still 5 years or so until a 16 year old needs a job after uni, so hopefully Spain will be on the rise by then.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:09 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I havent read all the posts on here, but two things I would say. Firstly, theres a poster on here Lynnxa, who knows the area, the language, the people, the schools and I would trust should I move to that area. There are a lot of desperate "so called professionals" in Spain right now, who will see you as "easy pickings" so beware!!!
Secondly, moving a 14 yo, unless you send her, not only to an international school, but one that follows the same examination board as her english school would be a bad idea. I moved back to the UK when my daughter was 14 - in retrospect that was stupid, eventho in Spain she attended an international school, it was a different exam board. So now back in the UK, she's not predicted to do very well with her GCSEs. As for sending a 14yo to a Spanish school???? I wouldnt consider it, unless she was bilingual. At best she may make friends with some of the locals, at worst........... !! But as I say, international schools, altho the best at 14, still need careful consideration. Experience with primary schools in other countries, really has no bearing at all!!

My daughter was 11 when we first moved to Spain, she went to a Spanish school initially. she was teased, bullied and she obviously couldnt speak the language, nor did she pick it up particularly (one phrase springs to mind "I dont want to learn their stupid language"). She learnt more spanish by being in the international school and made much better friends - interestingly, mainly spanish friends. Lets face it, to learn enough Spanish to be able to fuklly understand lessons designed for 14 yos, you need to have been learning it for 14 years!. Oh and trust me, my daughter has never been a timid child (I wish lol!!!) - she is scaringly confident, loud, pushy and not to be messed with. an awesome character. that was actually why she had such a hard time in her Spanish school. The British children there didnt like her cos she didnt take nonsense, they also felt she was snobby and the Spanish didnt like her cos she was British. In the end we took her out because she kept bunking off, catching the bus and going to the beach, shopping mall, the park....

Jo xxx
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Given that the Valencian government is bankrupt then yes the future of education, health and almost everything else is in the balance..

The good news is it is still 5 years or so until a 16 year old needs a job after uni, so hopefully Spain will be on the rise by then.
trust me - I have everything crossed

she does have her mother's itchy feet though

& I don't mean athletes foot
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:31 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

14 is definatly a tricky age!
That said she is really up for the experience/ challenge.
In London she went to a really big roughneck girls school and the new experience of this mixed school the new friends/ challenges she just can't wait.
We both believe in if you work hard you can truly do what you want.
I am not doing this move with rose tinted glasses and we all know horror stories of kids not liking it etc etc however even if worse case scenario that she wants to go back for 6th form in England then she will. But she will have a new experience learn a bit of Spanish and really if she was a insecure child who couldn't cope with change I would not consider it.
She is one of those out there kids who loves new challenges.
In fact when I was doing some work in Jamaica she went to school ther for a month! She was at primary then and she was in a local school and she still talks about how brilliant it was
I do appreciate replies but I have considered carefully all angles
I know load of kids who have learned a bit of Spanish/English or whatever through living aboad for a while, but not learned enough for it to be any use whatsoever.

I know loads of kids in Spain like that, one in particular about 14 only knows one word for "footwear", she calls trainers, flipflops, pumps = zapatos.

Her parents think she is practically fluent. ?Fools
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Yes like I said really you get out of life what you put in.
I don't want to criticise other expats, each to their own, however I find it really ignorant to be living in a foreign country and not to try and learn the language. Especially as there is so much help around with Internet/ apps online tutors etc.
I learnt Spanish when I was living in Barcelona ( a hundred years ago!) by watching kids tv. A great way to learn especially sesame street!
Just had a memory in the docs in London with an Indian child translating for Mummy about her incontinence!
Anyway you get out of life what you put in
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Mmmm no response.....
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mmmm no response.....
Oh I agree
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:16 am
Banned

Yes like I said really you get out of life what you put in.
I don't want to criticise other expats, each to their own, however I find it really ignorant to be living in a foreign country and not to try and learn the language. Especially as there is so much help around with Internet/ apps online tutors etc.
I learnt Spanish when I was living in Barcelona ( a hundred years ago!) by watching kids tv. A great way to learn especially sesame street!
Just had a memory in the docs in London with an Indian child translating for Mummy about her incontinence!
Anyway you get out of life what you put in
yeah shameful isnt it?

Thank god I didnt have to do anything like that with my parents when we were learning English.

Although they would not have asked anyway, they would rather have a friend go or pay for translation, and allow kids to be kids, without involving a youngster in plumbing probs or whatever.

Last edited by JLFS; Jul 24th 2012 at 10:18 am.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by JLFS
yeah shameful isnt it?

Thank god I didnt have to do anything like that with my parents when we were learning English.

Although they would not have asked anyway, they would rather have a friend go or pay for translation, and allow kids to be kids, without involving a youngster in plumbing probs or whatever.
that's why I learned Spanish - there was NO WAY I was going to be in that position

I remember not long after we moved here, going to view a house & Telefonica were there trying to install the internet - the 'agent's' son was having to deal with the engineer because the 'agent' spoke not a word of Spanish

now I had only been learning Spanish for maybe 6 months at that stage but I was able to get my questions across to the engineer - & thankfully I was able to understand that he was doubtful that he'd be able to get ADSL installed - the house was simply too far from the exchange & they were probably going to have to put some sort of radio system in - I didn't get all of it because it became too technical & even 8+ years down the line with WAY more Spanish I probably wouldn't understand it

however - the 'agent' was adamant that his son had spoken to the engineer & ADSL would be 'no problem'

now, whether that was an honest mistake or not, I'll never know - but we didn't rent that house.........

2 points to be made really - don't trust an agent who doesn't speak Spanish

& don't let your kids translate for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.