Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Gibraltar? Help!!

Moving to Gibraltar? Help!!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

sunshinekitty3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Gibraltar? Help!!

My husband has just been offed a job in Gibraltar and we are hoping to move there in the next few months. We have a 14 month old daughter and I am a bit apprehensive about the big change. We have looked at renting property in both Gibraltar and in the surrounding areas of Spain. I understand that it can be pricy in Gibraltar and that Spain is a bit less, but we are worrying about me being isolated in Spain and the travel costs and time for him to get to work, with the imfamous border control on the Gibraltar/Spain border.
Can anyone give me some helpful advice about whether the increase in rental price can be set off against other savings eg. lower tax, savings on utilities and food prices.

I work part time at the moment and run a business making and selling chocolate in the Uk, which I will probably have to close. Although I have contemplated coming back to the UK twice a year for a few months at a time to keep elements of the business going to earn a bit extra. I would find it difficult to work in Gibraltar as I would have no family to help out with childcare etc.
If I spilt my time with England and Gibraltar, am I classed as a Uk resident or not? Am I entitled to anything like child benefit or tax credits if I live in both countries and if so how am I supposed to split my time? Would I still do my UK tax return if I am earning in the UK?
Also I'm a bit confused about the healthcare. My husband has Bupa with work but are myself and my daughter entitled to free healthcare or do we need private health insurance? Or will the EU healthcard you take on holiday be all we would need? If we are only living part time in Gibraltar are we classed as visitors?
What about visas for residency or visiting?

Its all very confusing. Help!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Gibraltar? Help!!

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kitty

If you use the search facility for Gibraltar you will come up with some of your answers:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1162517

As you say the cost of renting in Gib is high but as you rightly say this can be offset against the extra travelling costs and time of living in Spain.

I would suggest you rent in Gib at first and then explore the possibilities of Spain.

Be aware that costs in Gib of most things is greater than UK, food etc.. However cigarettes and petrol are cheaper .
There is no car road tax and insurance should be cheaper, however there is no need for a car in Gib, but useful for exploring Spain. The buses are now free for everyone with the exception of the bus to and fro the frontier.No TV licence.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 16th 2011 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

As Fred suggests , rent in Gib first , life will be fairly straight forward and stress free regarding language,medical care,car purchase and so on where as in Spain nothing is straight forward especially your health care as you wont be paying tax/NI in Spain .

Good Luck.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for going off at a tangent, but can you get an M.O.T. on a UK car in Gib?
Pete
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Sorry for going off at a tangent, but can you get an M.O.T. on a UK car in Gib?
Pete
No, it`s not the UK, take it back and flog it or change it to Spanish plates.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought.
Its only 2 years old and I am going to replate it in the near future.
Pete
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for you advice. I think we will probably try living in Gibraltar first. The transition may be a bit easier.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Just another question. Sorry to be a pain. But my husband has a repeat prescription in the Uk for long term headaches which need contant medication. How do we go about getting these in Gib. Does anyone know?
Are we still entitled to certain things from NHS due to the fact we are working for UK company?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinekitty3
Just another question. Sorry to be a pain. But my husband has a repeat prescription in the Uk for long term headaches which need contant medication. How do we go about getting these in Gib. Does anyone know?
Are we still entitled to certain things from NHS due to the fact we are working for UK company?
I think he will be paying tax and NI in Gib even though he will be working for a UK company so you should get full cover,

Have a look at this .... http://essentialgibraltar.com/Medical_care.html
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rotor
I think he will be paying tax and NI in Gib even though he will be working for a UK company so you should get full cover,

Have a look at this .... http://essentialgibraltar.com/Medical_care.html
Thanks Rotor. I'll check the website out.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

zeldazebs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rotor. I'll check the website out.

Hello Sunshinekitty, Hope your move goes well. Could you keep us updated when you have moved please? I'm hoping to move to Gibraltar in the next probably 8ish months (fingers crossed). It would be nice to hear from someone whose just gone over. Obviously if you have time, I appreciate you'll have a lot on.
Thanks
Good luck with the move xx
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zeldazebs
Hello Sunshinekitty, Hope your move goes well. Could you keep us updated when you have moved please? I'm hoping to move to Gibraltar in the next probably 8ish months (fingers crossed). It would be nice to hear from someone whose just gone over. Obviously if you have time, I appreciate you'll have a lot on.
Thanks
Good luck with the move xx
Hi Zeldazebs,
I will try. I will probably not be moving over there until Nov as I will have to sort a few thing out in the UK first. Mostly business commitments. But I'm sure i will be pestering this forum for other queries over the next few months. Keep in contact and if you want to ask anything as we're going along it will prompt my memory to let you know how things are going.
Scary!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

zeldazebs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zeldazebs,
I will try. I will probably not be moving over there until Nov as I will have to sort a few thing out in the UK first. Mostly business commitments. But I'm sure i will be pestering this forum for other queries over the next few months. Keep in contact and if you want to ask anything as we're going along it will prompt my memory to let you know how things are going.
Scary!

Thank you. It is so scary, but good scary I think. I'm same, I would go tomorrow if I could, but have things to sort out here in the UK.

I will keep a look out for your threads xx
Good luck