Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a second hand car

I want to buy a second hand car

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default I want to buy a second hand car

I'm sure there are many people on here that can answer a couple of simple questions on buying a second hand car.

1. I've found a car for sale through a car sales dealer (not a main dealer). The car is a Spanish car and everything looks normal with it. Do I just go along to the dealer to see the car and take a wodge of cash with me just like buying in the uk?

2. Will I be able to drive the car away straight away?

3. What documentation will I need to take apart from NIE?

4. Can I just let the dealer handle the transfer paperwork?

5. I've looked through the Free Beer thread and the section on "Spain - the foreigner and the car" suggests that as the car is already Spanish registered then there is no transfer tax to pay, e.g.
Vehicle Already Registered In Spain

This tax is not applicable on sale of a vehicle that has already been registered in Spain.
But I thought that a transfer tax was always payable? Can anyone confirm this?

Ok, five questions but I'm sure they're easy ones.
Thanks,
Bill
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to buy a second hand car

Dont part with any cash until an independant gestor has seen all the documentation
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Why?

In the uk you would happily hand over a couple of thousand quid and drive off.

If it's because papers could be false then you could use the same arguments over there.
There's obviously an element of risk to buying anything, new or second hand. But at what point does being careful become paranoia?

I thought buying from a dealer was supposed to be safer then buying private.
Surely the official transfer of documents would identify any unpaid fines.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Why?

In the uk you would happily hand over a couple of thousand quid and drive off.

If it's because papers could be false then you could use the same arguments over there.
There's obviously an element of risk to buying anything, new or second hand. But at what point does being careful become paranoia?

I thought buying from a dealer was supposed to be safer then buying private.
Surely the official transfer of documents would identify any unpaid fines.
It could have debt attached , it could have been a total loss write off ,it may not be the dealers to sell ( Ive heard of 3 cases of this happening this month!) do you know how to check all this and the docs ?

In the UK 20 quid will buy you a HPI report telling you everything you need to know and gauranteeing it,as far as I know there nothing like that here hence get a gestor .

Caveat emptor.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
It could have debt attached , it could have been a total loss write off ,it may not be the dealers to sell ( Ive heard of 3 cases of this happening this month!) do you know how to check all this and the docs ?

In the UK 20 quid will buy you a HPI report telling you everything you need to know and gauranteeing it,as far as I know there nothing like that here hence get a gestor .

Caveat emptor.
Totally agree.
Usually the transfer and cash is handed over at the Gestors, however this means that no checks are done on the vehicle and trying to resolve a problem after the cash has been habded over is a nightmare.
If this is a legit dealer he will have no probs in you getting the gestor to do checks first......oh and yes the transfer tax will have to be paid, everyone gives different figures but I have always paid 4%. Usually the seller pays or you can come to some arrangement, on the price less tax or even share equally, depends what price it is and also I have heard that some dealers have "an agrrement" with Trafico as they are just middle men sometimes.
A Gestor will sort all this out for you.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Lilinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor

Caveat emptor.
I dont 100% agree. If it is a legit car dealer then you have legal rights, if it is [B]private[B] then yes id say get it checked out at the gestor. All you need to take is the matricula number and ask for an 'informe' (it the equivelent of a HPI) then after a day youll have the answer.

As for the docs, you need to give a copy of your passport and residencia, or NIE and proof of address.

The dealer has to give you a justificante when you hand over your copies, this is like a cover note to cover you while driving, DONT leave the dealers without this or the docs in your name.

Also by law the dealer has to give you a warranty, another reason to buy from a professional rather than private.

Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lilinspain
I dont 100% agree. If it is a legit car dealer then you have legal rights, if it is [B]private[B] then yes id say get it checked out at the gestor. All you need to take is the matricula number and ask for an 'informe' (it the equivelent of a HPI) then after a day youll have the answer.

As for the docs, you need to give a copy of your passport and residencia, or NIE and proof of address.

The dealer has to give you a justificante when you hand over your copies, this is like a cover note to cover you while driving, DONT leave the dealers without this or the docs in your name.

Also by law the dealer has to give you a warranty, another reason to buy from a professional rather than private.

Good luck.
You are a dodgy car dealers dream , its all very well qouting what the law is but your Arturo Daleys dont give a toss about it , you could end up not being able to use your car or even having it impounded or taken off you, a lot of expats are not capable of coversing in Spainsh well enough to check a car out and if your buying your first car here how do you know what doc your looking at ?? GET A GESTOR , simple.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:03 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

was I day dreaming or did I really read about people who buy a car in the uk who find it has been made up from 2 or 3 scrapped cars ?? Or that the car was stolen ??

Caveat Emptor !!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
I'm sure there are many people on here that can answer a couple of simple questions on buying a second hand car.

1. I've found a car for sale through a car sales dealer (not a main dealer). The car is a Spanish car and everything looks normal with it. Do I just go along to the dealer to see the car and take a wodge of cash with me just like buying in the uk?

2. Will I be able to drive the car away straight away?

3. What documentation will I need to take apart from NIE?

4. Can I just let the dealer handle the transfer paperwork?

5. I've looked through the Free Beer thread and the section on "Spain - the foreigner and the car" suggests that as the car is already Spanish registered then there is no transfer tax to pay, e.g.
But I thought that a transfer tax was always payable? Can anyone confirm this?

Ok, five questions but I'm sure they're easy ones.
Thanks,
Bill
1. No, leave a deposit.
2. No.
3. Just NIE.
4. No.
5. Don't know where you got that quote but EVERY car reqiures payment of transfer tax.
Speculation as to the legitamacy of the dealer is pointless and is only something you can make a decision on.
You have been given words of caution because that is good advice.