Reload this Page >

Moving to Gibraltar

Moving to Gibraltar

Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Ember66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Gibraltar

Hi all in Gib
My partner and I are working for a UK business via the Internet. We are currently living in france and would like to move to Gib.
I have read the free beer thread and many other reference documents, However, I am still confused on the following four points.
1. As UK citizens do we need a visa for stay longer than six months? (We do not need to work in Gib as we work remotely for a UK business)
2. Tax, will we be liable to local income tax?
3. Health service, we still pay NI stamp in the UK, so does that give us access to health care in Gib?
4. Do we need 3year residency before being able to buy a property?

Cat2 is not an option as we are no where near being worth 2million, thought we do euro millions every week so that could change, ok maybe not.
Thanks for any info.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Gibraltar

Originally Posted by Ember66
Hi all in Gib
My partner and I are working for a UK business via the Internet. We are currently living in france and would like to move to Gib.
I have read the free beer thread and many other reference documents, However, I am still confused on the following four points.
1. As UK citizens do we need a visa for stay longer than six months? (We do not need to work in Gib as we work remotely for a UK business)
3. Health service, we still pay NI stamp in the UK, so does that give us access to health care in Gib?

Cat2 is not an option as we are no where near being worth 2million, thought we do euro millions every week so that could change, ok maybe not.
Thanks for any info.
All you need to know is here..

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/europe/gibraltar/
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mikelincs
We have read that blog, it hasn't categorically answered our questions.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

1. As UK citizens do we need a visa for stay longer than six months?
No

Yes I believe so the options are Allowance Based System or the Gross Income Based System.or Category 2

No, except emergency care with a European Health Card

No, although certain properties do require this as they were built and subsidized by the Government
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
No

Yes I believe so the options are Allowance Based System or the Gross Income Based System.or Category 2

No, except emergency care with a European Health Card

No, although certain properties do require this as they were built and subsidized by the Government
if they pay tax & NI on Gib, as it seems they must, does that give them access to public healthcare there?
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if they pay tax & NI on Gib, as it seems they must, does that give them access to public healthcare there?
Yes

Last edited by Fredbargate; Dec 16th 2012 at 11:44 am. Reason: Changed colour to match previous posts
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all in Gib

Thanks for any info.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 16th 2012, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help guys, it does contradict some of what we have been told, however, it has been most helpful.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your help guys, it does contradict some of what we have been told, however, it has been most helpful.
Would you care to list the contradictions so we can see if we can clear them up?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Fredbargate, we understood that because our earnings are outside of Gib, we are in effect tourists, but would be liable local tax like poll/ habitation taxes, but not income tax.
Also that because we pay full UK NI contributions and we are UK citizens we would be able to register with a GP and for medical care.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate, we understood that because our earnings are outside of Gib, we are in effect tourists, but would be liable local tax like poll/ habitation taxes, but not income tax.
Also that because we pay full UK NI contributions and we are UK citizens we would be able to register with a GP and for medical care.
OK I am not a tax expert
However I believe you only have the choice of Allowance Based System or the Gross Income Based System or Category 2. Are you declaring your earnings and filling in tax returns elsewhere

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/taxation
Tax is charged on the income accruing in, derived from or received in Gibraltar (or in any other place) by an individual ordinarily resident in Gibraltar from employment or the exercise of any self employment activities in connection with a trade, business, profession or vocation. Dividends, pensions and emoluments of office accruing in, derived from or received in any place other than Gibraltar by an ordinarily resident individual are also taxable in Gibraltar. Generally, when taxed in the country of accrual and not received in Gibraltar such income is not taxable in Gibraltar.

Income arising outside Gibraltar, which although not actually received or transferred, is obtained in Gibraltar by an individual in the form of an equivalent benefit, is treated as having been received in Gibraltar.

Medical care, Gibraltar has it's own health service separate to the UK. In order to qualify you must be paying Social Insurance in Gibraltar.
All GP's operate from the Primary Care Centre unless of course you go private.

http://www.gha.gi/httpdocs/Primcare_Registration.html
To Register at the Primary Care Centre you require the following items:

Passport Photo

Valid ID Card/Passport

Proof of contribution- This form can be obtained from the Social Services Department. They will provide you with a letter confirming your contribution to GPNS.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Fredbargate, thank you so much for your time and trouble and trying to help us, it has been very much appreciated. Our move is not definite, we are just exploring the options, and want to do as much research as possible beforehand, after you have hauled all you worldly good over there it's a bit late.
Thanks again, you are a gem
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Best of luck whatever you decide