Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to Bilbao

moving to Bilbao

Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

boonic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Bilbao

hi all, I'm moving to Bilbao in September. I've been offered job in Indautxu. can you recommend an area for a girl in her late twenties to move to. gracias!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

artchancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Bilbao

No but I also want to know of good places to live, ie not too dear but not in a slum, and what's the best way to flat hunt. I'd rather not share, but accept I will probably have to. Any advice out there?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well Ive never lived there, but Ive been there a few times, last time to the BBK festival. I liked Bilbao very much

From what I saw, the pleasant area to live was up in the hills overlooking the city HERE

Theres a lot of parkland up there and open space, whereas the city itself I found a little restricting. Having said that if you like a busy noisy lifestyle, then maybe thats for you

If you are into rock music then you have the advantage of the BBK festival as well, Coldplay are headlining this year
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:27 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boonic
hi all, I'm moving to Bilbao in September. I've been offered job in Indautxu. can you recommend an area for a girl in her late twenties to move to. gracias!
I don't recollect any of the posters on this board living in the Basque country.

You're probably better off looking on a teacher's forum like the following. Although they mainly seem to cover Madrid and Barcelona, you may be in luck, I can see someone advertising a flat share in Bilbao. As for best areas, I suspect you may have to settle for what you can get.

http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums...board,8.0.html
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat067 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'm Sion, 26, Welsh and been living in bilbao or nearby for 4 years.

Indautxu is cool, and theres quite some nice flats and maybe some expensive ones too.
Casco viejo (the old town) is a different experience, and quite nice - as long as you don't mind the tourists and you check that the flat isn't falling down first.
Don't go for anything near san francisco (which is behind the big abando station as it's traditionally a bad place for more than one reason)

Also, consider any of the towns connected by metro or renfe -such as barakaldo, which is quite nice and is the second biggest city in vizcaya,

As for renting rooms you may find one with students or other spanish/basque people (try http://www.mundoanuncio.com/zona/bilbao_7.html) -it can be translated into english, but in general they don't usually rent out rooms that much (well i think at this moment, more are because of the crisis)

If your desperate you can easily find a room for rent in any locutorio (a shop where telephone calls can be made), but 90% of these are usually with south americans,

if you need any help or want to ask any questions about bilbao, durango, vizcaya just send me a message.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do not want to mess up this thread but just wanted to welcome Artchancer and Sionco to the forum.

Rosemary