Reload this Page >

Moving to Benidorm ??

Moving to Benidorm ??

Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:08 am
Just Joined

rosiejools is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Benidorm ??

Hi everyone.
Im new to this site, and I'm trying to get as much information as I can.
First of all my family and I are at the discussion stages of moving to Benidorm, thats my mum, step dad, brother and my 9 yr old daughter, we are looking at buying a bar in the centre on Levante.
My main concern at the mo is my daughter's schooling, she will be 10 in Jan, and from what I've read so far it could be quite difficult for her to go to spanish state school, as she maybe too old to realy grasp the spanish language, also a few yrs ago she was thought to be dyslexic but turns out she just takes a lot longer to grasp things, so is behind in her average yrs.
So I'm thinking that a British speaking school will be best, which I know can be expensive, but that is not a prob, I'd rather pay if she is gonna get the education she needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also any advise on moving to Benidorm would be appreciated too

Thanks

Julie
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:14 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Benidorm ??

Originally Posted by rosiejools
Hi everyone.
First of all my family and I are at the discussion stages of moving to Benidorm, thats my mum, step dad, brother and my 9 yr old daughter, we are looking at buying a bar in the centre on Levante.
My main concern at the mo is my daughter's schooling, she will be 10 in Jan, and from what I've read so far it could be quite difficult for her to go to spanish state school, as she maybe too old to realy grasp the spanish language, also a few yrs ago she was thought to be dyslexic but turns out she just takes a lot longer to grasp things, so is behind in her average yrs.
So I'm thinking that a British speaking school will be best, which I know can be expensive, but that is not a prob, I'd rather pay if she is gonna get the education she needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Julie
Welcome to the site. I don't know the answers to your questions but we've got a great group of wonderful people who use this forum, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out

Sue
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its a difficult one, because 10 is perhaps past the optimum age for picking up the language quickly, i.e. 5 or 6 would I'm sure see multi lingual in a relatively short period of time.

What you don't want is her growing up and mixing with english all the time and then never learning the language.

Do you know Benidorm well btw? Do you know what you're getting in to running a Bar in the Levante area?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

paddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud ofpaddy07 has much to be proud of

Hi everyone.

Thanks

Julie
I have children myself much younger than your daughter if you have the money pay and keep her education in English it is very hard for the kids in school dont believe th people who say they will be fluent in 6 months or dont do it
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

rosiejools is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its a difficult one, because 10 is perhaps past the optimum age for picking up the language quickly, i.e. 5 or 6 would I'm sure see multi lingual in a relatively short period of time.

What you don't want is her growing up and mixing with english all the time and then never learning the language.

Do you know Benidorm well btw? Do you know what you're getting in to running a Bar in the Levante area?
Yes I have been to benidorm a few times and my parents have been alot more than me, so know its very busy. Do you think Levante is a good place to bring children up?
I'm still unsure if its the right thing for me and my daughter, but my mum, step dad and brother will be deffo be going with or without me arh lol.
Like I said its at the discussion stage at the mo, but would appreciate more info.
Thanks, Julie x
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks

Julie

you're probably right & an International School would be best, & they are not that expensive, really. .......about 4.000E a year.

I would say 10 is probably about the oldest you should put a child into school where they don't speak the language - my girls were 5 & nearly 9 when they started at Spanish school after a year at International school. The older one had managed to learn a fair bit of Spanish before they started at the Spanish school.
I know quite a few English kids age 10 or 11 who came over last year & all have been held back a year in the primary school, simply because they haven't grasped enough of the language to go up into secondary education. If as you say you daughter takes longer than most to grasp things then in my opinion it should definitely be International school for her.

Just a thought though..........since you are still in discussion stages how about getting her, and you, some Spanish lessons now & see how she gets on?