Reload this Page >

Moving to Barcelona - Renting

Moving to Barcelona - Renting

Old Aug 17th 2016, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

SecretMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barcelona - Renting

Hello

I'm looking to move to Barcelona to start a job at the start of November. I'm ideally looking to be moved out there by October so I can get used to the place and get everything in order.

I was hoping that it would be possible to find a room in a shared flat in advance of arriving in Barcelona? I was wondering wherever this was a good idea and what alternatives people could suggest.

With regards to bank accounts, what is required to open up a bank account in Spain? Is it possible I could open an account with Santander in the UK so that it could work in Spain?

My apologies if the questions are stupid!
Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barcelona - Renting

You can open a non-resident account with just your passport and some money.

You will need to register as resident (sign on the list of foreigners) within 90 days though and then you can change the bank account to save charges.

Santander UK is VERY different to Santander Spain.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

To open a bank account in Spain you need a NIE and an address - it is the standard identification number that stays with you forever once you have got one.
Your first 90 days you are still a tourist but during that time you should get your paperwork together, register with the town hall, go to the police and get put on the foreigners register so that you can actually start to enjoy life. By the way learn some Catalan.... it helps.
In Barcelona better to bank with la Caixa - they are actually very good.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 12:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
To open a bank account in Spain you need a NIE and an address - it is the standard identification number that stays with you forever once you have got one.
Your first 90 days you are still a tourist but during that time you should get your paperwork together, register with the town hall, go to the police and get put on the foreigners register so that you can actually start to enjoy life. By the way learn some Catalan.... it helps.
In Barcelona better to bank with la Caixa - they are actually very good.
Many, many banks do NOT require an NIE
Old Aug 18th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Many, many banks do NOT require an NIE
It used to be the case one could do it with a passport and possibly you still can but since the new banking legislation and the need for the bank to hold your personal details on file as far as I am aware they all ask for a NIE if you are resident. Obviously as a non-resident there is no need but then a certificate of non-residence is required along with passport
Old Aug 18th 2016, 3:26 pm
Retired and loving it!

It used to be the case one could do it with a passport and possibly you still can but since the new banking legislation and the need for the bank to hold your personal details on file as far as I am aware they all ask for a NIE if you are resident. Obviously as a non-resident there is no need but then a certificate of non-residence is required along with passport
That's my point.

If you open a non-resident account all you need is a passport and some money. For all the people I've helped recently, not one of them needed or was asked for a non-resident certificate.

For a resident account you obviously need an NIE and also proof that you are a resident (green form/card).
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information regarding the bank account and the NIE.

In order to rent a room in Barcelona, do I require both?

I've just booked my flights and an AirBnB for two weeks, so I'm planning on trying to find a place and get everything setup in that time.

Is it possible to find a good, cheap place to live in Barcelona in two weeks? I'm mainly looking in Eixample and Gracia areas. I'm also going on my own, so I'm abit worried socially about how to meet people!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretMachine
Thanks for the information regarding the bank account and the NIE.

In order to rent a room in Barcelona, do I require both?

I've just booked my flights and an AirBnB for two weeks, so I'm planning on trying to find a place and get everything setup in that time.

Is it possible to find a good, cheap place to live in Barcelona in two weeks? I'm mainly looking in Eixample and Gracia areas. I'm also going on my own, so I'm abit worried socially about how to meet people!
Eixample and Gracia are two of the more expensive areas in Barcelona. It all depends what your budget is

You can line up what properties to see now. Go on idealista.com. You can filter by "habitacion" and by area
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
Eixample and Gracia are two of the more expensive areas in Barcelona. It all depends what your budget is

You can line up what properties to see now. Go on idealista.com. You can filter by "habitacion" and by area
Both areas are fairly within my budget. It's mainly the proximity to the main trainline that is most important to me. I've been looking on idealista and found some nice places. Alot of places seem to want long term lets from the get go. For example, I found a nice flat but they required 6 months minimum stay. I'd go for it, but without meeting the people and getting a chance to view the flat, it's quite risky!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes Idealista is a long term rental and sale site also good is :
https://www.milanuncios.com/alquiler...particular.htm
If you do not want to commit long term straightaway stick with Homeaway or Airbnb which you are using now.

Last edited by Loafing Along; Aug 19th 2016 at 1:39 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

yes Idealista is a long term rental and sale site also good is :
https://www.milanuncios.com/alquiler...particular.htm
If you do not want to commit long term straightaway stick with Homeaway or Airbnb which you are using now.
I'm happy to commit to long term, it's just getting to know the people before hand is my main concern. I might just have to take the risk! Thanks, I'll check that site out.