Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barcelona?

Moving to Barcelona?

Old Dec 13th 2018, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Mariean_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barcelona?

Hi all, I just got an offer to work in Barcelona for a technology company, they are giving me 2500euro net per month. I have been living the last 7 years in london which obviously salary is much more here. I dont know any spanish and dont have any friends in barcelona.
Should i make the move? Anyone living there is 2500e enough to get me a flat for myself (I dont want to get a flatmate). What are the difficulties coming from UK to Spain?
Any help/information would appreciate it !
Just to give more context i do like the sun and the beach so that would be a plus for me...
thanks
Old Dec 13th 2018, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barcelona?

Originally Posted by Mariean_1
Hi all, I just got an offer to work in Barcelona for a technology company, they are giving me 2500euro net per month. I have been living the last 7 years in london which obviously salary is much more here. I dont know any spanish and dont have any friends in barcelona.
Should i make the move? Anyone living there is 2500e enough to get me a flat for myself (I dont want to get a flatmate). What are the difficulties coming from UK to Spain?
Any help/information would appreciate it !
Just to give more context i do like the sun and the beach so that would be a plus for me...
thanks
First of all that's a very good salary for Barcelona and the good thing about Barcelona is that you will find many people in the same position. Of course you will have other challenges (language), especially when it comes to daily stuff (rent, utilities etc.) but others seem to manage with no Catalan or Spanish. Sure we all like sun and the beach, but again that will depend on location and some parts will be very crowded, then again you are coming from London:-). Although I always kind of had the idea of living in Spain and do have land near the Costa Brava, it's just too far from Barcelona and that's where the work is. On that salary you should have no problem finding an apartment though, so I would get an idea in sites like idealista etc.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
First of all that's a very good salary for Barcelona and the good thing about Barcelona is that you will find many people in the same position. Of course you will have other challenges (language), especially when it comes to daily stuff (rent, utilities etc.) but others seem to manage with no Catalan or Spanish. Sure we all like sun and the beach, but again that will depend on location and some parts will be very crowded, then again you are coming from London:-). Although I always kind of had the idea of living in Spain and do have land near the Costa Brava, it's just too far from Barcelona and that's where the work is. On that salary you should have no problem finding an apartment though, so I would get an idea in sites like idealista etc.
Thanks Moses-> i already got some ideas on the renting, for a proper house you need minimum 900/1000e per month. I dont want to move just for the sake of it i want to know i will be able to do some saving as well as i'm doing in london. I'm thinking that around 2000e will be gone each month on renting/bills/food/etc so that leaves me with 500e which is not that bad, however not sure if thats realistic... As a girl i do like spending so might end up spending the whole salary each month which is not ideal but again depending on your lifestyle..

How easy is to make friends too? i know there are other people at the same situation but in big cities when people are working (and not studying) is not that easy to make friends. For example London is not easy at all...
Old Dec 13th 2018, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moses-> i already got some ideas on the renting, for a proper house you need minimum 900/1000e per month. I dont want to move just for the sake of it i want to know i will be able to do some saving as well as i'm doing in london. I'm thinking that around 2000e will be gone each month on renting/bills/food/etc so that leaves me with 500e which is not that bad, however not sure if thats realistic... As a girl i do like spending so might end up spending the whole salary each month which is not ideal but again depending on your lifestyle..

How easy is to make friends too? i know there are other people at the same situation but in big cities when people are working (and not studying) is not that easy to make friends. For example London is not easy at all...
I don't know how much you are saving in London, but of course that plays a big part and then other things like job security are all things to consider. If you lose a job in Barcelona, there's not the same social security system you have in the UK, or in my case Ireland.
Then working hours can also be long etc. and it's then not always sun sea and sangria:-). We all have different reasons for moving. I like Spain (especially Costa Brava), but working in Barcelona wouldn't work for me personally (salaries, commute, etc.). It would be the same for me in London though, so I would just ask myself what you really want? Others will manage on lower salaries but it's your life and not theirs.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 13th 2018 at 9:46 am.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't know how much you are saving in London, but of course that plays a big part and then other things like job security are all things to consider. If you lose a job in Barcelona, there's not the same social security system you have in the UK, or in my case Ireland.
Then working hours can also be long etc. and it's then not always sun sea and sangria:-). We all have different reasons for moving. I like Spain (especially Costa Brava), but working in Barcelona wouldn't work for me personally (salaries, commute, etc.). It would be the same for me in London though, so I would just ask myself what you really want? Others will manage on lower salaries but it's your life and not theirs.
Yeah i guess the only thing i know is that i desperate need some sun and beach and bit better quality of life.. Really thats the only thing i know i want everything else im not too sure!!!
Old Dec 15th 2018, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Try some areas near the beach. Or somewhere a short train ride from Barcelona
Old Dec 15th 2018, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

You sound young with few things chaining you to the UK. You should take the opportunity. The worse is you have done something different. It's a great experience. Do it before Brexit too. You will love it. Barcelona is fantastic to live and work in. The weather is better than London. The nightlife is amazing. It is safe. The people are super friendly. You will learn the language slowly. I'm so jealous. !
Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
You sound young with few things chaining you to the UK. You should take the opportunity. The worse is you have done something different. It's a great experience. Do it before Brexit too. You will love it. Barcelona is fantastic to live and work in. The weather is better than London. The nightlife is amazing. It is safe. The people are super friendly. You will learn the language slowly. I'm so jealous. !
Have you worked or living there? Im sure I will like it I'm just worried it would be very difficult and challenging with no friends and not knowing the language.. If I had one of those things I guess I wouldn't be thinking of it. Plus salary is much less than UK buy of course is cheaper there...
Old Dec 15th 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the company reliable? If it is a big company like Google, IBM, Accenture there would be no problem. Will they help you sort out your residence permits, healthcare etc and getting an apartment? The main danger is losing your job after a short time and then having to search for another opportunity in a foreign country. Presumably you have skills that are not available in Barcelona since they don't care about language. Good luck.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by philat98
Is the company reliable? If it is a big company like Google, IBM, Accenture there would be no problem. Will they help you sort out your residence permits, healthcare etc and getting an apartment? The main danger is losing your job after a short time and then having to search for another opportunity in a foreign country. Presumably you have skills that are not available in Barcelona since they don't care about language. Good luck.
Its a big Japanese international company, i'm guessing they are reliable. But why will you lose your job after all the trouble relocating you?
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you right. It sounds a good opportunity to me. If you get fed up you can be back to London for the weekend. I worked abroad for 6 months and I can remember more about that than the 12 years I spent in an office in the UK.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:12 am
Just Joined

The problem is that this company does not have good reviews on Glassdoor so it worries me a bit... At least if you are making this step you should be sure about it right?
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a job offer you should be happy. There are thousands who would be delighted to be in your shoes. There will always be risks because life is full of them. You can't analyse every outcome. Get used to living in an uncertain world and learn to focus more on the present than future. It will make you more able to deal with life's disappointments later. See this as part of a necessary learning curve rather than a folly
Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The problem is that this company does not have good reviews on Glassdoor so it worries me a bit... At least if you are making this step you should be sure about it right?
It would worry me too and I can only imagine that working for a Japanese Company can be stressful. I would definitely take the Glassdoor reviews seriously. The problem with Spain is that many companies know they can either pay lower salaries, or they put you under pressure because you are earning more. Most of my Spanish friends don't enjoy the work life balance in Spain.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

You might do better looking for a company in London that has an international operation. If a UK company sends you abroad it is almost certain to be better terms than getting a local contract.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.