Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving Back To The UK

Moving Back To The UK

Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:30 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back To The UK

Originally Posted by JLFS
You have done the right thing for yourself and family, the uncertainty of not having a regular wage in Spain can cause so much stress.

The wide benefit system in the UK does make it harder fot its people to accept that if you dont pay in, you get no help when things turn bad.

It does not enter into a British persons thoughts, that a country does not help the jobless a lot of the time, and the help has a time limit.

There is a thread on the Italian forum about state benefits for the unemployed and things seem the same as Spain, if you dont put in the pot, tough....you dont take anything out.

This seems to be very harsh to me, but I am used to the UK way of thinking and it is unbelievable to me that people can be left high and dry like that.
This is one reason I was more amenable to giving loose change to beggars when I worked in Spain; once you're at the bottom of the pile there's no way up. Here in the UK (apart from the fact I currently don't have work) I feel that the beggars are really con artists, as they can always claim benefits (I know there are always con artists, but UK city centres have 100s of the blighters). I still buy the Big Issue though, when I can. There was a Spanish equivalent called Farola that I bought too.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by JLFS
You have done the right thing for yourself and family, the uncertainty of not having a regular wage in Spain can cause so much stress.

The wide benefit system in the UK does make it harder fot its people to accept that if you dont pay in, you get no help when things turn bad.

It does not enter into a British persons thoughts, that a country does not help the jobless a lot of the time, and the help has a time limit.

There is a thread on the Italian forum about state benefits for the unemployed and things seem the same as Spain, if you dont put in the pot, tough....you dont take anything out.

This seems to be very harsh to me, but I am used to the UK way of thinking and it is unbelievable to me that people can be left high and dry like that.
Yes I know what you mean, at some points when money we were expecting failed to materialise, it would be like 'well how do we get any food?' it really wasn't a very nice time. At one stage, through sheer desperation i even emailed the embassy to see if they could help! They couldn't !!! But i didn't expect them to be able to. Luckily we had good friends and family who helped us with the cost of flights home and my husband's job started a week after we arrived. So it all turned out okay for us in the end, but it could have so easily been a different story and i'm sure there are others that are in that position now.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
This is one reason I was more amenable to giving loose change to beggars when I worked in Spain; once you're at the bottom of the pile there's no way up. Here in the UK (apart from the fact I currently don't have work) I feel that the beggars are really con artists, as they can always claim benefits (I know there are always con artists, but UK city centres have 100s of the blighters). .
You couldn't make it up, even the beggars in Spain are a more honest, better class of beggar! And there was me thinking ill of all those gypsies, Eastern Europeans etc that hassle you everywhere, annoy you in restaurants etc.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
You couldn't make it up, even the beggars in Spain are a more honest, better class of beggar! And there was me thinking ill of all those gypsies, Eastern Europeans etc that hassle you everywhere, annoy you in restaurants etc.
Be funny if that's what I said - maybe you read without attributing your own prejudice! There are criminals, con-artists etc in all countries. I certainly gave the EE gypsy gangs a wide berth in Madrid (not to say that all EEs are criminals either, I met plenty who were working hard to succeed - you'd be surprised at how talented some Rumanians were in the academic field).
What I actually said (or tried to say, but obviously the meaning got lost) is that in the UK you can always get some benefit (ok it won't be much in some cases) so really there's no need to spend all day begging. In other countries there really isn't much alternative to begging if you haven't worked in a long while.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Be funny if that's what I said - maybe you read without attributing your own prejudice! There are criminals, con-artists etc in all countries. I certainly gave the EE gypsy gangs a wide berth in Madrid (not to say that all EEs are criminals either, I met plenty who were working hard to succeed - you'd be surprised at how talented some Rumanians were in the academic field).
What I actually said (or tried to say, but obviously the meaning got lost) is that in the UK you can always get some benefit (ok it won't be much in some cases) so really there's no need to spend all day begging. In other countries there really isn't much alternative to begging if you haven't worked in a long while.
There are people who will always misinterpret what you say because they want to

Extended families act as a benefit system to many Spaniards. I know cases where cousins, grandparents, uncles etc with jobs/income pay a little bit of money so family members who are struggling have enough money to eat and pay the heating.

Of course, recent immigrants to the country dont have this support, so it is scary to think what may happen to them in the next year as any unemployment benefit they have and/or savings run out
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are people who will always misinterpret what you say because they want to

Extended families act as a benefit system to many Spaniards. I know cases where cousins, grandparents, uncles etc with jobs/income pay a little bit of money so family members who are struggling have enough money to eat and pay the heating.

Of course, recent immigrants to the country dont have this support, so it is scary to think what may happen to them in the next year as any unemployment benefit they have and/or savings run out
Thank you cricketman!
Let's hope this current downturn soon ends. There's been quite a lot of talk in the UK press about the recession ending. If true (and I fear there still may be more pain to come) then next year may be a better year for jobs and indeed for tourist numbers to Spain - a lot of UK folk who stayed at home this summer will have been disappointed by the (average) rainfall. Fingers crossed the coming year is better
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:24 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sponging Spaniards also. One who lives nearby puts on a neckbrace every day and goes to beg in tourist places. Never wears it otherwise, he's only about 28
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:56 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here in the UK nearly four months and I have become UK resident again, although we didn't intend this when we arrived for an extended holiday in June. (Still hope to spend five or so months a year in Spain though).

So far, I love it. I have picked up my church activities again, can understand straight away what people are saying to me about my medical care instead of always wondering if I'd understood correctly, can buy ANYTHING in the shops,(which are cheaper than the Spanish ones)...

But oh for the blue sky and sunshine even in winter, the friendly and helpful Spanish people, the view from my windows, my quirky little white house....

Good and bad in both. Glad I've got a choice. Many people haven't and if they are scraping the barrel they are better off in the UK, imho as they are looked after better.

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 10th 2009 at 3:01 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

While shopping in Mercadona the other day, I saw a middle-aged Spaniard, who looked like a family man, use a small knife to cut the contents of a meat container open, slipping the meat into a plastic bag. He was very quick and did it three times in different parts of the meat counter, each time hiding the empty containers under full ones. The plastic bag with the stolen meat was then concealed in a bulky jacket.

I felt extremely sorry for him and imagined that he was stealing to feed his family. He left the store after buying a bottle of water.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

I had a mate that went back 5 years ago due to finances and actually did well for himself since returning to the uk.He is now a qualified driving instructor earning top whack, plus he has since got married and now has a 1 year old child. He now wants to move back to spain and is willing to take a big paycut.His wife however doesnt want to move out here so theres a lot going on right now.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, for the first time in 10 years, there are fewer foreign children registered in Costa Blanca schools that Spanish. Minister believes it is due to foreign families returning 'home' for financial reasons.

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/compon...,94/view,book/
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Apparently, for the first time in 10 years, there are fewer foreign children registered in Costa Blanca schools that Spanish. Minister believes it is due to foreign families returning 'home' for financial reasons.

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/compon...,94/view,book/
I guess if you are lucky enough to get some decent work (and you do work for it) in spain then it isnt too bad.

We were nearly ready to move back a few months back but now I have a full time job again and earn commision with bingo,cd sales etc in my entertainment job. My girlfriend also has full time work plus does 3 evenings in a friends bar. Together our combined wage is over 3k per month as opposed to only 4 months ago was around 1400 euros between us and we were struggling for 2 years. I guess going back to the UK now and getting 2 jobs combining £3k may take some time and you probably would need a trade which neither of us really have. This may not last forever but we may as well enjoy a decent wage while we can and may as well stay in spain in the meantime.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:54 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
I guess if you are lucky enough to get some decent work (and you do work for it) in spain then it isnt too bad.

We were nearly ready to move back a few months back but now I have a full time job again and earn commision with bingo,cd sales etc in my entertainment job. My girlfriend also has full time work plus does 3 evenings in a friends bar. Together our combined wage is over 3k per month as opposed to only 4 months ago was around 1400 euros between us and we were struggling for 2 years. I guess going back to the UK now and getting 2 jobs combining £3k may take some time and you probably would need a trade which neither of us really have. This may not last forever but we may as well enjoy a decent wage while we can and may as well stay in spain in the meantime.
It sounds as though your ship has come in. And your job sounds like fun, (2 fat ladies and all that). I hope it carries on that way, although if you have carved out a little niche for yourself, there is not reason why it shouldnt.

Folks like to see a face that they can relate to in your business. Go with the flow. After the struggle it will seem even sweeter.......