Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Andalucia

Moving to Andalucia

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:03 am
Just Joined

ChaplinL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Andalucia

OK, so you've had a good discussion (argument ) about which is the best town in the region, but does anyone have any information about language schools for learning Spanish or any information about alternative healing practices in the area??
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:25 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChaplinL
OK, so you've had a good discussion (argument ) about which is the best town in the region, but does anyone have any information about language schools for learning Spanish or any information about alternative healing practices in the area??
AeG has a foreigners office I believe, altho I dont know where it is. But they will be able to tell you when, where and if spanish lessons are held and maybe some of the other things you want to find out about

Jo xxx
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

bernherts is an unknown quantity at this point

Language school in Coín is the centro de idiomas run by Valerie Jeffery, it;s in the centre of town although a couple of mornings a week there are classes at the International Bar in el Rodeo (easier for parking as well as coffee or tea) in a private room. Tel 952 450 747 or look at http://www.cdi-coin.com, courses at all levels and for all ages, small conversational groups and the good thing about these classes is that you end up talking about things that happen in your life, so it's more than just a Spanish equivalent of "la plume de ma tante".

Am sure there are other classes too, but I could never find the one in Alhaurin as the street it's in was being dug up for months when I was looking for it.

As for Coronation Street, probably true, but it's why we live in the campo rather than a ghetto
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

bernherts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
AeG has a foreigners office I believe, altho I dont know where it is. But they will be able to tell you when, where and if spanish lessons are held and maybe some of the other things you want to find out about

Jo xxx
Whilst technically living in AeG, I've never found the foreigners Dept, the one in Coín is open every Friday at the town hall (and even they couldn't say where the AeG one was or how to contact them).

As for language schools, try Centro de Idiomas, again Coín, tel 962 450 747, http://www.cdi-coin.com
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:28 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I found this, no phone number tho. But there are other links I think on the net

"Making life easier for foreign residents in Alhaurin el Grande
www.euroweeklynews.com
ALHAURIN EL GRANDE - THE Foreigners Information Office in Alhaurin el Grande, which is located at the Casa de la Cultura, was the location chosen for the first Provincial Encounter of Foreigners Department. The new service was started by the town hall this year and the aim is to make the initiative ..."

Jo xxx
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Hello there, we too live in AeG.

Don´t know about schools but I am sure there will be something in the area. I will investigate.

In terms of the bus to the airport. The Alhauin EG to Malaga bus goes from the Feria ground in AeG and stops at the airport. However when I say at the airport, it stops on the main road that goes past the airport, giving you a twenty minute walk. We did it at christmas in the rain, with two kids and five cases. Not good. The cost was minimal though, couple of euros each, and the sevice was excellent.

Regards

Chris
then you did it wrong.

take the bus to the centre of malaga, for 1,75€ each, then jump off, go to the far end of the bus station and catch the number 19 bus that stops right outside arrivals.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Andalucia

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
COÍN????? I found it rather grim. Lots of empty industrial units that were owned by brits who seem to have returned to the UK, La Troche (the big shopping centre) which always seemed to be empty and the town itself seemed rather grubby and uninspiring! However, thats just my opinion. I'm sure there are those who will tell me otherwise

Jo xxx
Hi Jo, In many ways your impression of Coin is correct but what town in that area does not have industrial units, grubby streets, empty shops and Brits. That area has become like that since the new road links to Malaga and the coast> Its always been a run down sort of place but that was its appeal. Genuine towns with real working people unlike Marbella and the coast. There are some great bars in Coin..La Reja in the centre does the best Bacon Pitufo in the world..
I dont live in Coin but we go shopping there and enjoy the Ferias, the Day of the Orange and the facilities...
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Rather ( better ) yourselves , in Andalucia , than me , mates !
Tried it , half-a- dozen times , from Gibraltar , via Marbella , Malaga , Axarxia , all the way to Nerja , stayed in Puerto Banus , Malaga , Coin , Mijas , Torremolinos , Estepona ....and :
still manage to hate it , more than any poison known to mankind ;
each to their own , I suppose ?
IF I really really had to go to Espana , which I hope : will Never be the case !? ,
then the least insulting would be that stretch from French border , via Figueres and Girona to just before Barcelona , incl. the stretches of nicely-wooded , rough coast and a ( very ) few decent hotels , before'n'after Tossa de Mar !
...El Bulli is also nearby , as is Cadaques and that big , silly marina , overrun by the fat Germans , the meanest-stingy Dutch & the ever-whingeing Belgians , Ampuriabrava or whatever it's called nowadays , the memory keeps on failing me...
but , as I already said : each to their own !
Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:27 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Hi Jo, In many ways your impression of Coin is correct but what town in that area does not have industrial units, grubby streets, empty shops and Brits. That area has become like that since the new road links to Malaga and the coast> Its always been a run down sort of place but that was its appeal. Genuine towns with real working people unlike Marbella and the coast. There are some great bars in Coin..La Reja in the centre does the best Bacon Pitufo in the world..
I dont live in Coin but we go shopping there and enjoy the Ferias, the Day of the Orange and the facilities...
I didnt live there either, but as you, I visited several times for several reasons and that was my opinion of it. I guess its a matter of taste and choice, obviously there are those who love it

Jo xxx
Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:28 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Ray51
Tried it , half-a- dozen times , from Gibraltar , via Marbella , Malaga , Axarxia , all the way to Nerja , stayed in Puerto Banus , Malaga , Coin , Mijas , Torremolinos , Estepona ....and :
IF I really really had to go to Espana , which I hope : will Never be the case !? ,
then the least insulting would be that stretch from French border , via Figueres and Girona to just before Barcelona , incl. the stretches of nicely-wooded , rough coast and a ( very ) few decent hotels , before'n'after Tossa de Mar !
...El Bulli is also nearby , as is Cadaques and that big , silly marina , overrun by the fat Germans , the meanest-stingy Dutch & the ever-whingeing Belgians , Ampuriabrava or whatever it's called nowadays , the memory keeps on failing me...
Not much point in posting on the Spanish forum then!

Jo x
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:02 am
Just Joined

ChaplinL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for all the information. The house we thought we were moving into has fallen through....so we are back to square one and not sure when we will be moving.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:14 am
squeaky clean

Thanks everyone for all the information. The house we thought we were moving into has fallen through....so we are back to square one and not sure when we will be moving.

Thats awful, dont give up, keep looking. Maybe come over and rent for a while to get an idea of the areas from your own perspective??

Jo xxx
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
We cant accuse Ray of pulling his punches, you gotta admire his style....at least he insults everyone equally......