Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking for work in/near Gibraltar

Looking for work in/near Gibraltar

Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

jimluftas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work in/near Gibraltar

Hi, my girlfriend & I are moving to the area (possibly Duquesa) next month & will both be looking for work. I currently work as a joiner & she is a nursery nurse. Could anybody give me any tips on the best places to look for work? we're both quite flexible but don't really want to do bar work.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work in/near Gibraltar

Originally Posted by jimluftas
Hi, my girlfriend & I are moving to the area (possibly Duquesa) next month & will both be looking for work. I currently work as a joiner & she is a nursery nurse. Could anybody give me any tips on the best places to look for work? we're both quite flexible but don't really want to do bar work.
best advice?

find a job before you come or make sure you have enough money to last several months & look upon it as a long holiday/fact finding mission - if you are lucky enough to get a job then you'll be lucky indeed

unemployment in Spain is more than twice that in the UK
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

In Malaga region unemployment is up to 30%, but that is only the ones on the radar.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

As a retired nurse I can assure you that communication is vital whether nursing at a hospital or in a nursery so your girl friend needs to speak Spanish. We had problems with some overseas nurses working in the UK a few years ago who had poor language skills. She would have a hard time looking after Spanish children who knew no English and she no Spanish.

Ask yourself what job you could get in the UK if you spoke no English especially if 20% + of the population were out of work as is the case in Spain just now.

If you have a few grand in the bank then do as someone else said, come on holiday for a couple of months and if you find work then stay.

Australia would be your best bet with the skill sets you both have and there is work out there.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
best advice?

find a job before you come or make sure you have enough money to last several months & look upon it as a long holiday/fact finding mission - if you are lucky enough to get a job then you'll be lucky indeed

unemployment in Spain is more than twice that in the UK
quoted for truth. this is the best advice that ive seen on a forum in the past months. you have absolutly no idea how bad it really is here for finding work.

Originally Posted by bob_bob
needs to speak Spanish.
not really 100% needed in gib.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

jimluftas is an unknown quantity at this point

we have a friend to stay with for a while just outside gibraltar & we thought that would be a good place to look for work being english speaking. i must say i didn't realise things were so bad in spain. there does seem to be a few families looking for nannies in the Marbella area, my girlfriend was thinking this could be a better route than a nursery.