Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to alicante

Moving to alicante

Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

almac1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to alicante

My wife and I may be moving to Alicante. I am applying for two teaching posts at the moment. If successful I will be working just south of Alicante town or in La Nucia. Could anyone advise me on nice places to live with an expat community and hopefully costal. I have had a look at albir and altea and also Gran Alicant. My wife would be looking for a part or full time job. We only have a basic knowledge of Spanish.

Any info on costs such as electricity, gas, and second hand cars would also be appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:06 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to alicante

Originally Posted by almac1
My wife and I may be moving to Alicante. I am applying for two teaching posts at the moment. If successful I will be working just south of Alicante town or in La Nucia. Could anyone advise me on nice places to live with an expat community and hopefully costal. I have had a look at albir and altea and also Gran Alicant. My wife would be looking for a part or full time job. We only have a basic knowledge of Spanish.

Any info on costs such as electricity, gas, and second hand cars would also be appreciated!!

Thanks

La Nucia is full of Brits and some Germans too. Some areas are quite pleasant.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:10 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know the area that you're looking at as I'm in the costa del sol, altho if you're looking at teaching posts in international schools, the best thing to do is ask which areas are most popular once you get a job, come over and see what you like. As for part time work for your wife, well as I say I dont live in that area, but i suspect its not going to be easy. Spain has mass unemployment. You maybe need to settle first and then she can look and ask around. Very often in Spain its not what you know but who

I can tell you that Electricity is probably about the same as the UK, gas, in most areas isnt laid to mains, but you can buy bottles which cost around 13€ and second hand cars are more expenisve than the UK

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Feb 26th 2011 at 12:13 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I dont know the area that you're looking at as I'm in the costa del sol, altho if you're looking at teaching posts in international schools, the best thing to do is ask which areas are most popular once you get a job, come over and see what you like. As for part time work for your wife, well as I say I dont live in that area, but i suspect its not going to be easy. Spain has mass unemployment. You maybe need to settle first and then she can look and ask around. Very often in Spain its not what you know but who

I can tell you that Electricity is probably about the same as the UK, gas, in most areas isnt laid to mains, but you can buy bottles which cost around 13€ and second hand cars are more expenisve than the UK

Jo xxx

Thanks, we should be able to survive on my wage as I should get 1400-1600 after tax and we don't have kids, so work is not a must. Thanks for the info
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Albir is very nice, we lived there, and it's very handy for Benidorm if you want nightlife, of for visitors.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Albir is very nice, we lived there, and it's very handy for Benidorm if you want nightlife, of for visitors.
Thanks mikelincs. Do you know if La Nucia is accessible by bus or train - I really have no knowledge of the area!

Did you PM me? I am new to the site and it won't let me access a PM. It says the administrator has restricted viewing to people with more than 3 posts???
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Muscovite is an unknown quantity at this point

My father lives in La Nucia - its a very nice place to be.

There is a direct bus service from Benidorm bus station that goes through La Nucia and beyond. I'm not sure of the schedule, but the bus stops seem to have a frequent change of waiting passengers.

The train line to Alicante obviously passes through Benidorm and Altea, so you'd have to use the bus or a taxi to go the extra four miles or so inland to La Nucia.

My old man has worked out a way to get the whole way from his house to Alicante airport by bus in reasonable time - and he's not really the adventurous sort. Therefore I guess everything is reasonably convenient.

The road from La Nucia to Benidorm is lined by shops including many of the big supermarkets, so the area is very convenient.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Muscovite
My father lives in La Nucia - its a very nice place to be.

There is a direct bus service from Benidorm bus station that goes through La Nucia and beyond. I'm not sure of the schedule, but the bus stops seem to have a frequent change of waiting passengers.

The train line to Alicante obviously passes through Benidorm and Altea, so you'd have to use the bus or a taxi to go the extra four miles or so inland to La Nucia.

My old man has worked out a way to get the whole way from his house to Alicante airport by bus in reasonable time - and he's not really the adventurous sort. Therefore I guess everything is reasonably convenient.

The road from La Nucia to Benidorm is lined by shops including many of the big supermarkets, so the area is very convenient.
Great info to have, thanks
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

bus timetable one an hour to benidorm. or from Alfaz del Pi to Benidorm or Albir & Altea every 15 mins (nr 10 bus)
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

My office is in La Nucia and I think you will enjoy the life there. I have to say that there is a rumour that one of the local schools is in financial difficulties! If you want to private email me I can let you know if it is one of the ones that you have applied to

I have lived in Albir for three years and would prefer that town though to La Nucia.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:37 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that if you start at Altea with a two bedroom rental apartment next to the sea, it will cost you 700 Euros a month. As you move south down the coast the same property will become cheaper and cheaper, apart from an obvious hiccup in Benidorm and Alicante City, until you get to Torrevieja and Orihuela Costa where you’ll be paying less than half that amount for a similar apartment.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:32 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Santa Pola is quite nice Gran Alicant is ...... awful. Guadamar may be a bit far for you to commute?

The cost of utilities depends on what type of property and how frugal your consumption. I would suggest if you guestimate for a bit less than you spend in UK, you will be about right.

Second hand cars are more expensive. Be very careful what and where you buy.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

What's wrong with Gran Alacant? (No I don't live there but know it!)
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Santa Pola is quite nice Gran Alicant is ...... awful. Guadamar may be a bit far for you to commute?

The cost of utilities depends on what type of property and how frugal your consumption. I would suggest if you guestimate for a bit less than you spend in UK, you will be about right.

Second hand cars are more expensive. Be very careful what and where you buy.
Could you PM me your thoughts on Gran Alicant as that might be the best geographical location for the job I am applying for. It would keep travel expenses low. I've heard Gran Alicant is not as 'spanish' as Santa Pola but nothing else negative.

Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Could you PM me your thoughts on Gran Alicant as that might be the best geographical location for the job I am applying for. It would keep travel expenses low. I've heard Gran Alicant is not as 'spanish' as Santa Pola but nothing else negative.

Thanks
My comment was unfair. There are lots of Brits who live and love it there. Each to their own and I shall PM you with my own thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.