Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

move to majorca in 5 years time with £100000

move to majorca in 5 years time with £100000

Old May 5th 2014, 2:30 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: move to majorca in 5 years time with £100000

Originally Posted by agoreira
Aren't there certain drugs, not on the list that can be very expensive? I seem to remember JLFS telling us of a rellie paying well over £100 a month.
That was for workers, and it was over 300 a month!!!!
At the time it was 50% of the cost.

Now it is 60%.

A friends mother is paying 110 euros, and is having a bit of bother finding some tablets, as the patent for them has ran out, so now there will be competition, so right now nobody is making them as there is not enough profit.
Old May 5th 2014, 2:52 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, but only 10% of the cost up to a maximum of €8 a month - hardly expensive!
the way some on here tell it then it is expensive
but I have no complaints about my having to pay the 10%
the only complaint I have is that after 2 years of the same meds every month, even on a 6m prescription cycle there is always one that is "not in until tomorrow". This morning it was 2 of the 3.
Old May 5th 2014, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

hicornwall is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a secure council tenancy, the most secure you can get in uk, more secure than a housing association, however, that ability to choose where you want to live is limited, albeit a swap which is hard.
i dont want to be in a insucure private rental in the uk when older in a town i dont want, im in a secure tenancy at mo in a town i dont want,
id rather have a insecure tenancy in a place i want eg majorca.and im sure the price of a 1 bed rental in palmanova must be cheaper than a 1 bed rental in st ives cornwall
Old May 5th 2014, 2:54 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
That was for workers, and it was over 300 a month!!!!
At the time it was 50% of the cost.

Now it is 60%.

A friends mother is paying 110 euros, and is having a bit of bother finding some tablets, as the patent for them has ran out, so now there will be competition, so right now nobody is making them as there is not enough profit.
this means it becomes generic and all companies can make it, someone somewhere will pick it up and run with it knowing that little profit is better than none at all.
Old May 5th 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

you may say that i get the same experience here at a fraction of the cost renting council than someone that buys in st ives, fowey, padstow etc but when i want a perm change eg majorca thats when i hit problems, i can understand folk living in glasgow etc wanting to retire to majorca, but folk in cornwall wanting majorca seems unusual, although alot of the large houses here for sale are only for sale as folk want the same type house and more sun abroad.
thats my only conclusion why they are selling up, they arent doing it to downsize to a flat in blackpool with £250000 in thier back pocket
Old May 5th 2014, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

what is the general status for forum members living abroad regarding where they stay, do most rent or buy.
in uk say 65% own, 17% council/housing association, 18% private rent.
if most buy, then what about all the risks buying abroad, price falling, illegal plots versus insecure private rentals.
i remember seeing high rise flats in magaluff and thinking i was in the eastend of glasgow and thinking these must be the equivalent to highrise council flats in the uk.I have toured the nicer bits of majorca I may add.
anyway is it a case of rent insecure in majorca or buy a risky property in majorca, is that the only choice.

Last edited by hicornwall; May 5th 2014 at 3:39 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 8:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Aren't there certain drugs, not on the list that can be very expensive? I seem to remember JLFS telling us of a rellie paying well over £100 a month.
Course there are but let's not bother about things like that always look on the bright side. Reading some posts everyone only goes to the Medico for prescriptions for Ibuprofen and pays a couple of euro
Old May 5th 2014, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There will always be expensive drugs that aren't on the list, but they often cost thousands, not hundreds. They probably would not be on the UK list either.

As I said, if you are retired you only pay 10% and it is capped at €8 in total for the month.
Fine if it works in your region, but here in Murcia, I regularly pay 15-20 euros a month when I should be paying 8 euros maximum, my yearly income being less than 18,000 euros.
Other regions have a more efficient system for checking this.
Here, there is a way to reclaim overpaid prescription charges, involving copies of this, that and the other, really complicated and inconvenient; the authority probably hope people can't be bothered with the hassle!

Last edited by Neptuno; May 5th 2014 at 9:06 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 9:04 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
the way some on here tell it then it is expensive
but I have no complaints about my having to pay the 10%
the only complaint I have is that after 2 years of the same meds every month, even on a 6m prescription cycle there is always one that is "not in until tomorrow". This morning it was 2 of the 3.
You pay 10 percent because you are a pensioner, whereas the OPs will be 51 at the time of moving.

So I would presume that the 10% would not apply.
Old May 6th 2014, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can buy from the council buy it now, if you don't have kids, rent it for a year and the flog it, or carry on renting til you get short of a bit of cash.

to rent here just find a place that has been on the market for a long time and approach the owner, I know many people here renting for years in same place without issue, Not saying that will be the same in Mallorca though, It might be more sought after.

For me poor in a nice place is better.