Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Motorway Toll Law Passed

Motorway Toll Law Passed

Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Re: Motorway Toll Law Passed

Hi. Thanks but I don't see anywhere on that link reference or indication that it refers to bonnet height. The same criterion is is used for the trucks and they don't have bonnets. As John & Kath says axle height doesn't make sense either nor roof height. Very confusing. Is there a similar guide in Portuguese which we might see the original words used and then go to a dictionary?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Motorway Toll Law Passed

Originally Posted by DickieJarv
Hi guys, I think it might be the height from the ground to the bonnet at the front axle i.e. Class 1 is less than 1.10m, Class 2 more than 1.10m. I have a Grand Vitara 4x4 and it's 1.05m - when we get the ferry to the UK we are always in the same class as a standard car. Hope that helps.
We travel Brittany a lot and their criteria is the roof height including roof bars. We in the Sharan are under 1.8 m when we add the roof box we step up a class. But this axis beats me.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I decided to do a search of the older toll roads in Portugal and see if I could find classes of vehicles displayed on those websites as I guess the classes will be standard.

On http://www.multicard.eni.com/de_en/tolls-portugal you will see a table split into the 4 classes and you will see in the table heading 'Vehicle height from first axle'. In the text is is described:

The applicable tariff per kilometer depends on the vehicle category (four classes) which is defined by two criteria: the vehicle height measured vertically as from first axle, and the total number of axles.

Not an official site but pretty QED I think.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

DickieJarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
I decided to do a search of the older toll roads in Portugal and see if I could find classes of vehicles displayed on those websites as I guess the classes will be standard.

On http://www.multicard.eni.com/de_en/tolls-portugal you will see a table split into the 4 classes and you will see in the table heading 'Vehicle height from first axle'. In the text is is described:

The applicable tariff per kilometer depends on the vehicle category (four classes) which is defined by two criteria: the vehicle height measured vertically as from first axle, and the total number of axles.

Hi guys just to clarify, I measured my car a la the diagram attached, is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails Motorway Toll Law Passed-vehicle-diagram.jpg  
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys just to clarify, I measured my car a la the diagram attached, is this correct?
No. My guess would be you need a horizontal line from front to back axle centers. Then a horizontal line to skim the highest point of the roof. The distance between those lines gives you the axis height in their definition. How in god in heavens name are you supposed to be able to measure that?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that but how we measure it who knows.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

My guess is from the axle to the highest point on the roof. I am just going to take the roofline height not the roof tent we have affixed on a permanent basis. If all wheels are the same size doesn't matter from which axle the measurement is taken.

I've got to pop round to our plot to check the battery charging so I'll take a tape measure with me and check it now.

Last edited by rafikiphoto; Dec 12th 2011 at 2:42 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
No. My guess would be you need a horizontal line from front to back axle centers. Then a horizontal line to skim the highest point of the roof. The distance between those lines gives you the axis height in their definition. How in god in heavens name are you supposed to be able to measure that?
According to the APCAP link it says "the vehicle height measured vertically as from first axle" isn't that what I've done? Until some Portuguese official tells me differently I'm going with Class 1.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's curious that a car towing a caravan is class 1 whereas a motor caravan is class 2 and then a motor caravan towing even a small trailer is class 3! Silly isn't it?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John & Kath
No doubt about my Defender. I just measured it. It's class 2: 1.60 from axle to roofline

So the strategy will be N125/N125 when collecting and A22/N125 when dropping off I think.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

My head hurts

I think I will now avoid the Algarve after my one illegal journey
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

No doubt about my Defender. I just measured it. It's class 2: 1.60 from axle to roofline

So the strategy will be N125/N125 when collecting and A22/N125 when dropping off I think.
Is this how you've measured it? As you say the class thing is all a bit bizarre, how will most people be able to determine these things especially if they are infrequent visitors?
Attached Thumbnails Motorway Toll Law Passed-vehicle-diagram-2.jpg  
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

What is the problem about paying 6 euros on the toll road? I pay around that on the AP7 from Valencia to Oliva. Quiet motorway with no lorries. Great.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is this how you've measured it? As you say the class thing is all a bit bizarre, how will most people be able to determine these things especially if they are infrequent visitors?
I think that is the one but I don't think you or I will get a choice they will have a standard list of height tables and will just look up your car on that and that's what you pay.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Apparently this was taken this morning at Boliqueime gantry!
Attached Thumbnails Motorway Toll Law Passed-boliqueime-gantry.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.