Mosquito's

Old Sep 23rd 2015, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mosquito's

Any real tips for keeping them at bay ? Like really something that actually works instead of the usual.

September is a nightmare.

I'm being terrorised 😫

I honestly think I must taste great 😄

The flies aswell during the day they just do not give up do they.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 9:45 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquito's

Hola

Apart from the usual ones from the supermarket, try Halley from the chemist or Skin so Soft from Avon. It all depends on your type of skin !!!

Davexf
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Apart from the usual ones from the supermarket, try Halley from the chemist or Skin so Soft from Avon. It all depends on your type of skin !!!

Davexf
Bought Halley from the chemist today 10€ done nothing.

Wish I would just get left alone they seem to keep biting me around my joints and they swell up pretty badly sometimes.

Really wish there was something that had sturn proof.

Fumigating the room with insect killer then keeping window and bedroom shut works but breathing that stuff in on your bedding can't be good for you.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 8:57 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Eliminate any areas of stagnant water where they can breed, inside and outside the house and anywhere close to your property.
These could include anything from buckets of unused water to unused swimming pools and water depositories.
As long as they are breeding in your vicinity you will continue to be fighting a losing battle.

As far as personal protection is concerned products containing Deet are generally believed to be the best, however they all have a very limited period of effectiveness, usually less than an hour and much less than that if you are sweating.

One idea I had to get a peaceful night seemed to work reasonably well.
I leave a light on in the bathroom and some water in the washbasin.
Most of them are attracted to that and settle on the big mirror between the light and the basin and then can easily be eliminated.

Also a fan blowing moving air across the bed helps a lot providing it doesn't disturb you.

Oh and eat lots of garlic.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Sep 24th 2015 at 9:11 am. Reason: Add on
Old Sep 24th 2015, 9:39 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Skin so Soft works for me and keep the windows closed.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 9:47 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My Italian friend who gets big blisters from mosquito bites swears by dotting drops of essential oil of geranium onto her skin and rubbing it in.

As for flies, September in Italy seems to be the month when they all start coming inside as it gets cooler outside. I know they're as ugly as sin but those rolls of sticky fly catcher tape are cheap and the only things that really work. I hang one from the kitchen light and take it down and put it in the bin if friends are coming. Once they've left I put another up. They catch all the flies and sometimes other stuff.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Halley to great effect. When I moved here the sand flies loved me NOT anymore Halley works using it first thing in the morning on all skin open to the air and reapply twice during day. Twice before I found Halley, I nearly had to go to A & E as the area swells ( almost right round my arm once) and is very painful. I always have some Forever Living Aloe Vera Gelly which is magic for any bites scratches etc. If a mosquito gets me it is like a pin head and seldom bothers me at all.

An antihistamine tablet will ease any bites if you can take them. For the flies you need to have mint or rosemary help keep the flies etc away. A tea bag full of dry bail leaves also works apparently.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 11:49 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Bought Halley from the chemist today 10€ done nothing.

Wish I would just get left alone they seem to keep biting me around my joints and they swell up pretty badly sometimes.

Really wish there was something that had sturn proof.

Fumigating the room with insect killer then keeping window and bedroom shut works but breathing that stuff in on your bedding can't be good for you.
If there any around my area they make me a target (it seems)
I use that Delphi product in the orange spray bottle from Mercadona and remain bite free & I also used the roll on from Aldi (noes not smell very nice though) and that was good, they had that in stock again recently.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some useful tips here thanks a lot guys 😃👍

Definitely keeping windows shut from now on when I go out and definitely agree with the stagnant water thing have heard that in the past they lay there larvae in water don't they ?

That Halley didn't work at all for me I spent 10€ yesterday morning on it and iv got less than half a bottle left.

Hoping over the next day or two now I notice the difference.

As for those bleeding sand flies it's those that keep landing on me none stop through out the day and they are blatantly biting me I don't understand what they get out if it ? They ain't feeding on blood like
Mosquitos are they ? I sometimes watch them pitch up staring at me rubbing there two front arms/legs together then take there opportunity land on me, bite me and I'm constantly slapping my self 😂

Apparently they have a life span of three days.

I wish they never had a life span at all, vile creatures!!
Old Sep 24th 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Ikea mosquito net.Have to get one from the UK they don't list them in Spain.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 3:07 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

They say the more you get bitten you will eventually build up a resistance to the bite but that didn't seem to work for me as any bite still results in large red lumps the size of plates.

The only product that works for me is Mosquito milk. I buy it in the UK as I've not seen it here. Chemist direct sell it
and I think they deliver to Spain. Maybe available from Amazon etc? I see one of the ingredients is geranium oil. The good thing about it is that you don't need to smother yourself in it and it doesn't smell horrible.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

10 Natural ways to avoid mosquitoes this summer | News at the Amelia Island Mosquito Control District of Nassau County, FL

Ten good tips including building a Bathouse !
Old Sep 24th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Any real tips for keeping them at bay ? Like really something that actually works instead of the usual.

September is a nightmare.

I'm being terrorised 😫

I honestly think I must taste great 😄

The flies aswell during the day they just do not give up do they.
Try a Marmite Drink , the Mozzzies do not like yeast, if you can't get holds of Marmite try somehow to get an intake of yeast into your system from another source.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My Italian friend who gets big blisters from mosquito bites swears by dotting drops of essential oil of geranium onto her skin and rubbing it in.

As for flies, September in Italy seems to be the month when they all start coming inside as it gets cooler outside. I know they're as ugly as sin but those rolls of sticky fly catcher tape are cheap and the only things that really work. I hang one from the kitchen light and take it down and put it in the bin if friends are coming. Once they've left I put another up. They catch all the flies and sometimes other stuff.
Oh, be still my beating heart! Forget the Mosquitoes, pass me the Italian with the big blisters!

Whoops, forgot the Asbo!
Old Sep 26th 2015, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Orangegrove is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil spray, the lemon baby cologne, various other products, none really deter the little blighters. Be care with the dry oil, get it near the underside of your feet & you go sliding across tiled floors. Once bitten use this great gadget which I bought to bring here on holiday. ZAP IT MOSQUITO ITCH BITE INSTANT QUICK AND EASY SWELLING RELIEF TRAVEL GADGET | eBay Other than that I've bought a 30 gr tube of Neosayomol cream on recommendation of the chemist 6.85€