Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are mosquitoes in Esuri a problem?

Are mosquitoes in Esuri a problem?

Old May 18th 2014, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Ramon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are mosquitoes in Esuri a problem?

Being highly susceptible to bug bites (they love my blood) I should consider, before going to live in Esuri wether they are present there.
Have been told that is the case, I would like to now if it is limited to some manzanas or areas or they are all over the place. Many thanks !.
Old May 18th 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are mosquitoes in Esuri a problem?

Originally Posted by Ramon
Being highly susceptible to bug bites (they love my blood) I should consider, before going to live in Esuri wether they are present there.
Have been told that is the case, I would like to now if it is limited to some manzanas or areas or they are all over the place. Many thanks !.
They are all around the local area Esuri Isla Canela and Ayamonte
Old May 18th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

With twice daily spray of all uncovered areas with Halley spray I get very few if any bites where I am but up in Esuri they get me unless I keep spraying it on. Once bitten I find repeated use of a certain brand of aloe vera gelly saves them developing into real nasty, sore bites. They are evil up there
Old May 18th 2014, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you friend, this all reinforces the idea of staying inAyamonte
Old May 18th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you friend, this all reinforces the idea of staying inAyamonte
Although the only time I got badly bitten was in Laguna Square!
Mosquitos will be a problem wherever there is still or stagnant water - much more likely near the river! Most of the urbs on Costa Esuri have a mosquitos spraying program so as long as you take sensible precautions - ie use a repellent if you are particularly sensitive, use mosquito blinds in the house and maybe use citronella candles then mosquitos are not a problem on Costa Esuri.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Although the only time I got badly bitten was in Laguna Square!
Mosquitos will be a problem wherever there is still or stagnant water - much more likely near the river! Most of the urbs on Costa Esuri have a mosquitos spraying program so as long as you take sensible precautions - ie use a repellent if you are particularly sensitive, use mosquito blinds in the house and maybe use citronella candles then mosquitos are not a problem on Costa Esuri.
Same here sitting having dinner at le puerto ancho and all of a sudden they were everywhere.everyone dived inside .Its only the females that bite apparently .There's a moral there somewhere but I can't think what it is.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Same here sitting having dinner at le puerto ancho and all of a sudden they were everywhere.everyone dived inside .Its only the females that bite apparently .There's a moral there somewhere but I can't think what it is.
"The female of the species is more deadly than the male" [That's a quote so don't flame me]
The males are the ones that buzz, so if you hear a mozzie then its OK. The females need mammalian blood to nourish their eggs - which they lay in still or stagnant water - so they track warm mammals (ie us!) by the CO2 emissions we make. So one way to avoid being stung is to stop breathing
Old May 19th 2014, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Alylovestoholiday is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been visiting Isla/punta del moral now for about 8 years and last year is the only year I have been bitten. They were out in force. I bought some local products but I was a bit late.
I have a question, am I better buying the local deterrents or can I bring stuff from home?
Old May 19th 2014, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

!Hola Ramon! Bienvenido and welcome,

I would say the mosquitoes are all over the place. Have a look at google maps and you will see the many esteros, arroyos, and marismas surrounding Ayamonte and Costa Esuri.
Do the Atlantic Ocean and Guadiana River breezes help to blow some of them away? I don't know, but both are .
I do know, however, that people smell very nice here. Nenuco, Halley espray, Avon SkinSoSoft...however, not so nice are those who apply Marmite. (Read the label. It is not a fake tan lotion.)
Old May 19th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carol&John
!Hola Ramon! Bienvenido and welcome,

I would say the mosquitoes are all over the place. Have a look at google maps and you will see the many esteros, arroyos, and marismas surrounding Ayamonte and Costa Esuri.
Do the Atlantic Ocean and Guadiana River breezes help to blow some of them away? I don't know, but both are .
I do know, however, that people smell very nice here. Nenuco, Halley espray, Avon SkinSoSoft...however, not so nice are those who apply Marmite. (Read the label. It is not a fake tan lotion.)
Hi Carol, you are right Mozzies are all over the place its just that some places are worse than others. Our gardeners on Marina Esuri spray the surrounding area but at VV you'll be eaten alive if you don't spray yourself. I'm not happy with some products as I prefer something a bit more natural (e.g Boots Repel Once) & I also make sure I get a daily helping of Marmite on tostada It is said that if the wind strength is over 17kph that they don't come out so I have this vision of a little mosquito casa with an anemometer on the roof terrace
Old May 19th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Shhhh! Where there be anemometers, there be wind turbines!

Mosquitoes also like to come out at night. So, from sundown onwards, change into long trousers. Please!
Wear a shirt and, for heaven's sake, comb your hair!
Nag,nag,nag...
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Has anybody tried eucalyptus oil ? supposed to be great to repel. Also basil and clover oils.
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

You also need to be aware of the little black midges - which seem to have a worse bite than the mozzies (particularly bad on the terrace of the old Golf Course in the evenings). Also the sand flies at the beach can leave you scratching for ages.
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Sand flies ..Danger time May till September. Biting midges are commonly called sand flies.

http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/environ/vector/sandfly.htm

http://www.byron.nsw.gov.au/protect-...ges-sand-flies
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hate the buggers !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.