Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mortgage exchange ?

Mortgage exchange ?

Old May 21st 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future
Default Mortgage exchange ?

Hi-
Does anyone know if its possible to move a UK mortgage from a UK property
To a new Spanish property?
Eg- English couple would like to exchange my Spanish property for a UK property
They have a mortgage of about 300k Spanish property valued around 400k
No mortgage.
Anyone any idea’s ?
Thanks.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage exchange ?

I think that is very unlikely as the mortgage laws in Spain are very different and all mortgages have to be entered on a special escritura and registered on the land registry.

Within Spain it is possible to do that but a UK/Spanish transfer could be difficult. The first people to talk to are the UK lender.
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:17 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think that is very unlikely as the mortgage laws in Spain are very different and all mortgages have to be entered on a special escritura and registered on the land registry.

Within Spain it is possible to do that but a UK/Spanish transfer could be difficult. The first people to talk to are the UK lender.

When we were looking at mortgages to buy Spain a year or so ago (just before the crisis), our UK bank HSBC, with whom we had a mortgage said they wouldnt lend on foreign properties as it was too difficult to manage, eventho my husband works in the UK - Apparently it was too difficult to do the surveys and assessments that UK banks require!? And of course if they need to reposess.......

My guess is that you'll need a spanish mortgage to pay your UK one off

Jo xxx
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

A decent broker in spain ought to be able to arrange a spanish mortgage for them and they use those funds to pay off UK mortgage.