Mopeds

Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:50 am
Just Joined

elisabeth1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mopeds

Hi

I am moving to Spain and have held a full Uk driving licence for 2 months. I would like to buy a basic moped. I heard I must have had a licence for 1 year. Is this true as I will be converting my licence to Spanish and taking Spanish residency? Any help most grateful.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mopeds

Originally Posted by elisabeth1
Hi

I am moving to Spain and have held a full Uk driving licence for 2 months. I would like to buy a basic moped. I heard I must have had a licence for 1 year. Is this true as I will be converting my licence to Spanish and taking Spanish residency? Any help most grateful.
Your licence is only valid if you are over 18 in Spain.
If you have a 250 moped I think you need to have held the car licence for 6 years, but smaller you may be ok.
The age limit used to be 14 to drive a moped but has just gone up, the kids take like a proficiency test to be allowed to drive, do you speak Spanish ?

Do a search this forum as this has been covered lots of times. ;-)
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elisabeth1
Hi

Originally Posted by jdr
Your licence is only valid if you are over 18 in Spain.
If you have a 250 moped I think you need to have held the car licence for 6 years, but smaller you may be ok.
The age limit used to be 14 to drive a moped but has just gone up, the kids take like a proficiency test to be allowed to drive, do you speak Spanish ?

Do a search this forum as this has been covered lots of times. ;-)
it hasn't gone up yet jdr, for a 50cc

at the moment (until sept 2010) you can take a moped test at the age of 14 I know, because my now 13 year old is delighted that she'll get in before the law changes

I don't know if this is right - but if you are converting your full licence to a spanish one, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to ride a moped on that licence

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, though
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it hasn't gone up yet jdr, for a 50cc

at the moment (until sept 2010) you can take a moped test at the age of 14 I know, because my now 13 year old is delighted that she'll get in before the law changes

I don't know if this is right - but if you are converting your full licence to a spanish one, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to ride a moped on that licence

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, though
Yeah she will probably be ok on a 50cc with her licence, ok if you don`t live in the mountains. ;-)).
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Mopeds

Thanks guys. Im over 18 so hopefully will be ok. Thanks for the help :-)
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a UK car licence you can drive a moped in Spain. If fact, in Spain, moped licences are cancelled when you get a proper licence.

There is no minimum time requirement.

If you wish to drive a scooter/motorbike up to 125cc you can do this on a car licence but you must have held it for 3 years.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Fred, thats a relief, didn't fancy a push-bike in the sun :-)
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:33 am
Just Joined

johnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you have a UK car licence you can drive a moped in Spain. If fact, in Spain, moped licences are cancelled when you get a proper licence.

There is no minimum time requirement.

If you wish to drive a scooter/motorbike up to 125cc you can do this on a car licence but you must have held it for 3 years.
Lots of people mix mopeds and scooters up without realising there is a difference, so to expand on your post and put it into context:
Moped
  • Looks like a bicycle
  • Has bicycle pedals to start the engine
  • Looks pretty ridiculous
  • Has a maximum engine size (displacement) of 49cc
Typical moped
Example: the vehicle Peter Parker delivers pizzas with in Spiderman.

Scooter
  • Is what many people think of when they read/say 'mopeds'
  • Doesn't look so ridiculous
  • Has no pedals
  • Engine size goes from 49cc-600cc depending on model
Typical scooter
Example: the original Vespa.

What this means is you can buy and ride a <50cc bike (in Spanish this type of vehicle is called a 'ciclomotor') as soon as you hold a driving licence. It can be either a moped or a scooter.

Note: I think in English 'moped' also has a separate definition equivalent to the Spanish 'ciclomotor', i.e. any vehicle with <50cc displacement.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, please don't interfere with the silencer.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnycakes
Note: I think in English 'moped' also has a separate definition equivalent to the Spanish 'ciclomotor', i.e. any vehicle with <50cc displacement.
I believe a MOPED in uk refers to a motorcycle of less than 50cc designed / limited to 30 mph / 50 kph.

These days the limiter is usually an electronic device which is easily fiddled with
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HBG
How do they get away with it? You would have thought they would fail their ITV inspections.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:31 am
Just Joined

johnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nicejohnnycakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG
You mean to say that putting a 75cc piston and lightweight bearings and bigger carburetor and racing air filter and a race exhaust isn't a good idea? You crazy, mang. vr vr vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom *farts in tin can* *rides off into the sunset*.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I believe a MOPED in uk refers to a motorcycle of less than 50cc designed / limited to 30 mph / 50 kph.

These days the limiter is usually an electronic device which is easily fiddled with
Yeah, I meant any two wheeled vehicle, oops. Moped is an ambiguous word

Originally Posted by Sharon B
How do they get away with it? You would have thought they would fail their ITV inspections.
Up until March this year there was no ITV for ciclomotores. Even now all you need is an afternoon before the ITV to make it street legal, and another afternoon after the ITV to put it back. Also the law is being put into effect in stages based on the last three letters of registration plates, so until October or thereabouts there will be bikes exempt of ITV.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know of a beaten up 125 for sale near Gandia.Might as well get it pre-bashed as a week parking in Gandia would see it that way anyway.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:57 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Anyone know of a beaten up 125 for sale near Gandia.Might as well get it pre-bashed as a week parking in Gandia would see it that way anyway.
You are not likely to have it more than a week if you park it in Gandia
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
You are not likely to have it more than a week if you park it in Gandia
Nah I'll be OK I live in the posh part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.