Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Monte Rei - what to do in the evening

Monte Rei - what to do in the evening

Old May 30th 2017, 5:01 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monte Rei - what to do in the evening

Hi
Originally Posted by AndyS
Hi, a group of golfers are going to spend three nights at Monte Rei in October. I've been tasked to come up with ideas for what to do in the evenings!! I've explained to everyone it's pretty remote but these guys are keen to do something lively (last years venue was Vale do Lobo, which set an entertainment standard!!).
We will need to be within taxi range of likely venues, so any ideas please?
Thanks
Andy
Sounds like you had a lot of F-U-N last year. This year may be a tad less crazy, as there are less 'wild options' at this end. But as you are in a crowd of mates you will have and make your own fun.

One thing to consider is that most restos will gladly do a special menu for a group. I forget the name but EsuriJohn knows a resto v close to Monte rei with (for example) a great mixed grill meat feast.

Pao Quente in Sao Bartolomeo will do most anything if you order in advance, and in fact the menu itself doesn't reveal the choices. We had wild boar Feijoada for example. After we had drinks at the wonderful clifftop bar at Praia Verse, Guarita just down the road. I dont know if Guarita will open late though - worth checking in advance. Of course the panoramico resto will have great views. However I find the food variable, but what views! Pre reserve the best table and you will make a great evening.

The Tasca Medieval in C Marim will do a great special as well. Their cataplanas are great.

It's kind of nice to 'take over' a resto with a group of friends.

Catequiero (sp) in VRSA is a good fish resto, but Fridays is suckling pig. As a thought, you could try and preorder one, and have a whole one for the group. Pao Quente may also do it ( on any day in either one with a pre order.)

I can imagine you ending up in Ayamonte, VRSA, M Gordo, Cabanas or Tavira. Here you should get some late night drinks. The bar behind Laguna sq will open v late, and I think Topix opens late at weekends. If you are in a group of blokes, then of course the Number 1 club in the poligono could be a laugh, and probably open late. I haven't been, but I would go with a group, as I am curious about it, and suspect it isnt as sleazy as some suppose.

A good curry night at our fave Indian resto Maharajah Patiala MG, would be fun. And though I hate to give them competition there is a new Nepalese resto next door to MG post office, which does Thali (hard to find even in the UK), we havent tried it yet, but it was packed out one Saturday night.

Also in MG Osaka Japanese resto. Only 15€ all you can eat, freshly cooked to order. (12€ at lunch) About 20+ sushis, but also 20+ other great choices meat, fish, rices, noodles etc for those who don't like sushi. Good house wine 6.50€ a bottle! I reckon there are about 60+ choices, so all apetites and hunger are easily catered for. A good blow out with the friends, followed by drinks in one of the many bars.

O tapas MG would have a good buzz as well. If you go for the mariscada (shellfish blowout) wear elasticated trousers!!

Ive suggested MG mostly as it probably is the easiest place with choices all around, eg PV and VRSA nearby.

Whatever FUN is guaranteed!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 30th 2017 at 5:51 am.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice
Default Re: Monte Rei - what to do in the evening

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

Sounds like you had a lot of F-U-N last year. This year may be a tad less crazy, as there are less 'wild options' at this end. But as you are in a crowd of mates you will have and make your own fun.

One thing to consider is that most restos will gladly do a special menu for a group. I forget the name but EsuriJohn knows a resto v close to Monte rei with (for example) a great mixed grill meat feast.

Pao Quente in Sao Bartolomeo will do most anything if you order in advance, and in fact the menu itself doesn't reveal the choices. We had wild boar Feijoada for example. After we had drinks at the wonderful clifftop bar at Praia Verse, Guarita just down the road. I dont know if Guarita will open late though - worth checking in advance. Of course the panoramico resto will have great views. However I find the food variable, but what views! Pre reserve the best table and you will make a great evening.

The Tasca Medieval in C Marim will do a great special as well. Their cataplanas are great.

It's kind of nice to 'take over' a resto with a group of friends.

Catequiero (sp) in VRSA is a good fish resto, but Fridays is suckling pig. As a thought, you could try and preorder one, and have a whole one for the group. Pao Quente may also do it ( on any day in either one with a pre order.)

I can imagine you ending up in Ayamonte, VRSA, M Gordo, Cabanas or Tavira. Here you should get some late night drinks. The bar behind Laguna sq will open v late, and I think Topix opens late at weekends. If you are in a group of blokes, then of course the Number 1 club in the poligono could be a laugh, and probably open late. I haven't been, but I would go with a group, as I am curious about it, and suspect it isnt as sleazy as some suppose.

A good curry night at our fave Indian resto Maharajah Patiala MG, would be fun. And though I hate to give them competition there is a new Nepalese resto next door to MG post office, which does Thali (hard to find even in the UK), we havent tried it yet, but it was packed out one Saturday night.

Also in MG Osaka Japanese resto. Only 15€ all you can eat, freshly cooked to order. (12€ at lunch) About 20+ sushis, but also 20+ other great choices meat, fish, rices, noodles etc for those who don't like sushi. Good house wine 6.50€ a bottle! I reckon there are about 60+ choices, so all apetites and hunger are easily catered for. A good blow out with the friends, followed by drinks in one of the many bars.

O tapas MG would have a good buzz as well. If you go for the mariscada (shellfish blowout) wear elasticated trousers!!

Ive suggested MG mostly as it probably is the easiest place with choices all around, eg PV and VRSA nearby.

Whatever FUN is guaranteed!

Jon
Thanks Jon, loads of info to take on board and share with the guys.
Andy