Mobiles

Old May 11th 2013, 10:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobiles

I do not need a mobile under normal circumstances but last week when I returned to my car I had a puncture and it hit home to me that I could do with one for emergencies such as this.

So basically I am asking all of you experts who know the different types of phones and providers to provide me with information on my best option because obviously I do not want to waste my pension on something that is really only there as an unwanted necessity. I have a landline with Movistar so does anyone know whether it would be worth discussing this with them? I am wary of the hard sell so do not want to start asking different providers hence me asking for your input.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2013, 11:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobiles

If all you want is a phone for emergency calls then go to your local phone shop or counter in the Hypermarket and ask for the cheapest prepay phone.

You should get one for less than €20 including at least €10 of calls - might even be cheaper.

Now if you want a smartphone it gets much more complicated!
Old May 11th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If all you want is a phone for emergency calls then go to your local phone shop or counter in the Hypermarket and ask for the cheapest prepay phone.

You should get one for less than €20 including at least €10 of calls - might even be cheaper.

Now if you want a smartphone it gets much more complicated!
That's all I have (a Vodafone PAYG, but I think all the suppliers are much of a muchness) and it's perfectly adequate for what I want, very occasional use only. No need to get tied into a contract which can be a nightmare to get out of, and I top mine up at the ATM with €5 at a time which lasts for ages.
Old May 11th 2013, 2:39 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Graham and I had Orange PAYG´s when he was in hospital so much but they stopped working and I thought that these types of phone were no longer available. Obviously I go around with my eyes shut!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2013, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

If you already have an Orange phone, you could as Fred says check out the Supermarkets for a cheap PAYG sim card which operates on Orange or the likes of Masmovil that do likewise.
Old May 11th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

mm. I have managed without one for eight years. Then it kept being "ceased" from lack of use and the credit was lost (i.e. stolen).

So my question is what is the best minimum usage option on these cheap pre pay basic mobiles please.?
Old May 11th 2013, 5:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
mm. I have managed without one for eight years. Then it kept being "ceased" from lack of use and the credit was lost (i.e. stolen).

So my question is what is the best minimum usage option on these cheap pre pay basic mobiles please.?
No, the credit wasn't "stolen". You bought a product which expired after 6 months - if you chose not to use the product that is your choice.

Most providers offer a six month option where you must credit your account with a minimum of €5 every six months.

As there are no other charges involved and they almost give you the phone then if €10 a year for the convenience of having a 24/7 communication device is too much for you then perhaps you should buy a book of postage stamps.
Old May 11th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

No, the credit wasn't "stolen". You bought a product which expired after 6 months - if you chose not to use the product that is your choice.

Most providers offer a six month option where you must credit your account with a minimum of €5 every six months.

As there are no other charges involved and they almost give you the phone then if €10 a year for the convenience of having a 24/7 communication device is too much for you then perhaps you should buy a book of postage stamps.
My UK one (also a Vodafone PAYG) requires that I make a chargeable call on it at least every 6 months, rather than needing to be topped up, in order for it to stay active, so maybe some of the Spanish ones do also. You just need to read the small print on the instruction booklet that comes with the phone - and then remember to do whatever it says!
Old May 11th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Fred - it is the principle I object to. I actually have a very nice 3G phone on the three network for use in the UK. It was the first UK company to offer a phone that supported Skype. I keep that alive with a very short call as per the schedule since and I am still on the original £10 plus £20 for the phone. The Skype functionality is extraordinarily useful on visits to the UK.

I do not text, phone or receive calls like they are going out of fashion. I have managed here without one for years since my credit was debited.

So as LynnR asks "are there any Spanish providers that require that I make a chargeable call on it at least every 6 months, rather than needing to be topped up, in order for it to stay active"?
Old May 11th 2013, 6:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Fred - it is the principle I object to. I actually have a very nice 3G phone on the three network for use in the UK. It was the first UK company to offer a phone that supported Skype. I keep that alive with a very short call as per the schedule since and I am still on the original £10 plus £20 for the phone. The Skype functionality is extraordinarily useful on visits to the UK.

I do not text, phone or receive calls like they are going out of fashion. I have managed here without one for years since my credit was debited.

So as LynnR asks "are there any Spanish providers that require that I make a chargeable call on it at least every 6 months, rather than needing to be topped up, in order for it to stay active"?
IIRC this started after ETA bombings a few years ago.
it was proved that mobiles bought more than 6m before the incident were used to set off explosions.

I can't see why it is so difficult to prove it is a "needed" phone. On the odd occasion I can't remember where I have left my Sp mob so I give it a quick ring on my UK mob and follow the ringing.
The reverse could apply.

Anti-terrorism is based on mobiles that have been used and have no call record, hence the quickness to cut it off.
I know a couple of Spanish who have had a mobile cut off, they were fuming, but had to admit they were living together now and therefore didnt need to keep phoning each other
Old May 11th 2013, 6:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

for once I have to agree with your line on this
Old May 11th 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I do not need a mobile under normal circumstances but last week when I returned to my car I had a puncture and it hit home to me that I could do with one for emergencies such as this.

So basically I am asking all of you experts who know the different types of phones and providers to provide me with information on my best option because obviously I do not want to waste my pension on something that is really only there as an unwanted necessity. I have a landline with Movistar so does anyone know whether it would be worth discussing this with them? I am wary of the hard sell so do not want to start asking different providers hence me asking for your input.

Rosemary
Rosemary, as Fred says, it is relatively easy. There are a number of options around where even the mighty Movistar along with others now offer a phone for pensionista's. They usually have restricted capability, such as phone and text, nothing fancy but usually have large buttons/characters.
Doro make a good range of basic phones with special facilities for the hard of hearing, large numbers on screen and keys etc
But a young chicken like you probably won't want one of those for some time yet.

As and when you are able why not visit the major's stores and just pickup their glossy brochure for the month and see what it is you like. There seems to be a move by all of them to target the older person - assuming that because we may be in our 60's we know nothing about mobiles, communications, internet, connectivity and all the other buzz words.

I was involved in comms back in the 1960's - do they think it all started out of nowhere a couple of months ago ?? Funny how so much HASN'T changed, only the attitudes of the young. (or has it?)
Old May 11th 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Domino
Rosemary, as Fred says, it is relatively easy. There are a number of options around where even the mighty Movistar along with others now offer a phone for pensionista's. They usually have restricted capability, such as phone and text, nothing fancy but usually have large buttons/characters.
Doro make a good range of basic phones with special facilities for the hard of hearing, large numbers on screen and keys etc
But a young chicken like you probably won't want one of those for some time yet.

As and when you are able why not visit the major's stores and just pickup their glossy brochure for the month and see what it is you like. There seems to be a move by all of them to target the older person - assuming that because we may be in our 60's we know nothing about mobiles, communications, internet, connectivity and all the other buzz words.

I was involved in comms back in the 1960's - do they think it all started out of nowhere a couple of months ago ?? Funny how so much HASN'T changed, only the attitudes of the young. (or has it?)
Thanks for making me giggle, not often that happens. Have had a few mobiles, but never made use of them though, find their existence too intrusive in normal living. Old fashioned or old fart enough to think that if someone wants to talk to me they can when I return home and not when I am enjoying someone elses company. Hence only wanting one when it suits me, selfish.

Rosemary
Old May 12th 2013, 2:20 am

Basically no. It would not be economic to offer such a service bearing in mind that the market has moved almost exclusively to Smartphones with Internet access. That's where the money is as the facts are that making phone calls only represents about 10% of the average phones usage.

In fact the only growing market now for a basic phone is in third world countries.
Old May 12th 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Thanks for making me giggle, not often that happens. Have had a few mobiles, but never made use of them though, find their existence too intrusive in normal living. Old fashioned or old fart enough to think that if someone wants to talk to me they can when I return home and not when I am enjoying someone elses company. Hence only wanting one when it suits me, selfish.

Rosemary
Nah, not selfish Rosemary, just being yourself instead of being something people think they should be for their "friends" to gawk at in wonder

I lost mine a short while ago, have reverted to an old Nokia that I keep for emergencies. This was 2 or 3 years old when Blackberry's came out in 1999.
But it still works as a phone/text machine, the chip still fits. There are some things I would like to have but for the moment it does me well until I get back on the bandwagon.

Bling is fine, but for everyday use who needs to be over the top, all you will do is worry about it all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.