Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mobile Internet - is it possible???????

Mobile Internet - is it possible???????

Old May 24th 2008, 12:07 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Internet - is it possible???????

Hi all
When we come to Spain for the two years recci in our caravan - what do i do about internet access???????? I know there are internet cafes but not really into that would rather sort out sommat for us.
So with moving around - obviously we wont be able to have a line - so what other options are there available to us - now please remember i am just a simpleton so dont blind me with scienctific explanations
Thanks in advance
Love Sam xxxxx
Old May 24th 2008, 12:24 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile Internet - is it possible???????

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi all
When we come to Spain for the two years recci in our caravan - what do i do about internet access???????? I know there are internet cafes but not really into that would rather sort out sommat for us.
So with moving around - obviously we wont be able to have a line - so what other options are there available to us - now please remember i am just a simpleton so dont blind me with scienctific explanations
Thanks in advance
Love Sam xxxxx
Shouldnt this be in the Spain forum so it doesnt get hijacked?

Have a look at Vodafone I think they may do something, but not too sure!
Old May 24th 2008, 12:28 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Shouldnt this be in the Spain forum so it doesnt get hijacked?

Have a look at Vodafone I think they may do something, but not too sure!
very true SD - but i dont know many hijackers - does that happen on here then

Ok - not really thought about it till during the week when our server was down and i couldnt get online - cant cope without my daily fix of BE and facebook and i certainly couldnt live without msn

Love Sam xxx
Old May 24th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,
only real options are using a mobile provider like Vodafone or movistar or a Satellite link like me, but that's expensive.
Old May 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi all
Thanks in advance
Love Sam xxxxx
Orange, Vodafone and Movistar all offer the 3.5G modems that simply plug into your computer's USB port. You don't even need any software as it's normally all built-in to the device - works out of the box on both XP and Vista.

I have found Movistar 3G+ coverage to be better than the others, but YMMV if you're travelling around. Orange has the least coverage of the three main networks.

It's not quite broadband, because there can still be some latency (you click on something and it doesn't seem to respond right away), but it's pretty close. Outside of a 3G+ area, it'll fallback to GPRS speeds - around 45k in real terms - but still usable for basic surfing as long as you're not sending bags of photos by e-mail.

Tariffs vary, all can be bought on PAYG (Pay As You Go) where you might pay for the modem, but if you pay on a monthly contract it's cheaper both for the modem and the data cost.

You'll need an NIE number and a Spanish bank account to get a monthly contract, though.
Old May 24th 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

My boss has the Vodafone one - but has trouble with it constantly and I do know it is expensive.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:30 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SueG
My boss has the Vodafone one - but has trouble with it constantly and I do know it is expensive.
I just got rid of the vodaphone white 3G it was 49 euros a month for 1gig of downloads it was costing me some months 150 euros. I am now with Iberbanda much more hijacks to the euro and faster too.
Old May 24th 2008, 3:15 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Hi Sam,
only real options are using a mobile provider like Vodafone or movistar or a Satellite link like me, but that's expensive.
Hiya stranger - well ive suppose ive got a while yet to worry about where i get my fix from
Old May 24th 2008, 3:16 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by twyntub
Orange, Vodafone and Movistar all offer the 3.5G modems that simply plug into your computer's USB port. You don't even need any software as it's normally all built-in to the device - works out of the box on both XP and Vista.

I have found Movistar 3G+ coverage to be better than the others, but YMMV if you're travelling around. Orange has the least coverage of the three main networks.

It's not quite broadband, because there can still be some latency (you click on something and it doesn't seem to respond right away), but it's pretty close. Outside of a 3G+ area, it'll fallback to GPRS speeds - around 45k in real terms - but still usable for basic surfing as long as you're not sending bags of photos by e-mail.

Tariffs vary, all can be bought on PAYG (Pay As You Go) where you might pay for the modem, but if you pay on a monthly contract it's cheaper both for the modem and the data cost.

You'll need an NIE number and a Spanish bank account to get a monthly contract, though.

Thanks very much - yeh i was wondering about that too
Old May 24th 2008, 3:18 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by SueG

Hi Sue - hope your keeping well
We are on Orange over here and it is a nightmare at the moment - its hit and miss as to whether we can get online
Old May 24th 2008, 3:19 pm
Happy in my bubble

Well i think i will be onto you guys when we get over there for more info - love to you all and thanks a lot xxxxx
Old May 24th 2008, 5:32 pm
Banned

advent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Mobile Internet - is it possible???????

Hi sam,many wirless internet providers around in spain,i found the dutch companys the best,they installed a very small antena,cost 150euros for install plus 25euro month,worked fine for me.Have a good look around the net for the area your caravan is in,im sure youll find something.
Ps
Old May 24th 2008, 5:43 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by advent7006
Hi sam,many wirless internet providers around in spain,i found the dutch companys the best,they installed a very small antena,cost 150euros for install plus 25euro month,worked fine for me.Have a good look around the net for the area your caravan is in,im sure youll find something.
Ps
Hi chick
How you doin????? Will that work only in one place do you reckon or will be able to move about with it?????
We are hoping to spend sometime in Portugal and France as well - not sure how long but wherever the fancy takes us - if we get fed up we will just upsticks and move on - we cant wait now - hope to meet up for a drink somewhere when we are passing through if your around
Take care
Love Sam xxxxx
Old May 24th 2008, 5:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

as has been said Sam, I think your best bet is a mobile network, something like Orange or Vodafone, although I'm sure someone told me that Vodafone is the best bet.

Of course you could always do what we do, Lara has a Viewty and when we are out and about we just log onto a Wifi signal or straight onto the net with that.
Old May 24th 2008, 5:54 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
as has been said Sam, I think your best bet is a mobile network, something like Orange or Vodafone, although I'm sure someone told me that Vodafone is the best bet.
Hi Matt - ok chick - you enjoyed all the rugby today ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.