Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Minimum Legal Wage? (Hourly)

Minimum Legal Wage? (Hourly)

Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:13 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum Legal Wage? (Hourly)

Originally Posted by Fred James
This does not alter the fact that the SMI applies across the board and does not vary by job.

What you are describing are special arrangements made with the unions for a better deal.

Not every worker is in the position to take advantage of these deals and would have to rely on the SMI.

In reality the SMI is so low that no one could really live on it. The government wants to keep increasing it rather than keep coming near the bottom of the list where you compare state minimum wages across the EU.
e
Every legal worker is covered by the convenio of their profession. These pay scales are negotiated for all employees in the sector, and you dont have to belong to a union.
in the case of hairdressing it is the same for a big salon as a small one. The pay for the worker with the relevant skills, cannot drop below the agreed level.
Most "legal" workers are not legal, a lot of people working in bars, do not get sick pay, I think it is because they are not legit. Also when they leave they dont seem to sign on the dole.
Could it be that they cant.
I know that in Galicia, you can go to the INEM and ask to see the TC1 for your work place, that will tell you who is paying social security and if your employer is up to date with them. If all is in order you get the dole, 3 months for every year worked up to a maximum of 2 years.
At least it was when I was working, though things could have changed in the last couple of years.