Minimum income

Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

beachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum income

Originally Posted by dreamer55
I was reading that you need to have proof of income to register as resident in Spain; some sites suggest a minimum of 9k euros pa. I'm hoping to come over with a pension of approx 6k euro pa (at today's low exchange rate) and capital for a rainy day of 25k euro (from which healthcare will be paid). I'll own my house outright and my pension will rise considerably once my state pension kicks in (6 years). I'm confident that I can live on this income (and have done here in the UK for a couple of years) but my question is - will this satisfy the authorities as adequate means? If anyone has already been approved on this sort of income I'd be pleased to hear it. Thanks.
FYI - We have been doing some research of our own for our proposed long term stay in Spain and found a current document from one of the Spanish Consulates in Canada. One of their paragraphs addresses minimum income for non-EU individuals who cannot work, and it says:
Evidence of economic means sufficient to support your stay and, depending on the case, to support your family,during the stay length you are applying for, without working.
- For your support: 2,130.04€ per month.
- For the support of each member of your family: 532.51€ per month.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 2:27 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachseeker
- For your support: 2,130.04€ per month.
Assuming that figure would apply across the board, then for a soon to be non-EU UK pensioner that's the equivalent of net income of £23,000 pa. That would count quite a few out.

Bloody nora, in some parts of the country you could live like a King on that.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 2:56 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano
Assuming that figure would apply across the board, then for a soon to be non-EU UK pensioner that's the equivalent of net income of £23,000 pa. That would count quite a few out.

Bloody nora, in some parts of the country you could live like a King on that.
wonder how many thousands of spainish don't have that, never mind us.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Can see all the concerns of course. But whether the Spanish have that or not is not relevant, thats how much a non EU retirement visa application needs. I suppose there may be some form of concession for an existing Spanish home owner after Brexit, but again we shouldn't expect any special treatment after we leave vountarily!!! I think the last timeI looked (worse case planning!) we needed about 32000 euros! Compared to the 9000 for a couple currently, BIG difference.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan
wonder how many thousands of spainish don't have that, never mind us.
Sums up my point. Everybody seems to have a different idea.
When you are sat there, in front of a functionario who will not budge, there is not a lot you can do, except of course pay an awful lot for a good abogado and have them go instead.
Pete
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:43 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

The minimum income required is 25,560 Euros annually plus 6,390 Euros per each additional family member.

Thank you, Brexiteers.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are very different requirements for non EU immigrants. Spain can impose whatever rules they like regarding income and be very specific about what is required.

The rules regarding EU immigrants are laid down by EU law and part of that is that you CANNOT specify a specific amount as it will depend on individual circumstances. That is the reason that no one will quote an exact figure.

This thread is about the minimum requirement for EU citizens wishing to live in Spain. Discussion about the requirements for non EU immigrants is irrelevant and should be covered in a new thread specific to that situation, otherwise confusion will reign.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 4:09 pm
EU hoo

The UK has already proposed that only EU citizens having lived legally and continuously in the UK for a period of 5 years be granted permanent residence status.

The OP is planning early retirement in Spain, post Article 50 having been triggered. We don't know yet of course, but should that criteria be reciprocated by the EU, wouldn't non-EU qualification be relevant ? In a forewarned is forearmed kind of way ?

Last edited by iano; Aug 1st 2017 at 4:57 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano
The UK has already proposed that only EU citizens having lived legally and continuously in the UK for a period of 5 years be granted permanent residence status.

The OP is planning early retirement in Spain, post Article 50 having been triggered. We don't know yet of course, but should that criteria be reciprocated by the EU, wouldn't non-EU qualification be relevant ? In a forewarned is forearmed kind of way ?
The proposal (thats all it is remember!) also includes allowing EU citizens lawfully in the UK, but for less than the five years, permission to stay until they have attained the five years, anf then apply for settled status. Perhaps thats also up for reciprocation.

The rub is that no one has said what the cut off date is as yet! Article 50? Exit date? Who knows?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
The rub is that no one has said what the cut off date is as yet! Article 50? Exit date? Who knows?
I agree they have not said what that date is yet mind they haven't said much at all re the grand plan or non plan really. However from media it does seem that the UK has accepted that it will be the date we actually leave. Of course there is then the probability of a so called transitional period one minute that means freedom of movement is extended then it doesn't? So who knows.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

dreamer55 is an unknown quantity at this point

The minimum incomes quoted don't seem to take account of whether you own your home or not - that makes a huge difference in the income needed. For myself, I fortunately also have an Irish passport, so will remain European pr-Brexit, thankfully. Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, bobd22, just read your reply re. home ownership.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

And I will certainly use a gestor when the time comes!