Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Michelin Stars are out - Spain´s got talent

Michelin Stars are out - Spain´s got talent

Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice
Default Re: Michelin Stars are out - Spain´s got talent

God, id love it, if it was nearer and could afford it
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Looks great if you got more money than sense.

http://www.elbulli.com/catalogo/cata...milia=6&id=684

I`d prefer the local Venta.
I`m with you on that, if I went there I would need to stop for a steak on the way home. lol
No prices mentioned either, a starter is probably the same as our weekly food bill. ;-))
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
I`m with you on that, if I went there I would need to stop for a steak on the way home. lol
No prices mentioned either, a starter is probably the same as our weekly food bill. ;-))
I'm not so sure about having room for a steak on the way home. I seem to recall their "taster" menu had somewhere in the region of 27 courses.!

As for prices (again from memory when I telephoned about 3 years ago) I think it was something like 225 euros per head for the desgustacion mentioned above.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Well Arzak the average price is 125 Euro`s, he`s listed as 8th in the World.

Most of these resturants run a set menu, usually between 8-18 different taster dishes.

They only serve these dishes, the variety isn`t the same as say a Harvester.

Which basically means they no the number of clients well in advance and they cook the same food everyday for the year.

So its basical like you cooking a meal at home, you practice until you can cook it in your sleep, only then you start serving to your guests.

Most of these resturants although have excellent head chefs, most of the actual cooking is done by a lesser person of unknown fame.

Now you take one of these chefs and place him in front of 10 different ingridents and produce a dish once from scratch, then you`d get an idea who the best is.

The difference in the top 50 is basically size of resturant and business plan, Elbulli only excist`s because it wants the No1 spot.

Most of the others are interested in serving many clients, not the top end, Arzak only needs 2-3 days notice, Eibulli is fully booked for 2009.

Arzak lives to feed people, not to feed his ego.Many in the top 50 follow this rule.

Anybody who wants to eat at Elbulli frankly is wasting there money and is an idiot.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:08 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharon B

I do believe if its the restaurant run by Heston Blummenthal (The Fat Duck) it was recently closed for a period due to a serious bout of food poisoning!!!!
Now looking like a virus, since the kitchen was declared by the EHO as being "cleaner than a research lab" and since few of the 400 plus people who "claimed" to be ill ate anything similar, in fact some even said that they were still ill after about a month of eating there.................
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:40 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Maybe he bought in some dodgy food from Gordon Ramsey`s.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Maybe he bought in some dodgy food from Gordon Ramsey`s.
Not food related.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Now looking like a virus, since the kitchen was declared by the EHO as being "cleaner than a research lab" and since few of the 400 plus people who "claimed" to be ill ate anything similar, in fact some even said that they were still ill after about a month of eating there.................
I am feeling ill after reading this, can I still claim. lol
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Not food related.

Quite right - it was the Noro virus which is very common in the UK in winter.

It is the same virus that seems to regularly affect cruise ships.

Where Heston may get some stick in the report is that he allowed his staff to come back to work too early after getting the virus - which probably came from a customer!

As for El Bulli - it is not a meal out in the conventional sense - like the Fat Duck it is a "culinary and sensory experience". If you are lucky enough to be able to afford it and can get a reservation then go for it! It certainly doesn't make you an idiot!