Michel Thomas

Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of
Default Michel Thomas

I'm on the point of despair!

I am having too many senior moments I know but why oh why am I not a fluent Spanish speaker after the 10 to 11 hours listening to Mr T and the bright young woman and at times unbelievably slow young man.

Didn't do too bad until about lesson 6 but it was downhill all the way after that. How on earth could anyone of normal intelligence take it all in in the time Mr T says. When he gets to "I call it the w.ing tense" my wife and I just looked at each other with that "it can't be me, can it" stare that we last got listening to a Best of Prince album.

So, for anyone out there attempting to learn Spanish with Mr T or any other contender - here's confirmation - you are not thick (or!)

p.s. for those who think I seriously expected to learn in 10 or 11 hours - no I never did. At this rate though maybe I misheard and he meant years.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michel Thomas

Originally Posted by Justlookin
I'm on the point of despair!

I am having too many senior moments I know but why oh why am I not a fluent Spanish speaker after the 10 to 11 hours listening to Mr T and the bright young woman and at times unbelievably slow young man.

Didn't do too bad until about lesson 6 but it was downhill all the way after that. How on earth could anyone of normal intelligence take it all in in the time Mr T says. When he gets to "I call it the w.ing tense" my wife and I just looked at each other with that "it can't be me, can it" stare that we last got listening to a Best of Prince album.

So, for anyone out there attempting to learn Spanish with Mr T or any other contender - here's confirmation - you are not thick (or!)

p.s. for those who think I seriously expected to learn in 10 or 11 hours - no I never did. At this rate though maybe I misheard and he meant years.
no comment

actually I will

I have more problems with students who have used those tapes than with any others

so many bad habits to break & misunderstandings to correct!!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

I've used the Thomas tapes along with various other teach yourself books and discs.
He certainly has some rather odd methods but I think that the main thing with his tapes/discs are that he gives you confidence to use the little that you know, well he did with me. You'll probably speak Spanish unlike any Spaniard but you will be understood. The problem comes when the Spaniard responds to you as he can't teach you to understand what is said to you, if that makes sense?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
I've used the Thomas tapes along with various other teach yourself books and discs.
He certainly has some rather odd methods but I think that the main thing with his tapes/discs are that he gives you confidence to use the little that you know, well he did with me. You'll probably speak Spanish unlike any Spaniard but you will be understood. The problem comes when the Spaniard responds to you as he can't teach you to understand what is said to you, if that makes sense?
He sent me to sleep.
You`re right, for every question you need to ask, you need to learn at least two answers.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lynnxa
no comment

actually I will

I have more problems with students who have used those tapes than with any others

so many bad habits to break & misunderstandings to correct!!
My husband swears by him ... I, on the other hand, swear at him, and find him hard to understand even when he is speaking in English!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
My husband swears by him ... I, on the other hand, swear at him, and find him hard to understand even when he is speaking in English!
a woman after my own heart
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I tried night school in the UK, classes in Spain, tapes and CDs galore, text books by the dozen, etc and finally gave up.

Having given up, I still persisted going into Spanish places and watching Spanish TV and suddenly realised, much to my surprise, that I could speak and understand the language at quite a good level. I've got the Spanish news on now and understand most of it, especially the heat wave warning for tomorrow.

I don't know when the turning point came, it sort of crept up on me, but it did take a while.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HBG
I tried night school in the UK, classes in Spain, tapes and CDs galore, text books by the dozen, etc and finally gave up.

Having given up, I still persisted going into Spanish places and watching Spanish TV and suddenly realised, much to my surprise, that I could speak and understand the language at quite a good level. I've got the Spanish news on now and understand most of it, especially the heat wave warning for tomorrow.

I don't know when the turning point came, it sort of crept up on me, but it did take a while.
I look forward to that day. In fact I'm thinking of knocking Castillian Spanish on the head and concentrating on Catalan/Valenciano. It might serve me better.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:00 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to that day. In fact I'm thinking of knocking Castillian Spanish on the head and concentrating on Catalan/Valenciano. It might serve me better.
To be honest, were I going to a catalan area, I'd focus on that first, with a bit of Spanish as backup.

For me, very few tapes or CDs have ever proven worth the money.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bil
To be honest, were I going to a catalan area, I'd focus on that first, with a bit of Spanish as backup.

For me, very few tapes or CDs have ever proven worth the money.
There are plenty of teach yourself Catalan courses but I haven't found one for Valenciano. How different are they? Is it a case of a slightly different way of pronouncing things or is it more than that. ie. If I spoke Catalan in Valencia would I be understood?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

We will hopefully be visiting Els Poblets quite soon for just over 8 weeks and will try to avoid speaking to all the Germans who Mitzyboy says live there (kidding). We will continue with Mr T until we go and take the discs with us for more work in the day when not out and about.

Hopefully we will find a few Spaniards to speak to or at least attempt to reply to when spoken to. We will also try TV.

For extra punishment may also take the Linguaphone discs too.

As we will not be moving to Spain for more than a few months at a time this is the best we can do. No Spanish classes available locally I'm afraid.

Still, keeps the brain active - even if only in a confused state
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:22 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of teach yourself Catalan courses but I haven't found one for Valenciano. How different are they? Is it a case of a slightly different way of pronouncing things or is it more than that. ie. If I spoke Catalan in Valencia would I be understood?
In all honesty, I don't know. Catalan is an interesting mix (to me) of Italian and Spanish. If you read the history of the area you will see why.

How it varies from Valencian I don't know, but if asked to guess I'd assume dialectic drift as the language moved away from its core location.

The standing joke is that a language is a dialect with an army.

Read up on the subject and see just how much it varies, and whether or not it will merit the effort you will have to put into it. Catalan is IMO well worth learning in its heartland, but whether it would be worth bothering with in Valencia, only you can decide. I'd think that Valenciano in Valencia would be worth less than Calalan in Catalunya.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:24 am
bil
Banned

We will hopefully be visiting Els Poblets quite soon for just over 8 weeks and will try to avoid speaking to all the Germans who Mitzyboy says live there (kidding). We will continue with Mr T until we go and take the discs with us for more work in the day when not out and about.

Hopefully we will find a few Spaniards to speak to or at least attempt to reply to when spoken to. We will also try TV.

As we will not be moving to Spain for more than a few months at a time this is the best we can do. No Spanish classes available locally I'm afraid.

I found El Jueves a great help. It's a funny, slightly vulgar mag that takes the p*ss out of almost everything, and has articles and comic strips that range from easy to more advanced.

It's particularly useful for 'street Spanish' and more colloquial expressions.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:47 am
¿Dónde estoy?

if you're planning to stay in the area all well & good

a lot of Brits do find Valenciano easier to learn than Castellano
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

We have a place very near Els Poblets and although the Spaniards certainly speak Valenciano among themselves, it seems that any attempt by an English person to speak Spanish is well-received, and they will either reply in English or Castilian Spanish in my experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.