Reload this Page >

The Meridian Island of El Hierro

The Meridian Island of El Hierro

Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Hepa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Meridian Island of El Hierro

Hello España forum,

Saludos from the small remote Atlantic island of El Hierro. We are the most southerly and westerly part of Spanish territories. With 10,500 inhabitants, of which five are from England.

We are 75 miles and 75 years away from the Island of Tenerife. Secretly sleeping in the blue Atlantic Ocean.

Because of our remote location tourism has passed us by, there are no,"Yorkshire Pudding full English breakfast," establishments here, few tourists visit us and those that do find us come mainly for the scuba diving, and to walk the many Caminos Reales that traverse the island. Because of this we have retained our Canarian Culture and charm

El Hierro is known as the Meridian Isle, because this is where Ptolemy placed the original zero meridian, before those darned English stole it and placed it at Greenwich, the cads!

The island is 274 square kilometers, 1501 metres in altitude, with spectacular and diverse scenery, ranging from pine forests, to walled fields, and lush pineapple and banana plantations near the Ocean level. Not forgetting the arid lava fields of the south of the island, near to the most southerly town of La Restinga, where last year we had a volcanic eruption in Mar de las Calmas.

Should you wish to see more of the Meridian Isle, here is a link to a few photos we have taken.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1095542...eat=directlink

Hepa
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Meridian Island of El Hierro

Glad to see that you have posted here, I am sure a lot of people will be very interested in hearing about this remote place.

Rosemary
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums Hepa, and thanks for the introduction
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hepa
Hello España forum,

We are 75 miles and 75 years away from the Island of Tenerife. Secretly sleeping in the blue Atlantic Ocean.

Should you wish to see more of the Meridian Isle, here is a link to a few photos we have taken.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1095542...eat=directlink

Hepa
hi Hepa - nice to see you here

you might recognise a few of us
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Darn it I have been sussed already
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

well duh!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Yeh likewise, in fact you might even recognise me from your local bar in Valverde, El Hierro.
Nice to see you've moved to a proper forum anyway.
Just hope the excitement here isn't too much for you after all that peace and tranquility.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yeh likewise, in fact you might even recognise me from your local bar in Valverde, El Hierro.
Nice to see you've moved to a proper forum anyway.
Just hope the excitement here isn't too much for you after all that peace and tranquility.
No, you have lost me there,
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:26 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hepa

Well you didn't try too hard to disguise who you were did you (unlike some here).
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I recognise you too absolutely

Hi and
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Jimenato I know, but the others, I'm lost, please come out of the cupboard
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Best foot forward

OMG these images are stunning, what is that flower I love it ?

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Aug 27th 2012 at 1:23 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Best foot forward

OMG these images are stunning, what is that flower I love it ?
It is a cactus, the name I do not know, the flower lasts but one day, I inherited the plants when I bought the house many years ago. Boss Lady no doubt will know the name, but she is in the air at the moment returning from Tenerife.