Menorca

Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:19 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Menorca

Hi all, I've just been offered a good job in Menorca and am thinking of accepting it. I could do with some opinions on the island and where's cheap to rent. Looking forward to all replies.......comical and negative ones included......yes I know I may need to change my username.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Menorca

Ufff, no helpful comments, I don't know Menorca.

But I wouldn't mind betting that moving from Madrid to Menorca - big city to island - will be a bigger lifestyle change than moving from the UK to Spain in the first place.

Good luck!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:54 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Ufff, no helpful comments, I don't know Menorca.

But I wouldn't mind betting that moving from Madrid to Menorca - big city to island - will be a bigger lifestyle change than moving from the UK to Spain in the first place.

Good luck!
Valid point, we were talking about this just before I read your post. I'm a city person and my other half is more of a village person despite being from Madrid, could be interesting to see how I'd like it.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:31 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Valid point, we were talking about this just before I read your post. I'm a city person and my other half is more of a village person despite being from Madrid, could be interesting to see how I'd like it.
While you're here, could you give me a little feedback? I'm hoping to have a long weekend this Autumn in Madrid. I don't know whether to pre-book a place, or just ring around a few hotels/hostales when I arrive. Does it seem fairly busy still at weekends there?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Sum total of my knowledge of Menorca: the boat tour of Mahon (fascinating, sunny, large, not helped by taking a swig of cola from my OH's can only to find he'd stubbed a cig out in it) and LOVELY beaches. Would concur with other suggestions it might be the Madrid/Menorca issue rather than anything else. Just how does the good job offer compare with what/where/etc you've got now? Much to think on.... (does OH have a job to consider too?)
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:54 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a certain feeling of being trapped on a place like Menorca. In Madrid you can always drive to the mountains, get the cercanias to Avila or Alcala de Henares, or even get the fast train to Toledo or Valencia. What are the winter air services like in Menorca? I assume there are plenty in peak season.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:41 pm
Yaaarp

Well we made the plunge and have been here 1 month now and got to say we've both found it a fantastic place to live. Had some sleeping problems at first as it's sooo quiet but it's turned out to be perfect for both our jobs.
Amazed how cheap everything is, how friendly everyone is and even my new boss has asked us out for a drink next week.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:50 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Well we made the plunge and have been here 1 month now and got to say we've both found it a fantastic place to live. Had some sleeping problems at first as it's sooo quiet but it's turned out to be perfect for both our jobs.
Amazed how cheap everything is, how friendly everyone is and even my new boss has asked us out for a drink next week.
Good to hear it's worked out well
Keep quiet about the good things tho - otherwise a couple of the Spain-knockers will be along to accuse you of making it all up
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Without being too inquisitive, what type of jobs are there in Menorca?

And won't it be just way too quiet in the winter?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:05 pm
Yaaarp

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Good to hear it's worked out well
Keep quiet about the good things tho - otherwise a couple of the Spain-knockers will be along to accuse you of making it all up
oops, must have been half asleep when I wrote that.....it's terrible nobody would want to come here

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Without being too inquisitive, what type of jobs are there in Menorca?

TBH I don't really know what the typical jobs are here, I work as a printer printing La Ultima Hora (amongst other things) and OH works on TV & radio but I'm guessing many work in tourism as people have told me the number of people on the island doubles in summer so in answer to your other question, yes it is quieter just through the winter but it suits me fine at the moment but we shall see next summer.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

oops, must have been half asleep when I wrote that.....it's terrible nobody would want to come here

TBH I don't really know what the typical jobs are here, I work as a printer printing La Ultima Hora (amongst other things) and OH works on TV & radio but I'm guessing many work in tourism as people have told me the number of people on the island doubles in summer so in answer to your other question, yes it is quieter just through the winter but it suits me fine at the moment but we shall see next summer.
Good to see you back.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I always thought Menorca closed for the winter
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!!Good on you both.Hope youre happy there.

Keep us informed.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I've been there a few times on our boat and just love the place.

The only downside I can think of is the winter weather. It's stuck right out in the middle of the Med and suffers from the dreaded Mistral winds that affect the South of France.

It will be pretty quiet in winter as it's not a good place for a sunny winter holiday.

I'm sure you will enjoy it though.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:45 pm
Yaaarp

Originally Posted by Fred James
I've been there a few times on our boat and just love the place.

The only downside I can think of is the winter weather. It's stuck right out in the middle of the Med and suffers from the dreaded Mistral winds that affect the South of France.

It will be pretty quiet in winter as it's not a good place for a sunny winter holiday.

I'm sure you will enjoy it though.
Funny you should mention the winds, one of the guys from work was talking about this on Sunday, how you need to lean forwards just to walk and (I kid you not) the tail wind I had on the way to work a few days ago improved the fuel economy on our car....shame there wasn't a tail wind on the way back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.