Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

DesparateGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Im not being unsympathetic anyway .... I only try to show what the realities are against what should happen, and in that way you dont necessarily end up in a situation you hadnt bargained for :-)
when Eve went to labour, I guess Adam didn't have an EHIC card,
I am also sure he wasn't employed, yet she made it, bless her soul.
I will go through it, whatever happens.
I rang the Spanish consulate today and they were fantastic.
They said you get all the normal treatment free, but for labour you pay.
then they said, no you actually get that too free if you have an EHIC.
provided it's an exceptional circumstance or emergency then you're fine.

that's what they said anyways.

thanks ever so much guys.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Strange that disagrees with the UK site
The UK Consul were involved in my problem too, but its still not sorted

Well, good luck with it anyway
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

hello Mitzyboy,

which you UK site? the EHIC? that's not UK site that's rather a Europe site.

• It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.

• It includes routine maternity care, (provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth).

the underlined bit is the only bit that's controvertial I guess, and that's up to personal interpretation.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesparateGeezer
hello Mitzyboy,

• It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.

• It includes routine maternity care, (provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth).

the underlined bit is the only bit that's controvertial I guess, and that's up to personal interpretation.
The EHIC card is primarily meant for tourists. If you have maternity care, give birth and then have post-natal care in Spain and the only cover you have is the EHIC card, then it is most likely that the hospital will send you a bill for treatment as it will be clear that you are not on holiday.

Given the restrictions of flying in late-pregnancy you can't really argue that you are "accidently" in the country at the time of birth.

It sounds like you want to be a health tourist which Spain doesnt like and may try and bill you for.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

hello Mitzyboy,

while I might be sympathetic to any circumstances making you desperate enough to want to move countries to give birth - I don't think think it's open to interpretation at all

I suspect that when it comes to it you might have to actually prove that there was no intention to give birth in Spain

or be landed with a bill
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
I think is Cricketman right about this one. The Ley de Menores says absolutely nothing about "financial hardship" as a qualifying criteria. It does say any child "at risk" is eligible for free health care. In practice this means that all children qualify since a child without health care is by definition "at risk".

Except in Valencia where what happens in practice is sometimes rather different. I don´t know whether this is a policy of Generalitat or just down to particular funcionarios/ health centres The Sindic of Grueges (Valencia Ombudsman) has said that children are covered and suggested anyone having problems should contact him.
I wish that he were.

We contacted the ombudsman and hence the OFFICIAL replies that we got from both him and from the Valencian 'system'.

(Expat) children are covered the same as nationals, that is, only if their is hardship will they be covered without paying into the system.

As I am not employed and am not autonomo my only choice (to cover my children) is to pay 270 euros per person per quarter (Valencian system) or to go private and not have existing conditions covered.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

I wish that he were.

We contacted the ombudsman and hence the OFFICIAL replies that we got from both him and from the Valencian 'system'.

(Expat) children are covered the same as nationals, that is, only if their is hardship will they be covered without paying into the system.

As I am not employed and am not autonomo my only choice (to cover my children) is to pay 270 euros per person per quarter (Valencian system) or to go private and not have existing conditions covered.

So whats this then? Please explain.

Ta
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

hello Snikpoh,

same here I am eager to know about that bit.

if we do have to pay 270, I don't mind that, I will pay it, but how and to whom?

thanks
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

hello Snikpoh,

if we do have to pay 270, I don't mind that, I will pay it, but how and to whom?

thanks
The Valencian Government introduced a system last year whereby (expat) people below retirement age and not contributing, can pay a 'nominal' fee to get health care. This works out at 270 euros per person per quarter.

Note that this is only for the Valencian region.

This has been covered on this forum before and I'm sure contact details were posted at the time.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
So whats this then? Please explain.

Ta
hello Snikpoh,

thanks
here you are

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...care-valencia/
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
That's just for you mind. Times two, times four, over €2,000 a year. Just be grateful you don't have a few kids!
Some info here,
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...care-valencia/

Edit. Whoops, lynnxa just beat me to it.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I guess in some circumstances it would be more viable to become autonomo,even if you did not do any work as your wife and family would be covered ,so that brings about the question ,out of all types of autonomos who pays the least?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Rotor
I guess in some circumstances it would be more viable to become autonomo,even if you did not do any work as your wife and family would be covered ,so that brings about the question ,out of all types of autonomos who pays the least?
you're right it would be good if you could set up a dummy self-employment- but they seem to have caught on to that

I think snikpoh has looked into it in great depth

I believe the autonomo payments are age related - not linked to specific employment or earnings
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt the Valencian system open to Residents only?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you're right it would be good if you could set up a dummy self-employment- but they seem to have caught on to that

I think snikpoh has looked into it in great depth

I believe the autonomo payments are age related - not linked to specific employment or earnings

I know people who do this for family cover , theve never had any problems as far as I know ,afterall your not ripping anyone off and are unlikley to use more than you contribute unless your very unlucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.