medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

DesparateGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

hello guys,
I and the Missus, we're going Spain and we have EHIC cards,
the former E111 certs are now EHIC, and I am worried about treatment there
do we have to pay for antenatal checks and hospital treatment in Spain?

thanks in advance for answering
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Originally Posted by DesparateGeezer
hello guys,

An EHIC card is what covers you when you are a UK resident and go abroad on holiday. It doesnt cover you for health care when you are a resident in Spain.

Unless you are of retirement age or contribute to the system here you will be looking at private health care
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

If you apply to the DWP International Medical benefits in Newcastle they issue you with an E106 which gives you up to about 18 months cover here, depending on your UK contributions. After that you have no real entitlement, although in Valencia region you can contribute to the health system and get health cover but it aint cheap.

I keep hearing stories about Spain thinking of giving free health care to all, but I find it difficult to believe in the current financial climate
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

hello guys,

The health cards are mainly for necessary emergency medical treatment whilst on holiday, not for routine treatment or a permanant health service.
You do not say if you are going on holiday or planning to stay on, in which case you may need other arrangements.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

to be honest I hoped to have our baby born there that's all.

is there noway around it guys?

thanks ever so much for your contributions.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:11 pm
Senior Moment

Well we havent got much to go on ...... how long are you going to be here? Normally if you are here for more than 3 months you have to start the process to what was called residency. Will you be working?

If you are on holiday then your EHIC card will cover you for emergency treatment here. I dont think they will treat antenatal visits as an emergency I'm afraid.

You wont be contributing towards the system here. Its a contribution based system in Spain. You have to be paying into it.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:11 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

there's no real way around it, if you are planning to live here - & I'm also pretty certain that ante-natal wouldn't be covered on the EHIC 'holiday' card

the health system here is contribution-based - so if you want to use it you have to pay into it

if you are on a UK pension, the UK pays for you

otherwise you have to pay - either as an employee or as self-employed

as Mitzy says, in the Valencia region you can 'buy in' - although it is expensive
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:12 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by lynnxa
there's no real way around it

the health system here is contribution-based - so if you want to use it you have to pay into it

if you are on a UK pension, the UK pays for you

otherwise you have to pay - either as an employee or as self-employed

ad Mitzy says, in the Valencia region you can 'buy in' - although it is expensive
Beat ya to it!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Beat ya to it!

forced me to edit
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

that's fine, thanks for your help anyways,

one more question please,

how about Gibraltar? it's more or less to do with Britain.

has anyone tried medical care there? or is very expensive?

thanks
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

how much would I expect to pay as rent for a furnished flat in the far south of Spain please guys?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I'm also pretty certain that ante-natal wouldn't be covered on the EHIC 'holiday' card
It covers you for more than you might think - it is no longer just for "emergencies".

Routine ante natal care is covered but deliberately coming to Spain for treatment (including childbirth) is not covered.

From the NHS site:-

What does the EHIC cover?

• It will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your stay because of either illness or an accident.

• The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers.

• It allows you to be treated on the same basis as a resident of the country you are visiting i.e. you may have to pay a patient contribution (also known as a co-payment). You may be able to seek reimbursement for this when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.

• It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.

• It includes routine maternity care, (provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth).

• It includes the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care.

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

hello Fred,

that's a life line for us mate, I really appreciate it.

I went to the EHIC card website and saw this info before,

but when I wanted to make sure I was shocked to hear our friends here,

they surely are right because they seem to have experience with the issue,

however the EHIC website maybe lying to us somehow.

thanks
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

hello Fred,

thanks
would someone please check that the EHIC is correct by contacting a GP?

I really as my nickname says, am (Desparate).

thanks guys.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

hello Fred,

thanks
Fred, please check personal message mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.