Mates in spain

Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:53 pm
KateK

KateK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mates in spain

Hi there, i'm new to this forum and have been reading away at all the threads on here and have found it to be really useful so i thought i'd join and introduce myself.

I'm Kate, 26, and moved to Costa del Sol (Fuengirola area) in Oct 06. My boyfriend has family in Torreblanca and so after a number of holiday visits we're pretty familiar with the area and the lifestyle we're taking on.

I love living here but as i'm not currently working and have found it difficult to meet people and establish some friendships. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good ways to get meeting people or if anyone feels the same and could do with getting a group of friends together for some nights out or a even a coffee and a stroll round the shops, then please let me know.

I've been searching the net for a meeting friends abroad website but all that comes ups is dating websites ! I speak to my friends back home regularly but it would be great to meet some people over hear who you can share the same experiences with.

Thanks, Kate
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:02 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mates in spain

Originally Posted by KateK
Hi there, i'm new to this forum and have been reading away at all the threads on here and have found it to be really useful so i thought i'd join and introduce myself.

I'm Kate, 26, and moved to Costa del Sol (Fuengirola area) in Oct 06. My boyfriend has family in Torreblanca and so after a number of holiday visits we're pretty familiar with the area and the lifestyle we're taking on.

I love living here but as i'm not currently working and have found it difficult to meet people and establish some friendships. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good ways to get meeting people or if anyone feels the same and could do with getting a group of friends together for some nights out or a even a coffee and a stroll round the shops, then please let me know.

I've been searching the net for a meeting friends abroad website but all that comes ups is dating websites ! I speak to my friends back home regularly but it would be great to meet some people over hear who you can share the same experiences with.

Thanks, Kate
Hi there KateK and welcome

I'm very new to this forum also, but everyone seems so friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't live in your area, but if you pick up the local english paper, I'm sure you'll find lots of groups and activities with meeting dates and such.

I'm sure there are some in the forum from your area as well......best of luck in your pursuit of new friendships
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate, and welcome, you do not mention, do you have any children? Always a good way of meeting other young Mums. Agree a good idea to check out local papers and see what is on, there are salsa and other dance classes in Fuengirola, also Spanish lessons, should meet new people there.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is really important to have friends. I have met several people from this forum who have become friends. Some people think I am nuts arranging to meet what amounts as complete strangers but go for it.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:15 pm
MnM

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
For me it is really important to have friends. I have met several people from this forum who have become friends. Some people think I am nuts arranging to meet what amounts as complete strangers but go for it.
I don't think your nuts. We don't have any problem meeting new people whether it be online or in a cafe
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough

Obviously usual precautions apply.
Take someone with you if meeting anyone and meet in a public place.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:44 pm
MnM

Originally Posted by Mr Impish
Obviously usual precautions apply.
Take someone with you if meeting anyone and meet in a public place.
Absolutely!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

GEEGEEGIRL is on a distinguished road

Hello Kate I moved to Chiclana in September last year and although I wanted to make the big move with the hubby I found the first Christmas and New Year very hard to get through. I left lots of friends and missed going out and meeting them. We also ran a shop in a mall so we knew lots of people. then we moved into this property that we are renovating which had an eight foot wall all around. Sometimes I just wanted to pack up and go home but slowly things are getting better. I now go riding which is my passion and have met some nice people. I have organised 30 of my friends to come over and stay for the Horse Ferie in May which will be great. Maybe you could get some friends to come over and see you, I am sure they won't need an excuse to come to Spain. Anyway good luck and viist the forum. If anything Andy Pipkin will make you laugh and you will certainly make friends.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:48 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Kate
Hi Kate, I hope you do make some new friends. I have just got off the phone to my daughter who is living in the Costa Blanca, unfortunately too far away to meet up with you, she has been telling me the same story! She has been there since the 18th Jan and although she was (and still is) excited and is learning Spanish she hasn't made any friends yet. She is still looking for work and I am hoping it won't be long before she finds work and hopefully meets new people that way.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:00 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Kate
Hi Kate,

Try to find the pub/bar where the working expats hang out. In Fuengirola I imagine there's loads but I've ususally found that there's always pubs where clusters of local workers hang out. May seem cliquey at first - pretty much because it usually is - but it's a good way to get to know people, introduce yourself and, more importantly when you first arrive, it's great for networking.

You can't miss these types of bars to be honest. They'll most likely be a bar that's been under the same (British) ownership for years, will have Sky Sports (usually several decoders so as not to disappoint!!!), be a bit on the grubby side and will not be as overpriced as some of the other Brit style tourist pubs - or at least offer workers rates.

When you've come to find a group of people you get on with you can drop these pubs like the plague later on - or at least just drop in once in a blue moon to be polite!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:08 pm
KateK

KateK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies guy, it's nice to know i'm not the only one out there who's longing for a good old girlie chat !

I was also thinking of joining a yoga or palates class in the Fuengirola/Mijas area, so if anyone knows of an english one please let me know.

Thanks again

Kate
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:13 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Hi Kate,

Try to find the pub/bar where the working expats hang out. In Fuengirola I imagine there's loads but I've ususally found that there's always pubs where clusters of local workers hang out. May seem cliquey at first - pretty much because it usually is - but it's a good way to get to know people, introduce yourself and, more importantly when you first arrive, it's great for networking.

You can't miss these types of bars to be honest. They'll most likely be a bar that's been under the same (British) ownership for years, will have Sky Sports (usually several decoders so as not to disappoint!!!), be a bit on the grubby side and will not be as overpriced as some of the other Brit style tourist pubs - or at least offer workers rates.

When you've come to find a group of people you get on with you can drop these pubs like the plague later on - or at least just drop in once in a blue moon to be polite!!!!!

Sounds a tad risky in my eyes . young lonely 26 year old lady hanging around that sort of bar ? Could be misread maybe ? all them lads watching footy tanked up on them artificial real Ales ! sounds like one of them it will end in tears sort of things to me ?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:16 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Sounds a tad risky in my eyes . young lonely 26 year old lady hanging around that sort of bar ? Could be misread maybe ? all them lads watching footy tanked up on them artificial real Ales ! sounds like one of them it will end in tears sort of things to me ?

Kate said she had a significant other. I assumed the advice was for two. But........
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Kate
Hi Kate.

It can be hard at first to make friends, you have to get a new attitude and approach people, start a conversation with anyone you here speaking English and just say ' I'm new here!'. We have all done it. I live in an area with very few english speakers so I would literally stalk anyone I heard speaking English. My best friend is moving to Estaponia in April and she is wicked fun, keep coming on this site and you will soon pick up your confidence.
Good luck

love

maryx x x
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:31 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Kate said she had a significant other. I assumed the advice was for two. But........
Yea but you know how it goes ,
They go together to the bar have a few Real Ales or 2 ! They get tiddly the lads hone in on her, he has to defend her honour fight breaks out ! He gets injured police come and say " El trubblio makeroros brittyios " they get deported she blames him ! He blames her for wearing that tight red top ! Split up and dream in the sun ruined .....

trust me could end up in tears !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.