Reload this Page >

Maternity Clinics In Spain

Maternity Clinics In Spain

Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Sammie2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity Clinics In Spain

Hi,

I am currently 10weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and am moving to Spain in April. I have looked into getting private health insurance but cant get cover as i am already pregnant and they all say that you have to had the policy for 10 months or more before you can claim for a pregnancy.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Can anyone help with a clinic or english midwife in the Malaga area?

Thanks Sammie
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity Clinics In Spain

Sounds like couple of options are either go Private or as other brits have done and you shouldnt but use your EHIC card, personally I wold wait and have the baby in UK, at least they know your medical history, speak English etc.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:54 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a good idea to look for a "mums in Spain" type forum, I am sure you would get more info from them.

I would hazard a guess that most of the posters on here are way past having children, or not interested in breeding.

Good luck anyway.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Your EHIC will cover you initially for routine maternity care but not for the birth unless it is unexpectedly early.

You should read this:-

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...vingbirth.aspx
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Sammie2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your replies! They have been most helpful.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I do know two mums that have used the EHIC to give birth in Motril, both not registered here or resident. not saying it would be ok but both went through from start to finish
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
I do know two mums that have used the EHIC to give birth in Motril, both not registered here or resident. not saying it would be ok but both went through from start to finish
I suppose people not registered here would/will be entitled as the are covered by the UK scheme.

But I am sure that the OP will be inelligable as she will/should be registered as she has to put her children in shcool.

And the UK gov will know she is no longer UKres. because of this.

As I say I this is supposition, and I could be wrong, but another thing to have in mind is that with the dire straights the SS is in Spain, there might be cuts and/or more vigilance as to who is getting what out of the system.

The op could be taking a big chance in not getting the correct information from the horses mouth.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very wary of trying to do anything risky regarding elligibility. We have our health care covered and OH has 2 years history with our hospital but fairly recently his health card was damaged so the surgery issued him with a new temporary one. When we went to emergency (we do this regularly) they wanted to see his passport as well because they did not like him having a temporary card, even though all his details were on the computer screen they were suspicious.

Rosemary
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

One option is to just pay the one-off cost of the pregnancy in Spain. If there are no complications it would be around 2-3,000 euros

A few months ago when we had our baby in the CDS hospital a Russian woman arrived and had to hand over their credit card before they would admit her. That is the amount they quoted to her lawyer
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:40 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

If your UK NI contributions are up to date, I think you may be able to get up to 2 years state (or reduced cost) health cover in Spain under the old E106 (now seems to be called the S1). You need to get the ball rolling and apply for this from the DWP now, in order to make sure you will get cover (and for what) before you move. Best speak to the "horse's mouth" - DWP!